M22 stand with smaller footprint?
#313377 07/05/10 04:17 PM
D
Dave B Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
D
I like the look of the M22 stand, as well as how it hides the cables. But my fireplace's stone base juts out well beyond the fireplace itself and would get in the way. Is there another brand of stand that will properly hold the M22s with a narrower footprint?

Re: M22 stand with smaller footprint?
Dave B #313392 07/05/10 07:39 PM
axiomite
axiomite
A picture would help.

CatBrat #313417 07/05/10 11:31 PM
D
Dave B Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
D
I'll get one. But regardless of the visual, I'm mostly just curious about whether there's a stand with roughly the same width on the bottom as the speaker. Or at least more rectangular. (But if anyone wants to give me interior design ideas for what to do with the gap between kitchen and fireplace, I can get a whole bunch of photos!)

I actually have room for floor standing speakers. It'd just end up looking cramped next to a chair in the corner. There'd be WAF issues for sure, plus a pair of M80s would probably just be overkill for this room anyway. A narrower stand would elevate the speaker past the chair without getting near the base of the fireplace or the leg of the chair. I worry that that wouldn't be possible with the Axiom stands and that triangular base.

Dave B #313419 07/05/10 11:36 PM
axiomite
axiomite
There's always wall mount possibilities, perhaps. Maybe to the sides of the fireplace where there may be wood. (Hence the need for photos). Going with narrow stands you also run the risk of stands that are easy to topple over.

Dave B #313420 07/05/10 11:37 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

Maybe something like this?

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Wid #313422 07/05/10 11:50 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Dave, you may want to check out RacksandStands.com and StandsandMounts.com for wide selections.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #313423 07/06/10 12:26 AM
D
Dave B Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
D
Amazing that I never knew about those sites. Thanks.

Something like this would be great. Though it may be just a touch wider than the M22, I guess.

Oh, I found a photo from when I first moved in. I tore that stupid conduit off. The other side, which is only a few inches wider than the window, is the side with more of a space crunch.

If there was a way to wall mount them and still have plenty of clearance from the wall without looking bad behind it, I'd consider that. I worry that the mounts would be too visible though. Of course, a bit of wire will be visible leading into the stand too, which is not ideal.

Anyway, the stone at the very bottom of this pic is 3.5 inches. The front edge of it is 23" from the back wall, and the framed wall around the fireplace is 13" out (with a stud in that corner, obviously). I'm still unsure of what I'll put in the space to the left of a speaker on this wall. Perhaps a 48" wide fish tank. That's give it sort of a 2/3 and 1/3 split of the space and not make it odd that nothing's centered under the window. Especially if I put something like a plant on top of it on the left. Who knows. Anyone wanna play interior designer?

Not shown is that above the fireplace there's a cutout that holds a 50" plasma (which I hate - I want to fill it in and mount something larger). The fireplace and the space above the mantel basically make it impossible to position a center channel. So going with M2s up above the window remains a possibility, though it's not my preference. (I had a thread about that a few weeks ago back when I thought on-walls would be my only option.)

Dave B #313424 07/06/10 12:43 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I think if i were you. i would get an AV rack, single. for the area next to the kitchen to fill in that space a little bit.

this is the brand i personally like, Awesome build quality. and not crazy expensive.. you and the wife could sit down and customize one to the way both of you though was acceptable.

http://www.salamanderdesigns.com/syn/singles.jsp

i think for the stands, either wall mount like cat said... or i would say get some steel ones custom made. use 1/4" steel and then use 1 1/4" in or so steel rod to connect the base to the stand. If you google welders, im sure you can find someone that can weld some up for you relatively cheep, or you could go to harbor freight, and get a MIG welder for like 100$ ect and do it your self, then you would have a welding machine for any other projects.. i kind of waiting for an excuse to buy a welding machine, this would make a perfect excuse for me. then you just need a saw, which can be had at harbor freight also for pretty cheep.

I like this idea, because you can make what you want, and not be restricted by the design of someone else. I also like DIY projects.... and with 1/4' steel, your stands will be WAY stronger/heavier than ANYTHING you buy.....

I built some shelves for the speakers in my room, just got some metal L braces, and a blowtorch, and changed the angle from 90- 60, so they are pointing down towards me, i was limited to 60 as one of them is right above my door, and the end of the shelf is a few mm from the top of the door.

if you want i can take a few pic for you. i think that my shelfs cost me a total of 20$ and they can hold about 100lb each, and they are 12X12ish

anyhow there's my .02$

Last edited by dakkon; 07/06/10 12:44 AM.
dakkon #313425 07/06/10 01:10 AM
D
Dave B Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
D
Dakkon, that's very similar to the rack that the previous owners had in that location. The wires are actually intended to be on the other side, where multi room speakers are sourced. I of course relocated the entire house's AV components to a downstairs closet. So I don't have any need for a rack up here.

I'm a DIY type (fished all the wires myself, for instance) but I have no confidence whatsoever in my ability to design or weld something. Stands are cheap enough that I'd buy one.

I was thinking that shelves mounted to the side wall would get the speakers positioned well. But I don't think there's any way to do that without it looking goofy. Like the wall has ears or something.

Dave B #313570 07/07/10 07:51 AM
D
Dave B Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
D
I did some experimenting today.

First I bought a new rug, which I think fits the room perfectly, and it was damn near free. I'll never really get the idea of spending thousands on rugs. Then again, I have dogs and it's not wise to waste money on something they'll just shed and spit up on anyway.

Then I fished a wire up and over the fireplace and plugged in the Polks:

Then I grabbed the canopy from the 90 gallon tank I have downstairs, which is 4 feet wide, to get an idea for how much space it'd occupy on that wall (this photo has no flash, since it was making the color look weird. Real color of this place and cabinets can be seen in that post up above). It leaves plenty of space for a speaker (and the vent), but would probably not be the greatest influence on the sound.

Anyway, the front center of the Polks are 24" from the back wall and I'm going to be honest: They sounded pretty darn good in this alignment on the first try. The front of the couch is 8' away from them and the imaging is good despite the fireplace being between them. Downstairs I had them 36" from the wall. For something temporary, I'm happy. Now I can sit at my "desk" (the kitchen table) and not crank the volume of the ceiling speakers in the dining room.

This arrangement did bring to mind another question: At this distance (from the wall), are there any Axioms that stand out as clearly better (or worse) choices for me?

Obviously I'm trying to rationalize getting M80s. But they're much deeper than these Polks (which are 13w x 8d x 43h), which would place them very close to the wall in back.

The next question is what center to get and where I should put it. The previous owner had those stupid Bose cubes so they sat easily on the mantel. The bottom of the TV is 7" from there though so that limits me. I don't think a low center on a stand in front of the fireplace will pass WAF, and I think putting one up above the TV will look stupid unless I go with M2s up top too, which will then suck for music.

I'm leaning very heavily towards the HG burled walnut finish for whatever I get, though, based on this photo and setup I saw, plus the fact that we're going to have a table nearby with that same wood. The coffee table in the photos isn't going to be around much longer so the lighter wood won't clash. Or would that be too different from the kitchen?

Yes, I realize I've now departed entirely from the subject of my own thread. It should be obvious by now that I have been spending WAY too much time obsessing about getting this room just right. (And to think... there are still 4 other rooms, including the reference theater, to obsess about after this one!) I welcome and appreciate any and all input any of you might have.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters