Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Who is...
#320431 08/28/10 04:52 PM
fredk Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
... that favorite musician that you feel a special connection to and why?

Rick. Your SRV post inspired me.

For me its Neil Young. My aunt gave me the CSNY Deja Vu album as a 14th birthday present. The first time I listened to the song Helpless on my crappy portable record player, I was hooked. It inspired me to pick up the guitar and eventually even to write some (really bad) songs.

What really got me was the lyrics. I think Neil has a real gift with words. The dark lyrics probably appealed to my teen angst as well. smile

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
Re: Who is...
fredk #320456 08/28/10 06:54 PM
shareholder in the making
For me, it would be SRV.

As much as I always enjoyed photography, my dream would have been to be a guitarist. I used to just put headphones on while listening to Hendrix and feel every note...every bend of every note. Totally immersed in the music for hours on end.

The first time I heard SRV was when I was in photography school, and a little, local college station played Voodoo Chile (Slight Return). I heard that guitar and thought "Who the hell does Hendrix have singing for him on this version?". I never could have imagined it was anyone other than Hendrix on guitar. I don't know how Stevie's first CD, Texas Flood, got past me except I guess I was pretty involved in school at that time.

I bought Couldn't Stand the Weather that day, and Texas Flood the next. And he took over that headphone nirvana for years. (unfortunately, I can't seem to do that anymore, as my head fills with things I need to do, etc.... I can't just listen to a whole CD anymore. Doc? Adult ADD?)

I saw SRV 5 times. The first was at the Newport Jazz Festival. He closed the two-day festival, and I was 10 feet from the stage...center...but I left before the end of his set. My girlfriend at the time wanted to beat the traffic. (Man, we do stupid things for women, don't we?).

The last time was in a little city park in downtown Manchester, NH....again, I was up front. As loud as it was in front of that little stage, the reverb off the buildings in the downtown was incredible. I wouldn't have lost my seat for anything, but I wondered how that guitar sounded three blocks away from the park.

I've searched for the next SRV, but haven't found one. I don't know if no one truly matches him in my opinion, or that A.D.D. just means I don't care as much anymore. I really, really liked KWS and Jonny Lang (before he went gospel) but I really haven't found another SRV.

Good Awesome thread, Fred.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
fredk #320457 08/28/10 06:56 PM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
You know my answer. Good ol' Regina. At first I didn't know what to think, but I just kept listening. If I could express myself musically, I would hope to come across something like her. Some real goofball lyrics at times, but a real depth of emotion behind them. I still get goosebumps listening to a lot of her songs.

CV #320459 08/28/10 06:58 PM
Dude, that's an erection.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #320461 08/28/10 07:59 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I can't really say I have a connection with any one artist, although similar to Fred's story, after seeing Neil Young at the old Maple Leaf Gardens when I was a teenager I was inspired enough to go out and spend my savings on a nice Sigma acoustic guitar shortly after. There's just too many good artists out there to choose one in particular for me...sometimes I do get inspiration from musicians who overcome great tragedy in their lives yet persevere such as Loreena McKennitt and Neil Peart to name a couple.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
MarkSJohnson #320462 08/28/10 08:00 PM
fredk Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
laugh

Fred

-------
MarkSJohnson #320463 08/28/10 08:00 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Well, he has a place to hang his headphones then.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
fredk #320468 08/28/10 08:22 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: fredk

For me its Neil Young. My aunt gave me the CSNY Deja Vu album as a 14th birthday present. The first time I listened to the song Helpless on my crappy portable record player, I was hooked. It inspired me to pick up the guitar and eventually even to write some (really bad) songs.

What really got me was the lyrics. I think Neil has a real gift with words. The dark lyrics probably appealed to my teen angst as well. smile

Fred, Neil Young grew up in Bethany, which is a 20 minute drive from me. Just prior to my accident, our friends Keith and Charlotte (I had my accident on Char's farm) divorced and Keith moved just down the road from Neil's dad, Scott.

Also, in Omemee, where I went to public school, they built a school for grade 5-8 students and named it Scott Young Public School.

Here's the schools biography on Scott Young.

As somewhat of an even closer "connection", Scott also donated money to me after my accident.

Cheer's,
Cam

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Ya_basta #320500 08/29/10 02:45 AM
fredk Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Thanks for the link Cam. Thats cool!

Fred

-------
fredk #320616 08/30/10 04:29 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: fredk
It inspired me to pick up the guitar and eventually even to write some (really bad) songs.

This immediately made me picture you as Peter Griffin singing "Rock Lobster."

and since I don't know what you really look like, I guess you will look like Peter in my mind from now on. Excellent!

Last edited by Murph; 08/30/10 04:31 PM.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (BBIBH), 580 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup