Rate Thread
Page 18 of 19 1 2 16 17 18 19
Re: Storm damage to HT room?
ClubNeon #333312 01/03/11 07:10 PM
CatBrat Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Every now-and-then an opportunity comes by that's just too good to pass up. That's how it was with this California King size bed by Stearns & Foster. JCPenney's has it for $2600. The MSRP is $6000. There's a new damaged item store by me that had this for $500 including delivery. I couldn't pass it by for that. The only damage is an occasional smudge on the sides. I lost my bed 8 years ago and never replaced it until now. The only problem is my acid reflux problem keeps me from sleeping in it. (Stomach acid finds it's way to my mouth after laying flat for about 3 hours). So, I've been sleeping in a recliner the past 8 years. I think if I prop the head a few inches and get one of those wedge shaped things to sleep on, it might work for me.

I had a little trouble keeping the model from jumping off the bed while I took the picture.

CatBrat #333330 01/03/11 09:07 PM
shareholder in the making
Nice deal!

Re the acid reflux, have you tried sleeping on your left side? That should position the connection between your esophagus and your stomach above the stomach acid.

pmbuko #333331 01/03/11 09:11 PM
CatBrat Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
I usually toss and turn all night and I'm not couscous of what I'm doing. I'm a really sound sleeper, and I snore loudly, or so I've been told. I wake up with a dry mouth all the time.

CatBrat #333337 01/03/11 09:23 PM
Originally Posted By: CatBrat
I usually toss and turn all night and I'm not couscous of what I'm doing.

Going to bed on a full stomach, even if it's just couscous, will cause problems.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #333339 01/03/11 09:48 PM
OH! Tainted love...

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
MarkSJohnson #333361 01/04/11 02:13 AM
CatBrat Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
I usually toss and turn all night and I'm not couscous of what I'm doing.

Going to bed on a full stomach, even if it's just couscous, will cause problems.

Gotta love that spelling checker.

CatBrat #333369 01/04/11 05:21 AM
CatBrat Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Not that it matters, but I believe that it was Macy's that had the bed at $2600. Not JCPenney's like I had previously said.

CatBrat #333467 01/05/11 02:10 AM
CatBrat Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite

I've been studying dead vents today. It looks like I could add one to the rear center of the HT room, about a foot shy of the ceiling so a projector can be placed on top of it. A vent either high or low in the HT room, with the other end venting towards the HT door on the outside of the room. Perhaps it could be wired so the built in fan would come on/off with the furnace fan, with a bypass switch that would allow you to either add or expel air at will, or to shut it off. I don't know if that's possible or not, but it seems like it should be.

At least that should solve my problem of how to get an HVAC return installed.

CatBrat #333493 01/05/11 10:52 AM
J
J
Nice sketches, looking good.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #334961 01/19/11 08:09 PM
CatBrat Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
I'm copying some thoughts I wrote in a different thread to here where it belongs to help me with my thoughts, plans.

Originally Posted By: grunt
Suppose that you have a 10 foot wide 2.40:1 AT screen. I was wondering about if you used 5 in-cabinet M80 behind the screen where it was LW/L/space/C/space/R/RW. Also assume that there is only a couple inches of free space between the screen and the wall, so no speaker could be placed on the front wall outside of the screen. Would this be a good way to do this, or would the wides and mains be too close together? The Wides and L/R would be next to each other, one on each side of a stud.

Here's an interesting layout for 11.1 from the Audyssey.com site:

Using M80s as wide speakers would IMO be a waste of money. M2 speakers work just as well as there is really no significant bass going to the wide speakers. I even swapped out my M22s wides for a pair of M2s and can’t tell the difference.

As for speaker separation I would use this as a starting point.

http://www.audyssey.com/technology/dsx.html

Placing your wide speakers close to your mains wouldn't help much if at all. It might also cause interference as the mains and their corresponding wide speakers share a lot of the same audio information in the midrange and up.

Also note that if your main speakers are farther off center than 30 degrees, say closer to 45 degrees then wide speakers don’t help much either. Unless for some reason your surround speakers are way behind your seating.

My screen is 9’8” wide and I have my L/R mains placed to the far left and right so that the front soundstage corresponds to the on screen action perfectly . . . well at least when its well mastered to match the on screen action. The wides mostly fill in the front sides with ambient sounds like crowd, office, machinery and other noises that would fill an area. Occasionally they also enhance hard pans coming from or going offstage in either direction. On well mastered audio tracks there are often voices coming from off stage L/R when a character off screen is talking. However I find this most in video games and anime titles, only a few movies are mastered to where you hear things coming from off to the left or right. Some Star Wars and the LOTR movies come to mind.

Yeah, that's good for perfect room conditions, but mine is screen from wall to wall. So, I guess that you are saying that it wouldn't benefit me, and could possibly make the sound worse. If I did go this route, then I should only use M2s. If I did do this, then possibly, putting M2s in the lower corners of the screen for Wides and M2s in the higher corners of the screen for Heights might actually work? There would only be a few inches between screen and ceiling also, so no room outside the screen boundary for heights.

Just making plans on where to run wires and mount speakers.

Kind of like this:

Also, could use QS8 for heights mounted in the same upper corner spots shown.

Originally Posted By: grunt
My screen also takes up almost all of the wall. There is no room or even place to mount wide speakers on my front wall which is why they are on my side walls. Unless you don’t have the room on the sides or just don’t like the look maintaining the angle is more important than which wall the speakers are on. That’s another reason I prefer the M2s even to the M22s is they aren’t obtrusive hanging off the front side walls.

If you have multiple rows of seating that are far enough apart you could even try using double surrounds and or double wides, one set for each row. Sort of like theaters have multiple speakers along the walls.

Only 1 row of 3 seats. It's a small theater. About 11' wide by 13-15' feet deep by 6'9" high. I think I'll plan on my layout I have above for now. All speakers will be pointed straight forward. Using M2's for wide and QS8's for heights. It may not be optimum, but at least I can take advantage of all channels and be future proofed for a little while.

I plan on QS8 for surround left and right slightly behind head position and with in ceiling mounted for rears because there won't be a rear wall that can work and I need to conserve space.

All of the above should provide an ample surround sound experience.

Edit: As an afterthought, I could leave the M2 where I had planned in the lower corners of the screen, only aim them at the side walls, bouncing the sound off of the side walls, creating a wider effect. (Or find a speaker that may be more designed for this).

Page 18 of 19 1 2 16 17 18 19

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters