Print Thread
Rate Thread
digital to analog converter for HDTV
#318284 08/11/10 01:54 PM
W
wjb Offline OP
OP Offline
W
What product do you recommend for converting plasma tv optical audio output to (2) RCA inputs that my legacy stereo preamp can use ? I came across a $120 product: GEFEN GYV-DD-2-AA which would appear to solve the problem; however, not having the experience or knowledge I don't know if conversion will be plaqued with THD, phase distortion, digital noise, etc.
Any help ?

Re: digital to analog converter for HDTV
wjb #318286 08/11/10 02:39 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
Originally Posted By: wjb
What product do you recommend for converting plasma tv optical audio output to (2) RCA inputs that my legacy stereo preamp can use ? I came across a $120 product: GEFEN GYV-DD-2-AA which would appear to solve the problem; however, not having the experience or knowledge I don't know if conversion will be plaqued with THD, phase distortion, digital noise, etc.
Any help ?

With the vast majority of TV monitors having L/R analog audio out connections, I am curious as to why you would want to buy a converter to output digital audio that has to be converted back to analog anyway? Realistically, television audio, depending on the channel, is quite variable in quality so it wouldn't matter what connection you decide on since it would make little difference in what you are going to hear through your preamp. Of course a product,especially an AVR and/or Pre-Pro with the capability of a direct digital connection, would be a different story.

Under these circumstances, in my opinion, the extra box would just be a waste of money.

Re: digital to analog converter for HDTV
casey01 #318289 08/11/10 03:57 PM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: casey01
Originally Posted By: wjb
Any help ?

With the vast majority of TV monitors having L/R analog audio out connections, I am curious as to why you would want to buy a converter to output digital audio that has to be converted back to analog anyway? Realistically, television audio, depending on the channel, is quite variable in quality so it wouldn't matter what connection you decide on since it would make little difference in what you are going to hear through your preamp. Of course a product,especially an AVR and/or Pre-Pro with the capability of a direct digital connection, would be a different story.

Under these circumstances, in my opinion, the extra box would just be a waste of money.

Yeah! What he said! grin

M80s VP180 QS8
SVS Elevation Spk.
SVS PC13 Ultrax2
Anthem 1120,Oppo 205
ADA Amp
LG OLED 65"

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16