Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Blackberry or Droid for business?
#324204 09/29/10 10:54 AM
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
My PDA seems to be dying. It's probably just the battery, but it's done a few flaky things over the past 6 months and has become VERY unreliable the last day or two. Batteries aren't all that expensive, but the PDA has been beat up a bit over the last 3-4 years, and I've been getting tired of carrying a separate PDA and phone everywhere anyway.

I don't really care about internet use on a phone (at least, not at the moment). What's critically important is syncing my calendar, contacts and maybe even my task list with Outlook (currently Office 2003, though I'm open to updating to the new Office if needed). I'd also like to be able to sync Word docs if possible.

Multimedia is less important to me. I've always used a phone as a phone, then again maybe it's time to get with the times.

My initial feelings are that Blackberry is better for business and the Droid is better for multimedia.... but maybe I'm believing marketing hype. Neither site seems to be very helpful... they're both all about "coolness" and anyone who knows me knows that I don't even try to fake that.

Anyone have experience to share?

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Re: Blackberry or Droid for business?
MarkSJohnson #324205 09/29/10 11:24 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I have an Android phone + iPod touch, my girlfriend has a Blackberry Bold 9700 and, at the office, we devellop software for all three. If all you care about is business-type stuff, then Blackberry by a landslide. My girlfriend frequently goes 5-7 days without charging and she uses it a lot (not "heavily", but a lot). It is well-thought and the keyboard is excellent. The applications are a bit on the ugly-side (compared to Android, or even the iPhone), but they are very functional.

The Bold 9700 has a pretty high resolution making everything onscreen easy to read and not causing eye fatigue (it provides the same DPI as the better Android phones and the new iPhone 4), but on a smaller screen.

Additionnal: By comparison (based on my phones and what we see at the office, the 5-7 days would translate into 1-2 days for android phones like mine (Xperia 10) and 1.5-3 days with newer iPhones.

Last edited by EFalardeau; 09/29/10 11:27 AM.

See Mojo's signature
EFalardeau #324207 09/29/10 12:05 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
We use blackberry at our work, but only because that is the only option for web based phones.

I'm sure if people could choose droid or iphone many of them would switch... However, there aren't too many complaints about the blackberry- it seems to be a winner for business only (emails, phone, etc.)

Also, with all of the streaming music and how often i use my iphone 4 it gets charged bout every day and a half.

-David
terzaghi #324208 09/29/10 12:24 PM
OP Offline
Great info! Maybe I should have asked if the Palm is still in the running for anything(?)

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #324213 09/29/10 01:55 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
The new Palms are junk.

Blackberries are targeted at business users.

Androids are a pain to sync with Outlook/Exchange because of the MS vs. Google war.

I don't like Apple stuff, but that's a personal bias.

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
ClubNeon #324215 09/29/10 02:15 PM
We use both Blackberries and iPhones at my work. While I prefer to carry an iPhone, I'd say the BB is better for typing out emails on, and offers slightly better integration with Exchange, although not a lot at this point.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #324228 09/29/10 04:16 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Our Tech department chose Droid rather than Blackberry or iPhone. The Manager is no longer with us.

I have a Droid and used to have a Palm Centro. Man, that Centro was just tremendous - I loved it because it reliably synced with Outlook at the desktop level and didn't require a data plan. Good old days.

Anyway, the Droid is a pretty good little machine, but you would certainly have to change your business model - instead of using Outlook, you would have to use Google Calendar, etc. It's not that it is impossible to make Outlook work, but using Gmail and other Google apps is really slick and easy. Embrace cloud computing. The other thing that becomes seamless with Google Docs is use of Word, PDF, etc. on multiple platforms.

Any of those kinds of phones are probably going to require an unlimited data plan.

Mrs. Tuttle adores her iPad, and it also synced beautifully with the Googles. My kids adore their iPods. My colleagues regularly swoon over their iPhones.

It sounds like you're probably best off with a Blackberry, but I have no experience with them.

So, I take it that the Pocket PC (Windows Mobile) platform is dead to you all, then?

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #324229 09/29/10 04:39 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Don't know much about these techie devises so take this with a grain of sodium chloride, I've always understood that Blackberry's were the choice of most businesses and other phones were preferred by home users. I think it may have something to do with the security of emailing(preferred on BBry).

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
MarkSJohnson #324232 09/29/10 04:51 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hey Mark, I am actually just going through some of these electronic pains as the company I work for was bought by a larger company and I am in the midst of the IT switchover.

I use bberry and we (as of Monday) have a bberry enterprise server which keeps everything synced for me now. However prior to the BES being in place I used some Google sync widgets that actually worked really well. My calendar was always up to date within 5 minutes or so of entering events no matter where I actually did the entry. I think you can have really almost the same experience with synchronization no matter which device you choose (of course there are going to be some differences), so to me it comes down to form factor and features that you like.

In the end I chose bberry (Bold 9700) because of the keyboard, ease of use with email and battery life. Web, games and mmedia work but are not as slick as on the i products and droids.

For the record I have a mac and iPods at home, but for work organization I use the bberry with Outlook.

Dan
On-Wall M5HP LCR, QS8 & EP500 in 7.1
cb919 #324234 09/29/10 05:14 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
They company I work for is an AT&T Wireless reseller, I just checked on the number of Windows Mobile phones we have in stock: none. But there is one Sony Ericsson with Symbian OS (owned by Nokia).

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465