Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
For the photographers, any micro 4/3's folks?
#314572 07/13/10 11:24 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Yet another possible obsession... I was on a trip to Big Sur this past weekend and played around my new iPhone 4 (liking it so far and cell coverage is better than my 3G). Before I left on the trip, I bought the Hipstamatic camera app on a whim. Using some of the filters, a few of my photos came out pretty cool w/ almost no effort, aside from taking lots of pics and choosing the angle/subjects carefully. As a result, the bug has bit me a little.

I'm going on a trip to Machu Picchu in a few weeks. I'm considering getting a better camera than my Canon SD770 and I'm looking at the Olympus PEN EPL1. I definitely don't want to commit to an SLR (I won't use all the features and too heavy) but I want a step up. We'll be camping on the trail for 5 days so weight and batteries is a concern. I already stocked up on 4 batteries (thanks ebay) for my Canon and I probably can do the same for the Olympus.

Anyone had experience w/ these new micro 4/3's? I like the Sony NEX5 but it's way more $$ than I want to spend. Around $500 is probably what I can stomach.

BTW, here's a few of my favs from iPhone and Hipstamatic. Definitely $2 well spent.

Re: For the photographers, any micro 4/3's folks?
oldskoolboarder #314584 07/14/10 01:20 AM
J
shareholder in the making
J
I am looking at some of the newer Canon's myself to replace our older SD700is. I like that the newer ones take 720P movies now.

It looks like it was a nice trip.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #314621 07/14/10 05:19 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Cesar, I really like the way your pictures turned out!

I don't have much guidance to offer in your new camera selection, though. frown

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
St_PatGuy #314623 07/14/10 06:23 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I am a Cannon guy myself.

and i would tell you GET THE G11..

ok.... thats my opinion, if i was going to buy a point and shoot, or semi point and shoot, there would be no though for me, i would just get it....

When i lived in Hawaii, i did a LOT of photography, and i have quite a few friends that still live there, and one of them has the G11, and his shots are awesome, very sharp.

Oh and the G11 has Attachments, so it can be a Semi SLR, but still a point and shoot, it also has a hotshoe so you can get a nice flash for it if you so choose later.. i think its pretty much the best of both worlds.....Oh and it can shoot in RAW, this is important to me, because i usually print 16X20 or larger, and so will you soon enough laugh

G11 sample, probably has pro lighting though... but still good example.
HOLY crap, i didn't realize how big that image, was. but i did notice they are using light boxes, and probably using the wireless attachment on the G11..

http://www.dpreview.com/

I will say, Nikon are good also, my Uncle is a Nikon guy, and they have some nice products as well...

Anyhow, there is a lot to learn... main thing is to enjoy going to new places and seeing all kinds of cool stuff.

Last edited by dakkon; 07/14/10 06:28 AM. Reason: Thats what i get for linking to cannon.com with their HUGE samples.
dakkon #314624 07/14/10 06:24 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
Please make that smaller before you can't anymore!

dakkon #314626 07/14/10 07:35 AM
C
CV Offline
C
Thanks. smile

CV #314638 07/14/10 02:40 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Wow, the G11 is very popular. You are the 3rd person to directly recommend that.

Thing I noticed is that it doesn't have a flash. I'd have to get that, which would add weight and some cost.

And it doesn't shoot 720p vids.

oldskoolboarder #314654 07/14/10 03:36 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
I am an Oly shooter. I just like their user interface. They are comfortable to me. Not sure if they shoot any better than the other brands or any worse, but I do know that no matter what brand I go with, the camera will outshoot me, so that’s a mute point as far as I’m concerned. What’s important, is finding a camera that is comfortable for you. I have not messed with the micro 4/3’s, as I prefer DSLR. They do seam to fill a nitch market where folks want a compact size but the flexibility to swap lenses. Pretty cool. To me, if I want compact, it needs to be compact and fit in a shirt pocket. For that purpose I use the Oly shock and water proof cameras. They are good for when I’m on the water, and they do shoot well under water as well. The 620 is a very compact DSLR with the same sensor as the E30. I use both a 510 and E30. The E30 has incredible dynamic range that continues to impress the heck out of me. I just shoot in aperture priority and set that to get my desired depth of field and push the button and don’t worry about exposure. I suppose I should also mention that I do not use the camera’s JPEG engine and shoot Raw. I don’t know how well it does with JPEG. So having said that, I’m sure the 620 will shoot equally well as my E30. It’s pretty darn small too. You might want to give it a whirl.

michael_d #314680 07/14/10 05:10 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
oldskool, depending how how fast you want to buy a camera i would place money that the next generation of the G11 (G12), will do video. they went from the G10-G11 pretty fast, as the new processor came out that is currently used in the G11 the G11 uses which is the Digic 4 processor.. the 5D MKII, and the 50D, were the first 2 SLR bodies to have the latest version of the Digic 4 processor, those cameras do HD video, so i would imagine when they update the G11 line, they will get the updated processor as well, and probably a new sensor as well the 5D went from a 12mp to a 21.1mp . I "think" that canon updates their line in November? you would have to look that one up... you can get a small flash, you don't NEED a large flash, BUT keep in mind just about any off camera flash will EASILY out perform a flash in almost all point and shoot bodies. you can get a small canon flash, or if you choose you can get an aftermarket flash. Also keep in mind, you can pick up used camera gear pretty easy, and often times it's in Very good condition, there are people in the photography hobby who have LARGE amounts of money, and upgrade EVERY time something new comes out.

i would recommend getting a small backpack for whatever camera you do choose to get, so you can keep all your camera stuff together while camping.

At the point your at now, i would also recommend that you find a good local camera shop or 2 and go hold some of the cameras, and like michael recommended. Also personally i would not consider a camera that didn't shoot in RAW.

until you know a decent amount i would find a local camera shop that you can trust, so you can learn from them, When i lived in HI i bought everything from Kamiki camera, Neal the owner was a super cool dude, and like many small shop owners liked to shoot the shit, and teach new people about the hobby, so i had no problem giving him my business. As it turns out due to living in HI i would not have saved any money by ordering online anyhow, as shipping would have killed any savings, and Neal didn't mark his product up that much anyhow, due to his high volume, that comes from being the only decent camera shop on the island.

dakkon #314692 07/14/10 05:45 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Yeah, no rush. I was trying to get it quickly to have time to 'play' before I left but I don't want that timing to rush my decision.

The G11 is still intriguing, I like that the lenses are much cheaper. A photography friend also recommended the Panasonic GF1 which he now lives by, foregoing all his other gear. Then I saw how much more the GF1 is...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters