Re: whats going on with my EP500?
Philippe #319995 08/25/10 09:58 PM
V
Vanorge Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
V
okay got my new subwoofer yesterday and installed it. i have a few questions. does it matter how i hook it up. because there are two sets of negative and two sets of positive. so which set of negative and positive go on which side of the subwoofer? hope that makes sense.

i didn't get to calibrate it yet, as im doing that right now, but i did notice yesterday that it seems to be pushing more air out. before it used to suck in more than blow out. anybody know which way it's supposed to be. i would think out but you never know also could i have possibly gotten the connections reversed or better yet right!

tx

Vanorge #319999 08/25/10 10:09 PM
shareholder in the making
You shouldn't be using the high level inputs at all--you should be using a single RCA connection between your sub and the LFE/Sub output on your receiver. The connector on the sub is a 1/4" to RCA right angle adapter, and it can be a little finicky.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #320004 08/25/10 10:34 PM
V
Vanorge Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
V
no im not using high level inputs... i was talking about the speaker connections from the amp to the woofer. the ones inside the box

Vanorge #320005 08/25/10 10:37 PM
Oh. Got me.

Can you take a picture for us?

Last edited by kcarlile; 08/25/10 10:37 PM.

Ken.C #320008 08/25/10 10:49 PM
V
Vanorge Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
V
i'll see how soon i can post some pics, i have my niece with me. tx for trying tho

but for now i guess its called the dual voice coil connections i think.

Vanorge #320009 08/25/10 10:56 PM
I doubt it matters; as long as you've got red to red and black to black, as it were, on both sides, it should work fine. Now, if you've got one reversed, that's not going to be a happy thing, but...

Vanorge #320030 08/26/10 02:50 AM
Originally Posted By: Vanorge
i did notice yesterday that it seems to be pushing more air out. before it used to suck in more than blow out. anybody know which way it's supposed to be.

Vanorge, any subwoofer that is ported must port must blow out and suck in equally. If you believe you're feeling a difference, it's most likely because your hand is not a sensitive enough measuring device. smile

This equal-blow-and-suck isn't just a rule I invented, it's physics. Allow me to explain. In order to make a sound, the subwoofer driver must move outward and inward many times a second. Every time it moves outward, it creates a slight vacuum in the box which causes air to move in through the port. Every time it moves inward, it pressurizes the air in the box and causes air to move out through the port. Keep in mind that the driver is moving in and out anywhere from 20 to 80 times a second or more.

If the subwoofer port were actually blowing more than sucking, that would mean the driver was moving further and further into the box and not returning to the neutral position.

The moral of the story is don't worry too much about the air moving through the port. If you can feel air at all, that means it's working.

pmbuko #320050 08/26/10 11:59 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: pmbuko

If the subwoofer port were actually blowing more than sucking, that would mean the driver was moving further and further into the box and not returning to the neutral position.

Not to mention that the constant reduction in air pressure inside would mean it would eventually either
a. implode
b. suck in your cat and other small objects
c. turn into a black hole from which nothing short of the the evil power of Justin Beiber's haircut could escape.

Chris will be along shortly to take my laws of physics humor seriously and explain the error of my theories.....
smile Just Kidding Buddy! smile

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #320055 08/26/10 12:10 PM
axiomite
axiomite
:hiding my cat:

pmbuko #320107 08/26/10 05:46 PM
V
Vanorge Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
V
Originally Posted By: pmbuko
Originally Posted By: Vanorge
i did notice yesterday that it seems to be pushing more air out. before it used to suck in more than blow out. anybody know which way it's supposed to be.

Vanorge, any subwoofer that is ported must port must blow out and suck in equally. If you believe you're feeling a difference, it's most likely because your hand is not a sensitive enough measuring device. smile

This equal-blow-and-suck isn't just a rule I invented, it's physics. Allow me to explain. In order to make a sound, the subwoofer driver must move outward and inward many times a second. Every time it moves outward, it creates a slight vacuum in the box which causes air to move in through the port. Every time it moves inward, it pressurizes the air in the box and causes air to move out through the port. Keep in mind that the driver is moving in and out anywhere from 20 to 80 times a second or more.

The moral of the story is don't worry too much about the air moving through the port. If you can feel air at all, that means it's working.

i didn't measure with my hand.why would you assume that? I used a sheet of paper.I don't think i need nasa equiptment for the simple observation.

what would happen is, it used to suck in the paper more than blow it out. now it blows it out alot more, and harder to boot. i just thought it was strange.

regardless it's working well now. I calibrated it and watched gamer. i do have to set the subsonic filter to on though since i listen to movies quite loud. 100db peaks with my radio shack spl meter. for with the subsonic filter to off, it bottoms out. it made that same clack but just once.

my conclusion is it's a great sub, i just don't like that i can bottom it out at 100dbs with subfilter to off. im eager to try out the SVS ultra.

with it cutting out at 20hz its phenomenal tho.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters