#313877 07/09/10 03:09 PM
L
regular
OP Offline
regular
L
greetings ,
i have the wallmount m22's ordered .
what would be a half decent receiver to drive them?
id like to be able to play mp3's on it .
maybe 5.1 would be surfice?
be advised that im fairly new to all this .
my budget would be $500.00 canadian , or less .
i live in newfoundland canada .
thanks for your time .
cheers .

Last edited by littlejohn; 07/09/10 03:12 PM.
Re: budget receiver ,,
littlejohn #313880 07/09/10 03:24 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Since I'm a Pioneer guy, I'd recommend the Pioneer vsx-1019ah-k. It retails for 500, but you could probably find it cheaper if you check around.

Another idea is to Google for "refurbished receivers". I get a lot of ideas for receivers when I do this. The most popular receivers seem to be (in this order) Denon, Onkyo, Marantz, Pioneer. There are others, but not a lot of mention, such as Yamaha. Some people say that the refurbished units are actually better than the new ones.

As far as sound quality, IMO I think weight has a lot to say about the power supply, but this might not apply much in the 500 and under quality of receivers.

CatBrat #313887 07/09/10 04:33 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Onkyo refurbs are usually an excellent value either at ShopOnkyo.com or accessories4less.com.

When you say "play MP3's" - what will you use for a player (computer, iPod, etc.)? I'm not sure you can get a network-ready receiver for that price, but any receiver should be able to accommodate a MP3 source device (some more elegantly than others).

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #313889 07/09/10 04:38 PM
L
regular
OP Offline
regular
L
Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
Onkyo refurbs are usually an excellent value either at ShopOnkyo.com or accessories4less.com.

When you say "play MP3's" - what will you use for a player (computer, iPod, etc.)? I'm not sure you can get a network-ready receiver for that price, but any receiver should be able to accommodate a MP3 source device (some more elegantly than others).

yes , i was thinkin an ipod . or any mass storage device that would work on said receiver .
again , this is all new to me .
the last stereo system i purchased was way back in the 80's . lol .
alot has changed since then .
any help and suggestions i could get , will be educational , to say the least .
cheers for the replys people .

littlejohn #313892 07/09/10 05:02 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Concerning the Pioneer vsx-1019ah-k that I originally mentioned, I went to the Pioneer site and looked at the manual in pdf format. It says it has a USB port for digital audio players (MP3 players) of format FAT16/32.

Here's a link for it. Just click on the Documents tab, then the "owners manual" link. I then searched for MP3 and it came up with just a few lines in the document.

CatBrat #313895 07/09/10 05:17 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Yep, the '19 has an ever prettier looking interface, but even my 1018 can take a USB memory stick plugged into the front and play the audio files on it.

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
ClubNeon #313935 07/10/10 02:05 AM
D
old hand
old hand
D
Your M22s will be good enough that you'll quickly get angry with MP3 music. You'll be able to tell the difference. Store your music in wav, flac, or apple lossless (depending on your computer/player).

That's unrelated to your question, but worth mentioning.

For $500 you could find a very good used Nakamichi RE-10 or AV-1s or AV-10 or something along those lines, I bet. It might take a while for one to pop up, but their sound quality is excellent.

Those are old though.

I'm a big fan of scouring Audiogon for great deals. No need to buy a $500 receiver when you can find a $2000 unit that's used a bit. They're broken in for you and sound way way better. This is especially true since you just bought nice accurate speakers, so you'll notice the difference in quality. Since you're not looking for advanced HDMI features or eight million varieties of 9.2 surround, you can pick up a great deal on a slightly older unit from someone who does now need/want that stuff. I bet there are also plenty of Onkyos and Integras out there within your budget.

Dave B #313972 07/10/10 01:26 PM
L
regular
OP Offline
regular
L
wow , right glad you mentioned the mp3 thingy .
as i said , its all new to me .
i have ordered at present,,
the m22 v3 on wall speakers.$470.00
and the onkya tx-sr 308. i got it for $299.00.
and accorading to the reviews , its a great starter receiver .
the reviews were postive , on the receiver and the speakers .
what i needs now , is someone to reccommend me a player.
i would like a mass storage device .
again , its all new to me .
what do i need to buy?
back , when i was a young lad , there was no such thing , as , "mass storage" . lol
id like to thank,, you mates again , for helpin me on my way here .
i should have the receiver and speakers within 10 days .
now , i needs to order something to play music on it .
what would you buy , for the above gear?
cheers again , for the replies .
have a great weekend .
cheers .
Originally Posted By: Dave B
Your M22s will be good enough that you'll quickly get angry with MP3 music. You'll be able to tell the difference. Store your music in wav, flac, or apple lossless (depending on your computer/player).

That's unrelated to your question, but worth mentioning.

For $500 you could find a very good used Nakamichi RE-10 or AV-1s or AV-10 or something along those lines, I bet. It might take a while for one to pop up, but their sound quality is excellent.

Those are old though.

I'm a big fan of scouring Audiogon for great deals. No need to buy a $500 receiver when you can find a $2000 unit that's used a bit. They're broken in for you and sound way way better. This is especially true since you just bought nice accurate speakers, so you'll notice the difference in quality. Since you're not looking for advanced HDMI features or eight million varieties of 9.2 surround, you can pick up a great deal on a slightly older unit from someone who does now need/want that stuff. I bet there are also plenty of Onkyos and Integras out there within your budget.

littlejohn #314198 07/11/10 11:42 PM
D
old hand
old hand
D
Depending on how good you are with computers, you can build a very cheap PC (and, if necessary, external drive) storage device, which you can output via something like iTunes (or any of its competitors) to a USB DAC to the receiver. Or an Apple TV via optical digital to the receiver. I've also been told that there IS a way to use the headphone out jack on a PC or iPod that doesn't totally kill quality and gives a full digital signal to the receiver... though I don't know how.

Then if your music is in an uncompressed format, you'll be all set.

For me, I overpaid to get a brand new AppleTV because I wanted the optical out and control via my iPhone. I think it cost me $400 total for it plus a 2TB external drive. I have to hack the AppleTV to make it read from that drive (though I can still stream my music from my computer with that drive to the AppleTV) before it's perfect, but it's working pretty well for $400. And like I said, I overpaid. I bet it can be done for much less.

Dave B #314233 07/12/10 06:14 AM
J
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
J
Depends on what system you want to run PC or Mac? Mass storage is simple buy the biggest hard drive you can afford, tha bad part is converting all your cd's to FLAC or any form of LOSSLESS format you choose, WAV, WMA, AAC or the like.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics