Rate Thread
EP500 V3 Power LED is red when using trigger
#317237 08/01/10 12:49 AM
K
Kwilson Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Hi Fellow Axiom owners and fans,

I'm new to Axiom with a recent purchase of a 80-180-500 system and really like it so far but I have a couple questions that I hope someone on this board can help me with.

1. The trigger circuit on both of my EP500's does not seem to work or I have a mis-understanding of what color the Power LED should be when using the triggers. Let me explain in more detail.. When I plug in the trigger cable the LED turns from Green to RED, keeping in mind that no voltage is on the trigger line. When I plug the trigger line into my preamp (12v trigger) the LED is still red. The LED stays Red when the preamp is turned on and the 12v trigger is applied I would assume that it should be green.

2. Assuming that I don't use the trigger circuit and allow the SUB to just enter its power saving mode... How do I know that it has entered this state? After watching a movie the night before and going into my media room, the amp on the back of the sub was a little warm and if I put my ear up to the sub itself I could hear a slight hum. This was the same on both subs.

I have called Axiom and am waiting a reply but was hoping someone on this forum could answer my questions.

Re: EP500 V3 Power LED is red when using trigger
Kwilson #317242 08/01/10 02:04 AM
Axiom Engineer
devotee
Axiom Engineer
devotee
Hi,

It sounds like there is a problem with the trigger signal being sent by your pre-amp. If the sub is turned on with no trigger connected the LED should light up in green. If you then plug the trigger cable in with no voltage on the trigger cable, the LED will turn red. Now when your pre-amp trigger signal is engaged the LED should turn green again. Please check that you have the polarity correct at your pre-amp if you have screw terminals rather than an 1/8" jack. I spoke to a customer a few weeks ago with the same problem and he had the 12V and GND connections reversed.

Andrew

Andrew #317243 08/01/10 02:16 AM
K
Kwilson Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Andrew - Thanks for the quick reply.

My pre-amp is a Integra DTC-9.8 and it uses 1/8 jacks for the triggers..

One more thing is that when I daisy chain my subs together the last sub in the chain has a green LED and the one connected to the preamp has a RED one, this state is the same no matter if the cable in plugged into the amp or not. I'm going to measure the Voltage from the pre-amp to rule it out tonight.

Kwilson #373644 04/19/12 03:43 AM
C
C
Originally Posted By: Kwilson
Andrew - Thanks for the quick reply.what is smd 5050

My pre-amp is a Integra DTC-9.8 and it uses 1/8 jacks for the triggers..

One more thing is that when led lights flexible I daisy chain my subs together the last sub in the chain has a green LED and the one connected to the preamp has a led bulbs 12v RED one, this state is the same no matter if the cable in plugged into the amp or not. I'm going to measure the Voltage from the pre-amp to rule it out tonight.

How would i wire led strips to my car if i want a switch and will be using the car battery as the power source?

Kwilson #373657 04/19/12 11:30 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Christopher, I'm pretty sure in completely the wrong forum for this, not to mention the wrong thread.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Kwilson #373730 04/19/12 10:42 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Well, you can make a series circuit of leds where the sum of the voltage drops add up to about 14 volts or you can make a parallel circuit of leds where each leg of the parallel circuit contained a resistor to consume the voltage that the led does not require. There are many led calculators available to help you do this.

If the led strip is ready made and designed for automotive use (12 volts) and want to install your own switch, just make sure you use a fuse. But be careful, you don't want to drain the battery if you forget to turn off the switch. (You could use a relay that would only allow the switch to activate the circuit if the ignition was in the run position)

If you want a preexisting switch to control the strip to come on at the same time as another light than you would use a relay.

There are many ways you could do this and there are lots of forums that could help you that deal in 12 volt automotive electricity. If you are not sure what you are doing find a friend that could help you. You don't want to make a costly mistake and melt a wiring harness.

Have fun. You will learn a lot by doing this project. Welcome to forum.

Last edited by Lampshade; 04/19/12 10:43 PM.

M3 and
M80
Christoper #373855 04/20/12 09:46 PM
A
veteran
veteran
A
Originally Posted By: Christoper

How would i wire led strips to my car if i want a switch and will be using the car battery as the power source?

Pfft, you don't even know that?

M80s, VP180, QS8s, EP800 v3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020