New Home Theater Help
#314347 07/12/10 11:30 PM
K
Kilorth Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
K
Hi, I'm looking to buy a home theater soon and I'm really new to this. I'm looking for around 2,000$ for a full set up ( 5.1 speaker with receiver ) and may go up to 3,000$ if it is really worth it.

It's for my parent mostly, and, my parents and I prolly won't see much difference between a budget set or something in the 5 digit.

I was actually looking at the Epic Master 350. We will go in a room over the house garage that is around 15x14 in size. We are moving soon so I don't have all the information but we want to have it install as soon as possible because we are gonna do all at once since we are moving. I think the room is already set up for Home Theater but I dunno so I don't want like a killer sub as there are other in the house if we use it :P

So I was wondering if it was like worth it to pay a bit more for like the Epic Grand Master. Is the difference between the Master and the Grand Master really that noticeable? And I don't know what receiver to get. And also does the Grand Master need a better receiver than the Epic Master, as it would mean more cost actually.

I was wondering if like the Denon Avr-1610 was enough to drive the Epic Master or I might need to go with like the Avr-1910 as I can't find the power handling for the set. So does 5x75 watt enough for it? Or do I need 5x90 watt or even more?

And before finding this compagny for the speaker, I was looking at paradigm monitor series and it sounded good ( I'm use to TV Sound that sound ok so it is a big upgrade, and I worked in store so I have a not so bad price on it and I was recommended that, still the whole set for a lil bit less than 2,000$ with a denon avr-1610 ).

So umm, that's it, and since I don't have much time to check this since I move, any help will be apprieciated to make choice. Thank you.

PS: I will but the rear/surround speaker like 2 feet behind the couch like some people suggest on the forum. But if you can give me the whole advice or how to set it up ( It's my 1st time and I'm more of a computer guy ) It would be nice. I will hook up a PS3, a HD receiver on the receiver. Now I think it's enough information for now :P ( Sorry for the wall of text )

Re: New Home Theater Help
Kilorth #314349 07/12/10 11:42 PM
Jc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
Hi Kilorth,

Please, email me (jc@axiomaudio.com) a sketch of the room with dimensions and seating arrangement. I will send you a personalized recommendation with a suggestion where to locate your Axiom speakers.

jc
Jc #314353 07/13/10 12:35 AM
K
Kilorth Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
K
Thank you Jc.

I just sent you an email with a sketch ( done with mspaint ewww ) of the room. Will be waiting for your suggestion.

Also, I was wondering if you were able to recommend the speaker for the setup that will fit my budget.

Thank you again.

Kilorth #314356 07/13/10 12:42 AM
Jc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
Got it !

jc
Jc #314360 07/13/10 12:51 AM
devotee
devotee
Hi Kilorth! Welcome to the forum! Like you I am much more of a computer guy! smile People here have been really helpful. I just bought my HT set and still waiting for it to be shipped, what might happen tomorrow as I have been told. My new set if 3 M22's for the fronts and center and 2 QS8's for the surrounds with an EP350 as a sub. I just got my new receiver, a Denon 3310 and I am VERY VERY happy with it! I still didn't receive my speakers so in order to test it I just hooked up a couple of old speakers from my stereo. These speakers are 13 years old and I just couldn't believe on the sound I get from them now. Can't wait to get my new Axiom's. I won't give you any tips since I am not a pro on this matter, so I will just let the more experienced people do their job! Good luck!

Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it.
Ichigo_Kurosaki #314364 07/13/10 01:00 AM
K
Kilorth Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
K
Hi Ichigo, nice to meet you.

I see you went for the HT Epic Grand Master ( without the center ).

Can I know why you choose them over the Epic Master one? And also why no center?

And how much you got that Denon 3310 for? I see it listed for around 1.400$. Isn't it a little overkill when it is like 33% of the HT cost? I know it will sound much better than let's say a 1610, but is it worth 1k premium price?

As I feel you were in my shoes before you choose what to get, your opinion will be very valuable as it will help me choose, just like you did.

Thank you

PS: How much did the whole set cost you total?

Kilorth #314368 07/13/10 01:29 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Kil,

I don't think the 3310 would sound any better than a 1610. It basically just boils down to features.

-David
Kilorth #314370 07/13/10 01:48 AM
devotee
devotee
As I have been advised here on the forums if you have the space 3 identical speakers on the fronts will sound better than if you use a center with other 2 different speakers, if I am not wrong. Since most people don't have space to put a bookshelf of a floorstanding speaker under the screen they go with a center channel. I paid $700 on my Denon 3310 on sale, that's one of the reasons I got it. I had a lot of doubts choosing the right AV receiver and I am pretty sure I made the right one since I got a real nice price on it. If I remember correctly the Denon 2310 is a real nice one for a smaller budget. I think that here in Japan is more expensive than in US, since it costs around $500. The Denon 3311 was my first choice but since I spent a lot on the speakers, much more than I had in mind, had to get a cheaper model. My initial budget was $1200 but the guys here talked me into getting the system as I stated before. One difference between the M3 and the M22 is that they have a better mid range sound. Although some people prefer the M3, since they lack the midrange it gives a impression that it has more bass. With the set I got there will be no problem because of the EP350 woofer, which is good for movies and music. They have different prices for each countries so that might be cheaper for you to get the same set as myself.

Ichigo_Kurosaki #314371 07/13/10 01:54 AM
devotee
devotee
This was written by Jake when giving the answer of why 3 identical speakers on the front instead of using a center. The concept behind a vertically configured speaker(especially Dr. D'Appolito's vertical MTM design)is to minimize undesirable vertical dispersion and to maximize horizontal dispersion. Horizontally configured speakers generally get it backwards, but may be selected because of aesthetic considerations or vertical space limitations.

Kilorth #314374 07/13/10 02:08 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
K, welcome. You should find Jean-Claude's suggestions helpful, but in the meantime, I'll suggest that you give more consideration to the Grand Master. This is primarily because it includes the superb M22s, which I've used with great satisfaction for over eight years(and the new v3s are said to be even better!).

Don't worry about power ratings; the 1610 or similar should be more than sufficient. The difference between 75 watts and 90 watts is only about 0.79dB in maximum sound level(e.g., if 75 watts would allow playing a very brief peak at 103dB, 90 watts would do 103.79dB, a trivial difference).

Yes, the surrounds in a 5.1 setup should be a bit(maybe 2')farther back than directly to the side so as to provide a little "phantom" back surround effect in the absence of actual back speakers.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082