Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Subwoofer- the monster EP800 or two EP500s?
CV #317655 08/05/10 08:28 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Originally Posted By: CV
That's a fair definition. Not much, to me, would mean that it would be difficult for me to find anything to watch with that low-bass content regularly, but I don't find it that difficult. Of course, I like re-watching stuff, and I buy more movies than most people.

Now I’m curious… The AVS list of movies doesn’t make it easy to see what LFE each movie dips down to. Do you know of a list anywhere on the net that does note LFE content of movies? Maybe a spread sheet?

I suppose one should also define “low” LFE in which a person can actually “feel” it. I don’t know what that is.

But, in response to the OP’s original question and desires, the EP500, EP600 and EP800 all dip under 20hz. Actually, the specs on all three are not that fair off from one another. From my own personal experience, I prefer two EP500’s in my room over one EP600. I don’t miss the loss of LFE at all. I still feel LFE like crazy. Heck, I’ve been engrossed in a movie when my paint legs started shaking against my leg and it about scared the crap out of me thinking a mouse or some other creature was crawling up my pant leg.

michael_d #317670 08/05/10 09:29 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Regarding the Buttkicers, and I'm being serious, do you guys think I could use one with my wheel chair? Do they need to be bolted onto something or can it just sit beside a chair etc.? Also, is it possible to move it easily? Another thing I thought of is that I could place it on the chair that is right beside where I sit, but does the effect resonate a couple feet or is it very localized? Are they unsightly (it wouldn't be hidden whatsoever)?

Lots of questions, but what do you guys think?

Thanks.

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Ya_basta #317671 08/05/10 09:31 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I think it would make the chair rattle.

CatBrat #317682 08/06/10 12:52 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
That's entirely possible, especially since I have a bunch of stuff in the nap sack on my chair. I didn't know if I'd benefit from it if it was attached to the chair directly beside where I sit, if not attached to my wheel chair somehow.

I thought I might, based on an earlier post by Jason I think, where he mentioned placing one on the stage and a couple more in various places around his theater room.

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Ya_basta #317685 08/06/10 01:04 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: wheelz999
Regarding the Buttkicers, and I'm being serious, do you guys think I could use one with my wheel chair? Do they need to be bolted onto something or can it just sit beside a chair etc.? Also, is it possible to move it easily? Another thing I thought of is that I could place it on the chair that is right beside where I sit, but does the effect resonate a couple feet or is it very localized? Are they unsightly (it wouldn't be hidden whatsoever)?

Lots of questions, but what do you guys think?

Thanks.

Cam the Buttkicker need fairly direct contact to transmit it’s LFE. There are a couple options that might work for you.

The Buttkicker Gamer 2:

http://www.buttkickergear.com/product_p/bk-gr.htm

Which attaches directly to the chair. I’ve never tried one so I can’t vouch for how well it works. Nor can I tell you how easy it is to install and remove or how sturdy the clamp is.

Another option might be to get either a regular BK or one of these:

http://www.buttkickergear.com/ButtKicker_mini_LFE_p/bk-mini-lfe.htm

You could mount it to a flat piece of wood and just drive your chair onto the wood. Should work similar to the way the mounting plate for resting a couch leg on it does. Or like I have it with my BK mounted to a 2x4 with the back legs of the chairs resting on it. As long as the surface area touching the floor isn’t so large that it dissipates the vibration to much it should work. I’m sure the full Buttkicker could handle this but since I haven’t ever used the mini I can’t vouch for it’s power.

Cheers,
Dean

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
grunt #317691 08/06/10 02:10 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Thanks for those suggestions, Dean! I just skimmed over your message as it's bedtime for me, but I'll check the links out when I get back from camping.

Cam

michael_d #317702 08/06/10 04:09 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
C
Originally Posted By: michael_d
Now I’m curious… The AVS list of movies doesn’t make it easy to see what LFE each movie dips down to. Do you know of a list anywhere on the net that does note LFE content of movies? Maybe a spread sheet?

A spreadsheet would be nice, but I don't know of a place that has that. I agree that it would be nice to see the list done a little differently, and updated more frequently. Better yet, let's all suggest to Blu-ray.com that they put the LFE info in the Audio portion of every review. I'm sure they'll go for that, right?

SirQuack #317751 08/06/10 04:31 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: sirquack
the back row is on a riser, I assume one unit would attach to the riser to rattle the back row. I just installed Dricor subflooring which is a floating subfloor to let the basement concrete breath and evaporate any moisture. It is a toungue and groove system, figured that the 2nd buttkicker could be installed to the flooring behind the front row. I've hear people say their sub performance dramatically improved once installing Dricor, versus over concrete and carpet.

Can you describe the Dricor a bit for me? It sounds like just what I need but the manufacturer's web sight doesn't say a much except a 1 paragraph blurb and the picture looks basically like a square of foam with a pattern inlaid into it.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #317754 08/06/10 04:39 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Cancel the foam part. In looking closer, it actually looks like it's just square panels of presswood.

Not to sound sarcastic, but where is the vapor barrier in that or do they consider the epoxy keeping the presswood together to be the vapor barrier? crazy

They really should explain things better on their web sight for floor newbs like me.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #317773 08/06/10 07:10 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi Murph - I've installed 2 entire basements with Dricore so am quite familiar with it. The underside of the chipboard is a rubber/plastic compound that allows air to flow through all of the channels underneath the subfloor. When installed tightly against each other via the tongue and groove, the plastic parts push up against each other creating the vapor barrier. I am also willing to guess that the sealant they put on top of/into the chipboard also helps add to the vapor barrier effect. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions. I'll trade you for some grouting advice! laugh

Dan
On-Wall M5HP LCR, QS8 & EP500 in 7.1
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082