Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
HT Sytem Pieces to Consider
#32395 01/29/04 07:25 PM
Van_G Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
I'm looking at the endless options for putting together a good home theater system that will fill my current and future needs. It appears that heart surgery would be a simpler task!

I have been enjoying my NAD Monitor Series 1600 PreAmp and 2700 Power Amp with Paradigm 11 SE's since 1994. The NAD 2700 is THX certified.

I find the 11SE's have sloppy response when put againist current Paradigm Reference, B&W, and Polk Audio Speakers. I keep on being told that today's drivers use much better materials, which I guess I buy.

I also have the advantage of being able to take the drive up North and listening to the Axiom product and from reading would be interested in the Epic Grand Master System with perhaps the centre channel upgrade to the VP150.

So my hopes from the board are some suggestions:

Can my current NAD AMP fit into my system or should I sell it?

If I am going with separate processor and amp, what would you suggest for the processor and remaing channels? My weakness on this point is that I have access to great prices on Sony electronics and they have recently released the 5000ES and 9000ES Receiver units.

Our current Panasonic DVD-RP62 player was a mid grade model 2 years ago. What benefit and what should I plan to spend in order to stay away from a weak link in the chain scenario? Do I really need to spend $700 on a DVD player?

For speakers, we are currently in a modest apartment (700 sqf living room) but are planning to build next fall. We do not want a Screening room but would build media into our main and basement rooms which will be no larger than 1200 sqf each. House will be open concept and I want to take 'wire' each room for current and future tech. Given that, can I buy now for later, or should I buy for now and then buy again later?

Lengthy post. Hope the information is there for those willing. Thanks in advance.

Van G Out
Re: HT Sytem Pieces to Consider
#32396 01/29/04 08:56 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Van_G, welcome
it looks like you've chosen well as far as new speakers are concerned. I think you will be very happy with the Axioms, and the upgrade to a VP150 is probably the right choice if funds allow (especially if you have a large HT room).

I'm not completely familiar with your NAD setup. I'm sure it's just a newer version of the NAD 160/270. If that is the case, you've got a very nice 2 channel setup. But if you're looking to wade into the HT arena, you'll need a new processor. AV receivers like the Yamaha RX-V1400 are a very popular choice around here because of their auto calibration features. They also have preout connections so you will be able to still use your power amp to power your main speakers if you wish. This shouldn't be a necessity though, as the Yamaha will have plenty of power to drive your mains to eardrum-shattering volumes.

I don't think you have to worry too much about the DVD player. As you can see, here the reviews on this model of DVD player were quite good. Panasonic has a reputation for building quality DVD players at prices a fraction of most other company's players. So realistically, I don't think you'd see a drastic improvement in quality sound or picture to upgrade your DVD player. However, if you think you want to get in to multi-channel music playing like SACD or DVD-Audio, here's a coule of popular choices:
Denon 2200
Pioneer DV-563A
these are two highly regarded players that won't break the bank. Good luck!

"Chickens don't clap."
#32397 01/29/04 09:02 PM
devotee
devotee
I'd use the Panasonic till it dies. Replace it with a new mid-grade dvd player with the Faroudja chip. I've read that Panasonic will once again use the chip in some of their new models for 2004.

#32398 01/29/04 09:34 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I agree. I had an RP 62 and it was terrific, tested by Secrets of Home Audio - found superior to many much higher priced competitors.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
#32399 01/29/04 09:50 PM
Van_G Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Thanks for the replies. Good to hear that some of my budget is freed by keeping my current DVD Player.

I spoke with Joe at Axiom and it looks like the Grand Master Epic is a good choice with VP150 and maybe a sub upgrade for future space. Then adding floor standing speakers in the new space and being able to use the M22ti in another zone.

I've looked at couple of processor's and although these are over my budget I'm intrigued by Anthem and Sony's TA900ES. Not many people talking about Sony here - is there a reason?

Thanks for reccomending the Yamaha Receiver - my first stereo was a Yamaha RX-500U with Dual Turntable!

How would the Yamaha RX-V1400 pair agianist the Sony 5000ES?

I'm trying to buy with multi room and some ability to roll my computer appz into my home media.

Van G Out

Van G Out
#32400 01/29/04 09:54 PM
aficionado
aficionado
In reply to:

I've looked at couple of processor's and although these are over my budget I'm intrigued by Anthem and Sony's TA900ES. Not many people talking about Sony here - is there a reason?

Personally, I've had far too many problems with anything from Sony that wasn't a TV in the past. Their receivers and optic drives especially. As such, I'd never recommend them though I've heard the ES line lacks much of the reliability problems. Personally, my experience with their service department is still enough for me to warn against them.

Anthem on the other hand is fantastic.

#32401 01/29/04 10:56 PM
Van_G Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Thanks for the Sony comment. All experiences are appreciated. The thing that intrigued me about the Sony unit was the Remote, the thought into home integration, and the technology offered.

Who makes a great two-way remote pad? I've been doing most of this stuff with my Palm for a couple years.

Anthem would be a big step for me. Wondering just how upgradeable they are? Do they upgrade the unit to new I/O or is it simply replacing hardware codec board and software?

On a side note: Are there any bbs out there that are for aggresive home integrator nuts? Working the media platform into bed with computing and information?

Van G Out
#32402 01/29/04 11:14 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
The Sony processor has more than its share of positive professional reviews. I use a Sony STRDB 1070 as a processor and I like it! No problems, great sound, easy to use, etc. If you're upbudget, you can always go with the Integra DTC 9.4. I've heard it and I like it!

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
#32403 01/30/04 12:29 AM
Van_G Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Thanks for the reply Sid,

My NAD 2700 Power Amp spec's are seen here . I bought it in '94.

Since I already have one Amp, is this worthwhile in moving down the separate component route? Will the Anthem or other processors in the 2-5K CDN range give me a quality platform that match well with the Axiom speakers and NAD Amp?

If I do go separate pieces, what multi channel power amp's are good? Anthem PVA 5/7, NAD?

Or should I purchase a transitional product like a Sony ES or Yamaha RX-V and see where I am in a year or so?

This isn't a hobby or a passion - it's an addiction!

Van G Out
#32404 01/30/04 01:00 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Van,
If you are adding multi channel amps, the Anthem PVA series has had great reviews. I had the MCA20 in my possession over Christmas and i loved it. They are not overly expensive items either which makes them very attractive.
My thoughts on the Anthem amp can be found here.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020