Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: M60 vs B&W DM603S3
#32263 01/30/04 03:34 AM
johncj Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
That's like asking me if I'll have another beer

The bass presentation was sublime. The lower octaves were there - and accurate. Excellent delivery with not a hint of boominess.
Cymbals and high hat sounded absolutely authentic. Very involving. Paradigm has a done a major redesign on the tweeter, it seems they've taken a page from B&W.
I find the midrange somewhat laidback, although not offensively so. Vocals had a very slight nasal quality. The B&W 603 get the edge in this respect.
However, I was listtening to these via a Toshiba DVD player and mid-range Denon receiver!(albeit with decent interconnect). My personal upstream gear may address these minor mid-range concerns.
In general, imaging and soundstage was far superiour to the B&Ws. The DM603 were hooked up to excellent electronics and the salesguy was doing backflips with placement in a sonically friendly room. The Paradigms were out on the floor in a hideous environment.
Would sure be neat to have some M60s on hand for a shoot out.

#32264 01/30/04 06:02 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
It's been said many a time that the Paradigm Studio series sounds a lot like equivalent Axiom speakers. Particularly close are the Studio 20 / M22ti and the Studio 60 / M60ti.

It's hard to go for the Paradigms when the difference in price is so significant and any improvement in sound over the Axioms is highly questionable.

#32265 01/30/04 06:07 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Getting all the speakers into the same room/listening environment would certainly prove to be a large equalizer in some sound disparities.
The last time i hear B&W 603s, they also sounded good (long time ago, can't remember exact impressions) but the room was very well designed for auditions. I'm doubting they would sound the same in my hard walled basement.
Being able to compare some Paradigms to the M60s at home would be fun though. Maybe on my next trip testing out store return policies....

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#32266 01/31/04 12:11 AM
L
connoisseur
connoisseur
L
Before you buy a pair of B&W's I felt compelled to tell u it was because of my severe disappointed over a pair of 602s3 that I ordered Axioms. The B&W's sounded great in the store on some really great equipment, but it my house with my Yammie they sounded as bad as I have ever heard a speaker sound. I don't know if there is a compatibility issue with certain equipment, but I'm guessing that was the problem. There never was a problem with my m22ti's. If not for my disappointment and the kind advice of the experts at this board I would never have ordered Axioms.

#32267 02/01/04 05:16 AM
johncj Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
Guys, thanks for the feedback. Nice to hear cogent and clearly unbiased dialogue.
It's particularly helpful to hear that the M60 is in the same league as the Studio 60. I appreciate the comments on the B&W 602, but I have already ruled them out. The 603S3 are significantly better than the 602 (IMO), and I think that the Studio 60V3 outclass the 603S3 in almost all criteria. Just mo' money.
I'm a little hesitant to pull the trigger on the M60 and find I don't like them - it's $100 to send them back.

#32268 02/01/04 05:39 AM
old hand
old hand
I don't think I've ever read of anyone on this board who bought an Axiom speaker and sent it back. Well - a few cases in which they said they just upgraded higher up the Axiom chain

If you are looking at M60s and are REALLY considering them, and can't audition them in your area - I supposed you could always buy a smaller speaker, like an M22 or even M2 and return it. This might seem callous to buy a speaker even though you know you are going to return it, but I'm sure Axiom has figured this factor in a bit into their direct business model. Without a dealer network, you have to expect a certain number of "audition only" returns. Besides, I doubt highly that people ever decide against them. Their cost/performance ratio is just too damn good.

I recently heard a friend's $1100 paradigms. Not really that nice looking... sounded very good though. $700 better than my M40's? No. Better yes... I imagine that they are M60 quality (and from what I've read, similar in tone) but cost quite a bit more. I can't remember the model #, and don't feel like looking it up - but I can say that my lowly M40's did not sound bad at all compared to them, and the M60s clearly outperform them (from reviews I've read on this board).

I don't know if that last bit makes you feel better... it DOES seem like a plunge... but a plunge that most people never seem to regret.

#32269 02/01/04 06:57 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I agree with nowave.
We would not buy a large surround setup without first hearing the speaker brand and style so we 'bought' the M22s to audition at home first.
We like the sound so much, but wanted something larger, that we sent them back to Axiom and picked up the M60s along with everything else. The return package cost us a whopping $24 Cdn with $400 insurance, regular parcel post!
The M22s would be a good trial model since they sound so much like the larger M60 and M80s.

#32270 02/01/04 07:21 AM
regular
regular
Hello,

Being a longtime B&W fan myself, I thought I'd throw in my $.02 just to be helpful
Just for a bit of background, over the last few years I have previously owned the B&W 604 Series 2, the B&W CDM series (the CDM's have been discontinued - but they were a model up from the 600 series), and most recently, the newer 604 Series 3 along with a pair of the 603 Series 3 as full-size surrounds.
To be honest I really enjoyed the B&W's. Nice open sounding tweeter. Solid mid-range for vocals. Nice full bottom end. I thought that overall, they had a really nice clarity for a speaker in that price range. Although some people are not fond of the B&W tweeter, I always found it to be nice and clean sounding to my ears. In short, I don't have a bad thing to say about the 604 or 603's.
I do have a few words of caution though. I actually preferred the 603's to the 604's for music. The 603's just had much tighter control in the bass. I think the 604's traded some of the tightness and control in the bass area for more overall bass output (higher spl's maybe). The 604's were a bit more dynamic for home theater or bass-heavy music, but the 603's were just clearer and more accurate.
Also, I don't recommend using the B&W's with an A/V reciever. There are two reasons I say this.
1) They just seem that they were made to be used with separates all the way. They sound a bit more "congested" or "closed-in" on a reciever (even a great one). I have heard them on Rotel separates though and they really sing. It's not that they sound bad on a reciever, they just don't seem to live up to their potential.
2) (and this is a biggin' for me) , I have a Marantz A/V reciever (SR9200) which is almost bullet-proof. I have run many, many different speakers on it (B&W's, Def Tech, Paradigm, PSB, and Axiom), and the 604's were the only pair to ever make my beloved Marantz kick into protection mode and turn off. This tells me that the B&W's were presenting too difficult a load to the reciever's amp section at that volume. Now, I will say that I was playing Rush (Leave That Thing Alone) at a really high volume level - like kick you in the chest lound - so take it for what it's worth.
Just thought I'd share my personal experiences with the B&W line you're looking at. Hope this helps a bit.

RJ

BTW, after the huge parade of speakers through my home in the last few years, from the Paradigm Studio to the B&W 600 & CDM series, to the PSB 6T's, to the Def Tech BP2002TL's, you wanna know the only ones to stay?

The Axiom M80's

#32271 02/01/04 07:58 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
RJS72 - THAT is the definition of a relevant, helpful post. Thank you for sharing your perspective with us.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#32272 02/01/04 03:53 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Except for the part about a speaker only working with separates and not receivers. I would say the Marantz was underpowered for the volume levels trying to be obtained. A more robust receiver would be required in such a case..

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,463
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020