C
CV Offline OP
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
C
Ha ha. I would love to see your queue sometime.

Re: So what are you watching tonight?
CV #316587 07/25/10 07:25 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
If you’re talking specifically about my Netflix queue I’m digging farther and farther down the ratings suggestions to find things I might like. I even dialed my subscription down from 8 at a time to 3 at a time and dumped Blockbuster altogether.

If you’re talking more generally I’ve got in excess of 4000 DVDs of which I’ve only watched a few hundred. Then there’s the stuff I’ve had to download just because it’s not available for retail or rental anymore. Things like the 200+ episodes of “Sailor Moon” both the English dubs and the original Japanese that hasn’t been edited for the U.S. I were to put all that on DVDs in standard formats it’s probably another 1,000 disks. I need to retire soon and start watching this stuff.

If you ever get around to Phoenix you’ll have to stop by.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
grunt #316589 07/25/10 07:50 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Really, over 4000 DVDs? Now I don't feel so behind on watching my own.

Stopping by would be great. I'll warn you if it ever looks likely.

RickF #316595 07/25/10 12:57 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: RickF
They are.

I think you'll enjoy the movie Scott ... my only beef with the movie is that the British accent is so strong that it was difficult for me to follow the dialog sometimes.

Not too bad, actually. The accent that is. My brother in law is Australian, I went to college with a guy from England whose accent was much thicker than any in the movie. And I work with lots of folks from India, each with a slightly different accent depending on where in India they are from and how much British influence there was.

The movie was quite entertaining to me. The Mrs. vote was "so-so".

Scott

Scott

My HT
a401classic #316683 07/26/10 03:49 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Just watched “Cosplay Complex” a 3 episode (unfinished) hour and 15 minute anime on one disk.

Ok, with a title like this you can guess there is plenty of fanservice. I would definitely categorize this as ecchi though not full blown hentai. Because of this reviewers seem to have a love or hate opinion of this and I fall on the love side because it’s just plain fun to watch.

Here are to opposite reviews:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/cosplay-complex/dvd

http://www.themanime.org/viewreview.php?id=792

There really isn’t much of a plot to speak of. What there is of two story arcs remain unfinished as the show abruptly ends after 3 episodes with nothing resolved. Besides just being funny, well at least if you’re an anime fan it’s also fun trying to identify all the anime and game characters being portrayed throughout the show. One of the DVD’s extras is “Cosplay 101” which identifies all the characters represented so you can see how many you got right. I only got about 1/3.

Not recommended if you want something serious, with character development, a plot, an ending, or w/o an abundance of fanservice. Otherwise it’s a fun way to spend a little more than an hour.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
grunt #316695 07/26/10 08:52 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Love Actually

I finally got around to watching it. I love Emma Thompson, but for some reason nothing I ever heard about this movie made me want to watch it. Now I know why. Richard Curtis has done some really good stuff, but this is his Avatar. Instead of breaking ground in special effects and movie-making tech, he pulled out all of the stops with his cast of British actors. It should have been, as it's called on the cover, "The Ultimate Romantic Comedy." In a sense, that's what it is. It's love at its most annoying and pretentious. Plenty of people I know have listed it among their favorites. Weirdos.

Ichigo_Kurosaki #316699 07/26/10 11:35 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: Ichigo_Kurosaki
Good thing English is not my native language so I find easier to follow other English countries accents. My only problem nowadays is with Aussies. I called to Australia last month and couldn't hardly understand one woman. The first I talked to on the phone I had no problem at all, but the second one for my total disbelief I had to ask her to repeat the sentence 5 times. The thing is that the question was, what's your full name. LOL smile

If you want a challenge, try calling Newfoundland Canada. It's English but they have dialects, twist on words, and a few of thier own words not found anywhere else in English North America. Yet somehow, even when you can't make them out, it's fun to listen to. Depends a lot on the area you call. In the City of Saint John's it's mainly just an accent with some unique words and expressions but drive just a few miles in any given direction and it gets multiplied manyfold.

I'm covering for systems engineer in Newfoundland this week while he is on vacation and it's been both a joy and a challenge trying to understand some people and customers.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #316703 07/26/10 12:00 PM
That sounds like fun, Murph.

I'm going to randomly call them here and there just for goofs!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Murph #316704 07/26/10 12:01 PM
devotee
devotee
Originally Posted By: Murph
Originally Posted By: Ichigo_Kurosaki
Good thing English is not my native language so I find easier to follow other English countries accents. My only problem nowadays is with Aussies. I called to Australia last month and couldn't hardly understand one woman. The first I talked to on the phone I had no problem at all, but the second one for my total disbelief I had to ask her to repeat the sentence 5 times. The thing is that the question was, what's your full name. LOL smile

If you want a challenge, try calling Newfoundland Canada. It's English but they have dialects, twist on words, and a few of thier own words not found anywhere else in English North America. Yet somehow, even when you can't make them out, it's fun to listen to. Depends a lot on the area you call. In the City of Saint John's it's mainly just an accent with some unique words and expressions but drive just a few miles in any given direction and it gets multiplied manyfold.

I'm covering for systems engineer in Newfoundland this week while he is on vacation and it's been both a joy and a challenge trying to understand some people and customers.

LOL That must be quite a challenge. Hopefully I might go to Canada someday to check it out! smile

Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it.
Murph #316706 07/26/10 12:27 PM
axiomite
axiomite
We watched "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" yesterday afternoon as it was raining all day. Basically a murder mystery where the producer tries to combine a traditional film style with a modern edge. It works for the most part. For me it was a bit slow at times but mystery lovers tend to be OK with a slower pace so it is probably OK for most. Subtitles always bug me for the first ten minutes or so but after that I forget I'm even reading them.

Worth seeing on a rainy day but my personal take is not with the reviewers who claim it is a "Must see". Pretty much every character, is too easily forgotten except Noomi Rapace's. She does a wonderful job of keeping her character intriguing in many ways.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Page 223 of 434 1 2 221 222 223 224 225 433 434

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters