Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Break in procedure
BlueJays1 #321329 09/04/10 11:32 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Originally Posted By: Dr.House
Is that a synopsis on speaker break-in/burn-in or on how to waste electricity?

Thanks for that 1sweetspot. That went down great with a glass of gin. smile

Woah.. hopefully you involved a mixer of some type. laugh I likes me my gin but not straight! smile

Epic 80 / SVS PB13 Ultra
Denon 3805 / M2200 Outlaw Monos /
Sammy 55" LED
Spoiler #321331 09/04/10 11:41 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Sometimes I don't mix it. Depends on the quality of gin. Gin is one of my favorite hard liquors.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
Spoiler #321332 09/04/10 11:52 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Considering Energy’s liberal definition of the word “transducer”, I would refute their claim. Now if they want to get specific, and detail exactly what part of the driver (aka transducer) they are referring to that needs break in, I may be inclined to give their rational some thoughtful deliberation. I still have not heard any compelling argument that will substantiate that speakers need to be “broke in”. Just don’t pour the juice to them when they are cold.

Spoiler #321333 09/04/10 11:56 PM
veteran
veteran
I just got a new Energy system-clearance going on at FS- and I'm in the minority in believing in the "break in" period. Glad to give you something to read while enjoying some gin smile Yeah, it's a bit of electricity, but hey, I live in Alberta, we have energy to spare.

I figure, someone more knowledgable than I (yeah, that bar is pretty low) got paid to put that in the owners manual. Although words like "vital" and "100 hours" are a little extreme. Maybe Axiom is different, as their engineers don't recommend a break-in period. It's probably just my ears breaking in, but I think my M60's sound better and better each time I listen to them.

At any rate, I'll let the RC's play for a while before running audissey for the final set up. Peace of mind for sure.

1sweetspot #321337 09/05/10 12:07 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Congrats on the new speakers 1sweetspot. Yeah, there are some excellent deals on Infinity and Energy speakers these days at places like Future Shop and Best Buy.

If you plan on "breaking in" the speaker for 100 hours, make sure to enjoy them in the process. wink

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #321381 09/05/10 01:27 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Thats good advice about not hooking up the speakers after delivery sitting in a UPS truck on a cold winter day. It is possible for there to be noticeable sound quality changes in this instance and it could improve as the voice coils in the driver heat up to their normal operating temperature. I doubt it would damage the speaker though - maybe if the components were frozen eek.

To properly measure the effects of any break-in/burn-in would take a lot of work. The key to this would be to have a temperature controlled room at around 19 or 20 degrees celsius (room temperature) to store the drivers before and after a signficant cooling down period (24hrs) after the testing period of lets say at 100 hours for measurements. You would also need a signficant amount of random choosen samples (of each of the same driver) to account for any variations within each lot of drivers and control groups.

If you are in control of your own manufacturing, random unused samples of drivers would need to be choosen at different manufacturing periods to account for any tolerance variations in the lots - whether it could be quality control or just due to running changes in the manufacturing.

The testing alone of the drivers would take a very long time. Then after all the measurements you would need test the signficance and analyze the data using a program such as excel.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #321417 09/05/10 07:24 PM
veteran
veteran
Congrats on the new speakers 1sweetspot. Yeah, there are some excellent deals on Infinity and Energy speakers these days at places like Future Shop and Best Buy.

If you plan on "breaking in" the speaker for 100 hours, make sure to enjoy them in the process. wink

Oh yeah. Much enjoyment already. Just started the redundant break-in process this morning, got everything set up in the basement. Had the towers already, so they have probably 250 hours on them. The prices were irresistable-surrounds were $159.99 and the LCR was $349.99-less than half price. Let me tellya my first impressions are very positive.

The other positive thing, I will now have a full on Axiom 5 channel sytem in my upstairs living room too! (Maybe I should leave them play to break in the QS8's as they are a recent aquistion-just to be sure of course)

1sweetspot #321496 09/06/10 01:21 PM
old hand
old hand
Glad to hear your enjoying your new speakers

It's no use carrying an umbrella, if your shoes are leaking.

1sweetspot #321517 09/06/10 05:23 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: 1sweetspot

Oh yeah. Much enjoyment already. Just started the redundant break-in process this morning, got everything set up in the basement. Had the towers already, so they have probably 250 hours on them. The prices were irresistable-surrounds were $159.99 and the LCR was $349.99-less than half price. Let me tellya my first impressions are very positive.

The other positive thing, I will now have a full on Axiom 5 channel sytem in my upstairs living room too! (Maybe I should leave them play to break in the QS8's as they are a recent aquistion-just to be sure of course)

I am hoping for the Infinity Primus P362 floorstanders to go on sale. Right now they are listed at $599/pair MSRP. I would be very tempted to pick them up if I can find them for less than $500/pair.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #321521 09/06/10 06:38 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I have never worked at an electronics store, but I highly doubt that some kid at FS or BB actually "breaks in" a pair of Energy speakers (moderate volume for 100 hours) before they put them on display. I am sure they don't worry about damage when a customer wants to hear the display models with some juice.

"I know you are interested in these speakers, but I can't turn up the volume until tomorrow at 3:30am, we are currently in the break in stage" LOL!

I would also be very surprised that a company like Energy would design a speaker that would, could be damaged by loud volumes right out of the box. Lets face it, at under $200 most people probably don't even read the instructions. They get them home, hook em’ up, and crank the volume. Energy's warranty claims would be through the roof is this 100 hour break in requirement was true!
I think this space in the manual could much better be used to describe the damage that can occur by clipping and not using proper amplification.

paul

paul

Axiom M80, VP180, Qs8, EP500
Epson 3020
Rotel RB-880
Denon AVR-990
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16