Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: The Jays Bombers
BlueJays1 #318111 08/10/10 01:12 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Yeah, I remember Don Baylor getting hit a lot.

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
BlueJays1 #318194 08/10/10 09:59 PM
P
aficionado
aficionado
P
Originally Posted By: Dr.House

The boxscore shows the Jays hitting 8 home runs today. The have been leading the league since the first month and are on pace of having the most realistic shot at beating the 1997 Mariners.

An unlikely team at an unlikely time period and year in the game to have a chance at beating this record. When Seattle beat this record, the league buried their head in the sand in regards to steroid use. The Mariners sluggers at the time were the likes of A-Roid, Griffey, Buhner, Martinez etc. An excellent hitting team known for power.

I am really hoping the Jays can beat the all time team home run record, they really deserve it.

Alright, as a Mariners fan (and Toronto hater grin ) I have to point out something here. Rodriguez only ever took whatever he took when he was with the Rangers, which was after his Mariners days. He has admitted that and I don't know why he would lie about when he took them. Griffey was clean, always was and I truly believe had he not been hurt for a total of abour five seasons in his career he would be the current home run champion. Buhner I can't really speak for but I don't think his name has ever been brought up in the steroid discussions. Martinez was simply one of (the?) the greatest hitters of the 90's, maybe along with Tony Gwynn.

Anyway, it would be cool to see the Jays go for the record, but the 117 wins record Seattle has a better one to gun for.

BlueJays1 #318196 08/10/10 10:04 PM
P
aficionado
aficionado
P
Originally Posted By: Dr.House
If I were to bet, my money would be on the 17K+ as being statistically less probable throughout the recorded history of the game. There have been a few no-hitters and even a perfect game this year. The Blue Jays alone had two no-hitters going into the 8th and 9th inning this year and the White Socks got robbed by an ump for another perfect game. They have been prevalent this year, thats for sure.

There have actually been three perfect games in 2010 (if you include the one with the blown call, which was even better because he got 28 guys out in a row rather than 27), which is insane if you consider there were 19 previous to this year in baseball history. I also believe there have been two other no - hitters. Roy Halladay had one of the perfect games for the Phillies and he played for the Jays for years also. If I am not mistaken he came a couple outs away from one when he first came to the Jays, too.

Potatohead #318199 08/10/10 10:10 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
A-Roid has been the only one linked to steroids IIRC. However, before that he was portrayed in media and by baseball enthusiasts much like Griffey was on the notion of steroid use. Frankly, I wouldn't put it past any athlete in that era and it wouldn't surprise me to hear of any name coming out in the future.

No doubt that was an exciting Mariners team. Breaking that record would be something. Odds are with Mariners at this point.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (tiwee), 369 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup