Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12
Re: Another reason not to get into the 3D fad.
Zarak #313012 07/01/10 05:50 PM
local
local
I just saw an espn commercial with guys wearing those glasses. SORRY!!! They look ridiculous and I can't see people talking to each other with those things on. I just don't see it. I can only see 3d as a single person viewing experience because of it.

7.1 theater room
60 fronts vp180 center 4 qs8's ep500 sub

3.0 tv room
m3's vp150 center
jhunt17 #313014 07/01/10 05:56 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
It could be worse. They might come out with a new technology one day that requires wearing Speedo's while viewing.

shocked

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD
Zarak #315954 07/21/10 07:23 PM
devotee
devotee
So A few days ago I was at my local best buy and tested out a 3D tv. They had a volly ball game playing on it. I put the goggles on which were not very comfortable and watched for a little while. I think the technology is not cooked yet. I felt like my eyes would get tired after watching for a longer period of time. It seemed like the refresh rate was not fast enough. That said I was pretty impressed with the 3d I was seeing. When the volly ball came straight at me it would bounce off the sand and then come right out of the tv. At one point when one of the girls jumped to hit the ball she was in the store not the tv. =) It was cool seeing the audience on a seperate layer as well as the mountains in the back etc.... I assume the content was recorded specifically for this type of format though and it will be years before lots of 3d content exists. For video games this would be a pretty cool technology.

PeachTree 65se, PeachTree D5 and SVS SB1000 - Stereo
M80s, M22s, SVS PB3000

Listener #315972 07/21/10 10:00 PM
J
shareholder in the making
J

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #315978 07/21/10 10:50 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Oh man I completely forgot, I went down to my local HHGreggs last weekend & tried out the 3D set-up they had laid out. For the first few minutes I thought it really SUCKED!!! Then I realized you have to actually turn on the goggles ( shocked ).

Ok hit the tiny little button and... aaaahhhh, THIS is what it's all about! I must admit, it was freakin cool! The demo they played was a loop with everything from sports, space station footage, cartoons, live tv & more. It was really neat to see the figures close to the camera stand out and the stuff in the background fade WAAAY back into the backyard somewhere. Far cooler than I ever would have given it credit for.

That was the good news. The bad news is, those glasses were on my face for a whole 10 minutes and I wanted to throw them against the wall half way through the audition. NOT comfortable at all. And they had horrible glare on the inside of the glass from the store lights, I tried cupping my hands around the exposed area to stop the glare, but no matter what I did I couldn't stop the light from coming in & really causing annoying glare!!! Completely unusable design.

But better glasses isn't a fix-all. I also tested looking at the screen with the glasses on, then flipping the glasses down... The screen looks MUCH darker when viewing with the glasses, and the colors don't look nearly as vibrant nor do they POP like they do on the 2D sets (or the 3D set w/out the glasses on). So picture quality does indeed take a severe hit when viewing with those terrible glasses.

The other bad news is, like has been mentioned on here already, after just a 10 minute viewing I actually started to feel a bit nausiated! Perhaps this was due to the fact that I was standing up? I don't know, all I know is that when I took the glasses off and started walking towards the exit I thought for a split second that I was walking on a boat deck & had to get by bearings back. That wasn't a favorable experience. In fact I rather loathed it.

So all in all, the effect was far neater than I was expecting it to be... but the side effects were even worse than I'd heard they were. A 3D tv with glasses will never be on my list of wants. Now, if they can bring that effect to tv's without glasses, and the brightness & color don't suffer, I may have to rethink my stance.

But there's a lot of ground to make up from now to then. And for now, it's a big, fat, "HELL NO"!!!!

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD
ClubNeon #318710 08/16/10 01:49 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Link to trouble in 3D land.

Since this link doesn't work properly, I copied article here.

It was hailed as the great saviour of the film industry, but since 3D technology propelled Avatar to a record-breaking $2.73bn box-office haul, fears are growing that Hollywood is endangering its profitable new format.

Lack of depthSeveral 3D films have topped the box office charts this year, including Alice in Wonderland and Clash of the Titans. Yet, a string of recent 3D films has stumbled at the box office, notably Cats & Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore, which flopped, and Step Up 3D, which made less than the first two films in the dance series, both of which were released in 2D.

Hollywood studios like 3D because consumers have so far been willing to pay a premium to see the films. But with 3D tickets costing as much as 50 per cent more than comparable 2D films, analysts have expressed doubts about whether consumer appetite for the format can be sustained – particularly if the films are poor.

“The studios and theatres are overpricing 3D films and there’s too much of it out there,” said Richard Greenfield, an analyst with BTIG Research.
EDITOR’S CHOICE
Cinema groups face up to 3D realities - Aug-15
Shrek 3D film fails to pull in the cash - May-25
Middle class opens India’s age of cinema - Aug-13
Film-going defies recession - Jul-21
Nigel Andrews: The birth of the summer blockbuster - Jul-16

“They are converting all of their movies into 3D without any regard to quality.”

A US ticket for Cats & Dogs, which was panned by critics, cost up to 50 per cent more than Christopher Nolan’s Inception, which was released in 2D recently to great critical acclaim. Yet Cats & Dogs cost less to make than Inception and was only converted into 3D after production had finished.

“Why should releasing a film in 3D and having the audience wear 3D glasses cost more?” asked Mr Greenfield.

The studios have packed their release schedules with 3D films: Tron: Legacy, The Green Hornet, Megamind and Yogi Bear are lined up for the coming months, while Avatar will be re-released in 3D at the end of August.

Proponents of 3D insist that it can be a powerful tool when used correctly. “It’s a tool for filmmakers and a premium entertainment experience for moviegoers,” says Rick Heineman, vice-president of marketing at RealD, which makes 3D projection systems for cinemas.

But other analysts say Hollywood is playing a risky game by betting on unwavering consumer enthusiasm for 3D – and for higher prices.

“The studios are guilty of short-term thinking,” says Brandon Gray, president of Box Office Mojo, which tracks film box-office performance. “They all jumped on the 3D bandwagon but they’re avoiding the real issue, which is their bankruptcy regarding storytelling.”

Last edited by CatBrat; 08/16/10 01:52 PM.
CatBrat #318711 08/16/10 02:04 PM
<Nelson>Ha, ha!</Nelson>

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #318712 08/16/10 02:14 PM
axiomite
axiomite
There's a brief interview with James Cameron in the current issue of Entertainment Weekly in which he agrees that studios are being too opportunistic/greedy by making all of these sub-standard 3-D releases. However, he maintains that 3-D will catch on and eventually be as commonplace as color film.

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
medic8r #318723 08/16/10 03:50 PM
I think he's wrong. What I predict for the distant future is a Matrix-style movie experience, where you see it all in your mind.

Minus the spinal interface on the rear of your neck, of course.

pmbuko #318724 08/16/10 03:53 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Hmmm. ::rubs back of neck::

Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465