Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Subwoofer location...
snazzed #319808 08/24/10 04:55 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I prefer the EP800-Henge theme myself.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Adrian #319809 08/24/10 05:03 PM
axiomite
axiomite
That would be an awesome amount of bass. Just sit in the center surrounded by (a bunch of) EP800's, playing pipe organ music.

snazzed #319835 08/24/10 06:07 PM
local
local
Didn't Micah try to enclose his subwoofer and was extremely unhappy for months until he moved it out of there?

Steve
thefwam #319840 08/24/10 06:30 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
You have that right as I recall. Micah had the uber subwoofer tale/thread!

Hey, where is Micah lately anyway?

Dan
On-Wall M5HP LCR, QS8 & EP500 in 7.1
snazzed #319897 08/25/10 01:14 AM
S
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
S
So the general consensus is that it's a bad idea... However... The room is a dedicated theater room, and I want it to look the part, so I don't want to see any speakers anywhere. My guess is the best location might end up being in the front of the room, hidden in columns or something.

Last edited by SUBnet.192; 08/25/10 01:20 AM.
SUBnet.192 #319901 08/25/10 01:29 AM
N
old hand
old hand
N
Well my suggestion would be to just start the HT room from scratch. I would build on a west wing of the home and then begin thinking where you want your speakers to go.

Actually thats me just being a jerk cause im so freaking jealous you can build a dedicated room.

M22's
VP100
QS4's
SVS PB12-NSD
Denon 2310CI
Panasonic P58S2
Panasonic P50S2
SUBnet.192 #319905 08/25/10 02:35 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Marc, your guess is likely correct: in general the best location for a single sub is in the tightest corner(farthest from a large opening in the room)near the front speakers. If aesthetic considerations will limit your placement options, go with the general rule and enjoy the sound without too much concern about optimal positioning.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #319944 08/25/10 11:58 AM
axiomite
axiomite
If you are building the room from scratch, and you absolutely must hide the speakers, then consider the suggestions for an acoustically transparent screen which would allow you to build a false wall and hide the speakers behind it. This would at least allow you to plan some breathing room for your speakers, rather than dramatically changing the sound by enclosing speakers that were not designed to be enclosed. That or purchase speakers designed for wall enclosures.

My apologies if it sounds like I am trying to make a big deal out of this but it just so happens that during my recent vacation that I was in a friends house where he ignored my advice and built custom cabinets surrounded with pink insulation stuffed in beside each speaker in his HT room. There may have been other things at play, but I can tell you that I have never heard Paradigms (a speaker I am pretty familiar with) sound so terrible. The difference was not a subtle thing that only an audiophile would notice or think important. He actually brought me in because he was about to bring the speakers back to the store as they sounded aweful to him as well and I was summoned because they were on a short list (including Axioms at the top) that I recommended for him.

The best way that I could describe it in my limited terminology was that he had effective surround sound in the sides and rears (effective directionally)but up front it sounded a bit like he was using speakers that you commonly find built into a TV set.

We didn't have any speaker cable to try them pulled out of the cabinets but we did rig up a coax extension to remove the sub which solved his vibrating drywall problems. I told him he could consider removing the drywall and properly reinforcing the area and placing an isolating material between the drywall and the studs but when he took it out of the wall, he actually admitted it probably should never go back in there as it sounded so much better.

Since I left, he has called to tell me that he temporarily wired the front and center speakers up outside the enclosures and they now sound like what he remembered them to be, a beautiful sounding speaker. Now he is flip flopping between returning the Paradigms for wall units or writing off that his custom cabinetry job was a waste.

Sorry if I sound like I'm ranting but I just don't want someone else to waste money if they won't be happy after. However, as JohnK pointed out. Happiness is relative. Do what will put the biggest smile on your face.

Edit: I was saving this story for when I had time to start it's own thread but it seems better placed here. Also, as a curiosity, I called the local AV shop that I do recommend to people as they have a very experienced owner who knows his stuff and politely asked if they recalled him discussing him putting the speakers in cabinets. He did recall the purchase and also recalls explaining to him why that would not be recommended and showed him some completely invisible, hidden in walls. They are designed to actually blend into the drywall and be painted over. I had heard these before in there and was very pleasantly surprised (despite my doubts) as to how good they sounded at the time. The price, including insulation is CRAZY expensive though. I admit, I prefer to see my speakers for some reason anyways.

Last edited by Murph; 08/25/10 12:09 PM. Reason: POST WASN'T RIDICULOUSLY LONG ENOUGH ALREADY.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #319948 08/25/10 12:31 PM
S
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
S
The above picture shows pretty much what I intend to do for the front stage, however the EP300 is pretty large and I might have to make the side columns a bit bigger than I was hoping. I intend to use acoustically transparent fabric all around the speakers, so they are simply hidden, not boxed into drywall. Thanks for the input. So in the end, no using the under the stairs space, for that purpose anyway... smile

SUBnet.192 #319992 08/25/10 09:14 PM
N
aficionado
aficionado
N
Another option is to go with a second ep350. If you have two subs then you can already be sure of the optimal location without the room being built, as long as the room is rectangular. In a rectangular room the best location is at the midpoint of two opposing walls. This would also, give you a nice more even bass response for every seat, whereas with one sub you won't have that.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters