Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Banks
RickF #313531 07/07/10 02:12 AM
veteran
veteran
Sorry to hear of this situation Rick; I understand what you're going through. A couple months ago my bank card was compromised as well. Luckily I make habit of checking online every couple days, so I caught the activity at the $1500 mark. My funds were returned, but what upset me was my bank was not "jumping" to help me! I actually called two of the places charges were placed at and they reversed charges before products were shipped. I got a letter from the bank a week later explaining they think there has been fraudulant activity --- you think! It's amazing how vulnerable we can be??? Amazing there are people out there preying on innocent folks????? Glad to hear you recovered evrything Rick.

M80's,VP180,QS8's,Epik Empire X 2
Integra 50.1,3 Emotiva UPA-1's,Antimode 8033
Pitbull24 #313546 07/07/10 03:12 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Mrs. Tuttle is seriously considering cookie jars, mattresses, cans buried in the backyard, etc.

We were with Washington Mutual for MANY years but since they went TU and were purchased by Chase, it's become only a matter of time before we go all Economic Survivalist or something. Currently shopping for a Credit Union.

Rick, I'm glad you were able to get this resolved.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #313583 07/07/10 01:29 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Tom, I was with Washington Mutual for years, too. I can't say that I'm a big fan of Chase.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
Adrian #313619 07/07/10 05:02 PM
RickF Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
It looks to be outright fraud now, today we were informed that somebody had enough of our personal information to have changed our home address from Vero Beach to Miami and they did just that, the bank is now addressing this as an identity theft case.

Oh the hassle.

Rick
Our Room

smile
RickF #313620 07/07/10 05:12 PM
P
aficionado
aficionado
P
I hate people like this, such scumbags. I have had my debit card copied twice, and had credit cards compromised three times as well. I haven't been out of pocket for any of it, but I try to be careful and it still happens. Such a pain in the ass. Three weeks after a trip to Europe someone spent $4400 at the Happy Hippo Lodge in Kenya (lol) on my Visa, I don't even know how something like that goes through without phone authorization.

Potatohead #313637 07/07/10 06:54 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I had somebody buy a raft of airline tickets in Italy on one of my credit cards. The credit card company reversed the charges, but since they were in $US and the exchange rate dropped like a stone between charge and reversal I still ended up out a hundred dollars or so.

We're still discussing who should eat the costs for that one... I'm pretty sure it's not me, the credit card company is pretty sure it's not them, and the airline has put up an impenetrable wall of incompetence by pretending not to understand what the credit card company is saying.

RickF; at least this increases the chances of somebody other than you suffering for what happened wink

Last edited by bridgman; 07/07/10 06:55 PM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
bridgman #313641 07/07/10 07:27 PM
H
htnut
Unregistered
htnut
Unregistered
H
Originally Posted By: bridgman
I had somebody buy a raft of airline tickets in Italy on one of my credit cards. The credit card company reversed the charges, but since they were in $US and the exchange rate dropped like a stone between charge and reversal I still ended up out a hundred dollars or so.

We're still discussing who should eat the costs for that one... I'm pretty sure it's not me, the credit card company is pretty sure it's not them, and the airline has put up an impenetrable wall of incompetence by pretending not to understand what the credit card company is saying.

RickF; at least this increases the chances of somebody other than you suffering for what happened wink

I had this same problem with Paypal in the past. Refunds and/or credits wouldn't come out as a wash due to fluctuating exchange rates. They've changed that now though. Regardless of exchange rate, I get refunded the exact amount $CAD that was originally billed to my card.

So in your case, I'd have to say the credit card company (or perhaps more accurately the BANK associated with your credit card) needs to be on the hook for that one as they're the ones handling (ie. profiting from) the currency exchange afterall.

There's no way you should be out of pocket. The airline either deals in $US or has already accepted whatever discrepancy existed between the before and after exchange rate, so your credit card company and/or their bank needs to do the same.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters