Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13
Re: My speakers arrived but...
Ichigo_Kurosaki #315913 07/21/10 03:27 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: Ichigo_Kurosaki
I also think so. That's why I am going to run Audissey again. Another question. If I am not mistaken usually center speakers are supposed to be louder than the FR and FL right? When I get my other M22 missing if I set all of them to plus 12.0 will the center have the same volume as the others front speakers or not?

All your speakers should be equal in output. Additionally, setting them all to +12, is the same as setting them all to +0. Really though, they should be set to the +/- which gets them to reproduce a reference level signal at reference levels from your listening position.

That means if reference is 85 dB, when you set your receiver's main volume knob to -0, and you're playing a signal which is recorded at reference level. When you sit in your listening position you should be hearing a sound pressure level of 85 dB.

That's what the receiver's auto setup program does. It plays reference level signals, and adjust each individual speaker's trim up and down until the microphone is receiving the proper level. There isn't anything you can do to influence the proper level. Just make sure there's a clear path from the mic to each speaker, and that the speakers are functioning correctly. The receiver will do the rest.

The only one where you have any influence is the sub-woofer. That's because it has its own volume knob. What you should do in this case, is run the setup, look to see what trim value the receiver picks as correct for the sub. Like yours said -12, that means you should turn the volume knob down on the sub. Then run the measurements again. What you're looking for is to get the trim level between 0 and +3. You don't want to go hotter than +3 for the sub output if you can help it. Some movies with a lot of bass may end up "clipping" the output signal of the receiver if you're listening at high levels. I try to get my receiver to adjust my sub's output trim to exactly 0 dB.

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
ClubNeon #315925 07/21/10 05:16 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
To follow up on Dr. House’s advice I would suggest that anyone using Audyssey start by turning it off and finding the best speaker placement first. Then when you do run Audyssey it should have less to correct allowing it to give better results.

I think Ken is right about the bass nulls. The T-Rex in J-park 3 is low bass (which he is getting) while the cannon shots in “Master and Commander” (which he’s not getting) are primarily mid-bass. I have the exact same situation in my room prior to using Charles’ SVS AS-EQ1.

@ Ichigo_Kurosaki - Are you feeling the deep rumbling bass but not the chest punch feeling of the mid-bass?

If so you can try playing around with your subwoofer positioning some more. One thing you can try is to move your subwoofer to right in front of your seating aiming at you. Mid-bass is best produced near-field though by moving it you will likely lose some of the deep bass rumble. I would try moving the subwoofer around a bit trying to find a balance between corner loading it and getting it near your seating. Once you find the best spot you can then rerun Audyssey and see if it helps smooth things out more.

Cheers,
Dean

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
grunt #315926 07/21/10 05:21 PM
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
Originally Posted By: grunt
To follow up on Dr. House’s advice I would suggest that anyone using Audyssey start by turning it off and finding the best speaker placement first. Then when you do run Audyssey it should have less to correct allowing it to give better results.

I think Ken is right about the bass nulls. The T-Rex in J-park 3 is low bass (which he is getting) while the cannon shots in “Master and Commander” (which he’s not getting) are primarily mid-bass. I have the exact same situation in my room prior to using Charles’ SVS AS-EQ1.

@ Ichigo_Kurosaki - Are you feeling the deep rumbling bass but not the chest punch feeling of the mid-bass?

If so you can try playing around with your subwoofer positioning some more. One thing you can try is to move your subwoofer to right in front of your seating aiming at you. Mid-bass is best produced near-field though by moving it you will likely lose some of the deep bass rumble. I would try moving the subwoofer around a bit trying to find a balance between corner loading it and getting it near your seating. Once you find the best spot you can then rerun Audyssey and see if it helps smooth things out more.

Cheers,
Dean

What about placing it on my side? Would it work? That's kinda tiring movie this beast around. LOL I wonder how people do moving around the EP800. smile

Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it.
Ichigo_Kurosaki #315927 07/21/10 05:23 PM
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
I just rerun Audissey and got a +3.5 for sub now. The gain knob was around 1/3. I will have to wait till tomorrow so I can listen to it some more. One thing I was wondering is about the crossovers. Audissey is setting the fronts on 40 HZ and if I am not mistaken the surrounds on 60HZ. Is there any explanation for that?

Ichigo_Kurosaki #315929 07/21/10 05:25 PM
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
Another thing I realized is that with sub turned off I hear the bass from the M22's more on the back corner of the room. Is it normal?

CatBrat #315931 07/21/10 05:30 PM
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
Originally Posted By: CatBrat
Do you like Lady Gaga? LoL. It has some nice bass.

Today I tested the Lady Gaga CD. LOL That has some good bass. Didn't know that, since I usually get songs and videos from internet download there might be a great loss on sound quality.

Ichigo_Kurosaki #315932 07/21/10 05:32 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Yup, that's your bass nulls and whatnot.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ichigo_Kurosaki #315936 07/21/10 05:37 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: Ichigo_Kurosaki

What about placing it on my side? Would it work? That's kinda tiring movie this beast around. LOL I wonder how people do moving around the EP800.

It might work but I find putting the sub off to one side or another makes it easier to localize. Also to feel the mid bass punch in your chest it’s best to have the sub directly in front of you with nothing in between. The next best place would be just behind your seating. Off to the side can work but like I mentioned for some people it then becomes easy to tell were the subwoofer is. Have you tried the subwoofer crawl?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV3oLLMgS-M

Doing this helped me find 2 of the 3 best subwoofer locations in my room. It took a $600 piece of equipment to find the 3rd so I’d say this crawl method works pretty well.

I think Axiom should include a hand-truck in the EP800 accessories pack. Or just put wheels on the sucker. I can’t imagine lugging that thing around. My EP500 is bad enough.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
grunt #315981 07/21/10 11:30 PM
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
Finally got an answer from Axiom. I have been told some of the staff are on vacation so for that reason they weren't able to answer my e-mail till I send a message from Axiom website. It was recognized they made a mistake and are shipping my other M22 today! smile Pretty soon I will have my set complete!

Ichigo_Kurosaki #315984 07/21/10 11:40 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Good news!

I guess I owe the FEDEX guy an apology.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters