Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: HT Setup Help Needed
Ken.C #317461 08/03/10 11:38 PM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: kcarlile
Heck, for that matter, standard M22s wouldn't work in a column. They've got a rear port. Best bet is inwall M22s, I would think in this case. At least they're designed to be constrained like that.

Unless of course you happened to make the column's 19.8" x 7.3"

M22's x 3, QS8's x 4
SVS PC12-Plus, Denon 3311ci
Ear-to-ear grin? Priceless!
Scamp #317462 08/03/10 11:42 PM
shareholder in the making
I don't think there have been any direct comparisons between the completely in-wall M22s and the bookshelf models, but the on-wall M22s don't have as much bass as the bookshelf models. I assume that's not the case with the in-walls, since they're deeper than the pure on-walls and therefore have more interior volume to work with. The in/on walls are a different matter. Confused yet?

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Madrastalkies #317463 08/03/10 11:45 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: Madrastalkies
ohh..Sorry i didnt look at the inwall option here...
I will take a look at the Inwall M22....i will read the pages to find the difference between inwall and onwall..

Also,,,,whats the performance difference between M22 Book and M22 inwall....Just to learn and to know...
thanks..

I have both the bookshelf and the on-wall. I much prefer the sound of the bookshelf. It has a better overall sound to it. The size of the cabinet does matter. I can't vouch for the in-wall since I've never heard that one.

Edit: Concerning the on-wall M22, The bass is really hard to describe. There is bass and some of it is low bass, but there seems to be a gap in the mid bass. I've noticed this gap while comparing the bookshelf with the on-wall using the same source material. Also the highs are good, but to my ears and with my room there's a certain freq that produces a shrillness that's missing with the bookshelf.

Last edited by CatBrat; 08/03/10 11:50 PM.
Scamp #317466 08/03/10 11:59 PM
M
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
M
Originally Posted By: Scamp
Originally Posted By: kcarlile
Heck, for that matter, standard M22s wouldn't work in a column. They've got a rear port. Best bet is inwall M22s, I would think in this case. At least they're designed to be constrained like that.

Unless of course you happened to make the column's 19.8" x 7.3"

7.36" is width (front face width correct?

My column depth will be closer to 9" - I can say that Front face of the speaker will be 9" from the wall...I can make it to this point...If i make 1" more -- it will look little odd on top of the tray ceiling by 1"...

Bookshelf depth is 8" , Column width is 9" -- 1" distance between the bookshelf and Wall ( banana plug will not be an issue here)
Only issue Port effect....

Reason to avoid inwall or onwall -- during speaker upgrade..it will be an issue to use it somewhere else..

I guess i am not annoying people here...i am very interested in these speakers (I want to buy it, not just for trial)

Last edited by Madrastalkies; 08/04/10 12:03 AM. Reason: bad english...
Madrastalkies #317467 08/04/10 12:23 AM
Quote:
I guess i am not annoying people here...i am very interested in these speakers (I want to buy it, not just for trial)

Heck no, we like questions.

If you're doing a false column type deal with acoustic fabric all around the speaker (as I think you're saying here), I'm less concerned about using the full bookshelf model. I still don't think the QS8s would work, but the M22s might work ok.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #317471 08/04/10 01:42 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Ok dude let me just say that I was in your shoes a year and a half ago, dreaming of my new home theater and designing what I thought would look great. Now, I'm not saying you can't design a theater and then build it to your liking... it's your money, you can do whatever you wish with it. But let me just say, from experience, that sound waves don't always cooperate with your design plans.

All I'm saying is don't go locking yourself into any designs before you get your speakers in there and see what they sound like. The subs may work up front (they did in SRoodes HT), but they also may not (like in mine & Catbrats situations). And the surrounds might not be optimal where you have them slated to go at this time.

Now as I said in the beginning it's your choice if you decide to go with form over function, and there's also the chance that it might sound wonderful once you put it all together. I just thought I'd go ahead and warn you that speakers can be devilishly stubborn when you really WANT them to sound good in a certain location. Spiteful little buggers they are!

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD
Micah #317476 08/04/10 02:37 AM
M
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
M
Originally Posted By: Micah

All I'm saying is don't go locking yourself into any designs before you get your speakers in there and see what they sound like. The subs may work up front (they did in SRoodes HT), but they also may not (like in mine & Catbrats situations). And the surrounds might not be optimal where you have them slated to go at this time.

100% agreed with you...so your advice is check the speaker performance first before completing and ruin the sound effects and get locked...

i should decide the purchase before covering all the stuffs...

thanks for your great advise....I was thinking about it..but no one told me..thanks...

Madrastalkies #317518 08/04/10 03:02 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I'm really not trying to be a killjoy mind you, that is a seriously gorgeous set-up you have planned out... & you obviously spent some serious time and effort in designing it. It's just that I went about it the same way, designing my HT in such a way that I thought would look elegant while utilizing my space efficiently. And the space that I incorporated my subwoofer into the fray (built right into the wall below my TV) literally sucked the performance right out of my poor EP800!

So I just thought I'd give you a bit of a heads up about finalizing a design before you've tried out the hardware to make sure it's going to work. Which admittedly is very tricky indeed as sounds are going to change everytime you do something else to the room (like lay carpet, build the columns, enclose the structures on either side of the screen, etc...). So it becomes a real catch 22, you won't know what it's going to sound like until you're all done... but in a project such as yours, once it's done it's not so easy to alter.

The one thing you do have on your side however is Axioms excellent trial program. Simply order the speakers of your choosing, try them out in the areas you would like them to be placed, and try em out. If the sound isn't to your liking, and you don't want to move things around to try to tweak their performance to match your desired expectations, then you can return them within 30 days of purchase and try something else if that's what you desire.

But here's to everything sounding fantastic in all the locations you have picked out for the speakers at this time. I sincerely hope all goes well for you my man! That is one fine looking design. smile

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD
Micah #317527 08/04/10 04:03 PM
axiomite
axiomite
The QS8's give you some options/leeway as they are known to be quite forgiving. Subs, on the other hand, can benefit considerably from correct placement. Each room is different, so it's a good idea to be patient with the room construction.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Madrastalkies #318012 08/09/10 03:57 AM
M
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
M
Anyone Please tell me the VP180 Side View Size..

I am almost decided to go with VP150...just trying to see VP180 fit in ceiling top..

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters