Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Demented
#31983 01/26/04 03:16 PM
Ajax Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Sometime in the next two weeks, my long and eagerly awaited 22tis and VP150 will be arriving from the Axiom factory outlet (I hope). The QS8s will have to wait until the budget is healthier. I have been busily measuring, constructing, organizing, and arranging, so that everything will be ready when they arrive. I’ve bought a few new cables, added a few new pieces of equipment, and have everything just about ready. All this activity has brought me to a level of breathless anticipation that borders on what fathers must feel awaiting the birth of their firstborn. Being childless, I can only speculate. All I know is that daily I have to run to the bathroom with what can only be termed the audiophile's version of morning sickness. The lightheaded, giddy intoxication of this impending birth of a sound system is, to say the least, addicting.

So, here’s the problem. Once the speakers arrive, and I have them set up, and calibrated; once I’ve listened and have oooood and aaaaaahd to my hearts content; once this monumental event is over, I fear the onset of post sound system partum depression. And as we all know, THAT can lead to the dreaded disease………UPGRADEITIS!

I need your advice. I need to know how you’ve handled the horrible, inevitable, unsatisfying, feared………completion of a project. Don’t leave me suffering! PLEASE! HELP!

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Re: Demented
#31984 01/26/04 05:35 PM
buff
buff
Well. First of all, you're nuts!!

Speakers arriving are nothing like a child arriving. The speakers will arrive much cleaner and better looking. )

My opinion? Don't get yourself SO hyped up that you have unrealistic expectations. I was just as excited when I got my Axiom setup. I was dissappointed upon first listening because they were much more detailed than I expected. I'm adjusted now and loving them, but, that first week or so was...well... a let down of sorts.

Just breath....gotta keep breathing.

Enjoy!

#31985 01/26/04 06:35 PM
shareholder in the making
I just has my first child (well, my wife did actually...) less than 3 months ago, so I can tell you the speakers excitement is nowhere near as intense.

I moved from a pair of Paradigm Monitor 9s to Axiom M22s and an SVS PB1-ISD sub. I've had them for almost a year and I have not once had upgrade-itis. I might have had what-if-itis once or twice, but I have never regretted my audio system decisions for a second.

My advice to you is to fall in love with your speakers. It'll be that much harder to break up with them.

#31986 01/26/04 10:04 PM
local
local
I certainly know what you mean. I don't want to disappear off on a tangant but it's too tempting. I think because we're such a possession driven society a lot of people end up feeling what you're describing. I know for me personally I've been plagued with these feelings waiting to buy new video games, cars, cd's, and other toys over the years. Invariablely after a short shelf life I've lost interest and moved on to anticipation for the next thing. I don't think I'm the only one that feels that way either.

Unfortuntely, for me that was becoming a vicious cycle of emptiness and disappointment so I had to put some serious thought into what it means and I hope to have better perspective as I build our HT. Maybe that would work for you too. Or you could just keep moving on to the next toy .

Later,

Nick

My M60's make me listen
My M80's make my ears hear
Either way - I'm not deaf anymore
#31987 01/26/04 11:35 PM
veteran
veteran
Excellent Nick!

Our "things" don't go with us when we die. But there is something that lasts for eternity...........

Panasonic TC-P50G15, DMP-BD60
Yamaha RX-V1400
Axiom M60's,VP150,QS8's
Hsu VTF2
#31988 01/26/04 11:39 PM
Do we really want to go there?

#31989 01/26/04 11:41 PM
Ajax Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
OK! Breathe.........1........2........3.........breathe. And I never said I was sane.

I was, of course, exaggerating. (Well.......OK, just a little.)

Nick, I think you have it completely correct, and I don't think for one minute that you and I are the only ones. That "buying, anticipation, gratification, emptiness" cycle can be just as habit forming as any other bad habit. Fortunately, having gone through it before, I know that breaking that cycle is not all that difficult. You just wait until your wallet is empty, and then go cold turkey. The trick for me is staying on the wagon.

Wait a minute! You're building a home theater? Now? No wonder you can talk about this so glibly. You're in the middle of the cycle, you stinker.

I'll let you off the hook this time if you'll keep us posted on the progress of your HT. Pictures would be nice, if possible. Hope it goes well for you.

Jack

#31990 01/26/04 11:56 PM
Ajax Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Didn't mean to leave you out, Peter. Your little one (guy?) is a cutie. It's my full intention to fall in love with my new speakers. I tend to be one of those that generally ends up satisfied with my purchases as opposed to those who generally end up dissatisfied. So the 22tis and VP150 would have to be turkeys for me to be disappointed with them, and I don't think that will be the case.

I took a brief look at your profile, and discovered that we have a few things in common, including the 22tis. I also have the CW surrounds, and will be using them until I can afford the QS8s, I really have no complaints about the CWs, it's just that I've heard so much good about the QS8s, and figure they would match the 22tis and VP150 better. I also have an Onkyo receiver, but mine is the 797.

Also, I have a dear friend in Alameda, and my sister lives in Pleasanton.

Thanks for the advice.

Jack

#31991 01/26/04 11:57 PM
local
local
"Our "things" don't go with us when we die. But there is something that lasts for eternity..........."

Velveeta? Mildew? Award shows?

#31992 01/27/04 12:01 AM
Ajax Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
You forgot navel lint.

Jack

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,464
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
2 members (chapin99, Cork), 195 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup