Print Thread
Rate Thread
Room air conditioners/heaters
#323089 09/17/10 10:22 PM
INANE Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I'm designing/building out my basement which will include a home office. I'm thinking about using a room air conditioner/heater for it instead of trying to tap off the main furnace. The idea of being able to more precisly control the environment in that room makes sense to me. The room is under 200 sq feet.

I'm curious if anyone has experience with these units and if anyone knows what brands/models are worthy of the investment. The type of device I was considering are the ones that sit in the room, often on wheels and have a single pipe that you need to run outside.

Re: Room air conditioners/heaters
INANE #323101 09/17/10 11:58 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Just buy a chimenea laugh .

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Ya_basta #323110 09/18/10 01:30 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I have a both an in room and window AC for my media room/office I bought for my media room and as a backup for the living room if my main AC went out. IMO you get more for your money and a better produce using a window unit if you can.

I’ve only used the portable unit a little at the beginning of Summer because I have way to much stuff plugged in to my office outlets so when the breaker box got hot with the sun hitting it the AC tripped the breaker when it kicked on. Not the AC units fault I just need more power in there.

The unit seems to work fine and I feel is more efficient since that one room gets hot because of all the electronics equipment but I have no proof it is more efficient. It does vent out the window which is supposed to be better at cooling but understand if it’s vent in one place it must be drawing in somewhere else. Also the vent won’t exhaust the condensation if the window is to high. In my case it won’t vent much to much higher than the unit itself. So if the window is to high it leave you with dumping the tank like a dehumidifier or running a hose to a drain if you have that option. Also most if not all portable units are way loud since the whole thing is in the room with you.

I’ve used window units before and they are much better. More efficient, much less expensive, much quieter, and no condensation draining issues.

I will say that the portable unit did come in handy for cooling my bedroom when my main AC went out at the beginning of summer and I just dragged it over from my media room. BTW, portable is a relative term. Yes much easier to move than a window unit but still a bit of a pain to move and reset in another window.

I can’t recommend a particular brand. Mine is a no name brand called KUL from Lowe’s. I did a lot of research and determined that even the so called best reviewed units had a lot of haters, and the customer service from the manufacturers was universally bad. Generally the user reviewers either loved or hated them, but I wasn’t feeling a lot of love out there.

P.S. Did I mention that the portables are really loud.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
grunt #323135 09/18/10 05:07 AM
INANE Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Ya I'm going to be in a basement, no windows and most of it is underground so I was planning to just run a duct outside for it. Even thou the room is underground the heat built up by the computers will be a problem with no where to go. I had that problem in my previous house.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044