Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Very Angry
#32654 01/31/04 06:08 PM
grifter Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
I just got my new Axiom speakers in yesterday and I find myself sitting here today very angry. I purchased the M60's, VP150, and QS8's and hooked them all up to a Yamaha RXV 2400 and now I am burning up. I was up until 4 in the morning listening to my new setup doing some minor tweaking and let me just say that I am fuming. Why you may ask? Well let me tell you. I am disgusted that it took me so long to find out about these incredible speakers and I am chapped over the fact that I wasted years with my tired little Bose system.
I was flabbergasted when I heard these babies turn out such clear, full and robust sound, and I haven't even done any calibration yet. Plus my subwoofer from SVS hasn't come in yet either. I shudder to think what it will all finally end up sounding like. I may never leave my house.
So today I am sitting at work bleary eyed but grinning from ear to ear. I am excited about watching all of my movies again. Based on last night's preview I fell like I just got a whole new collection. By the way the speaker look great. I got the cherry and couldn't be happier.
I don't normally post, although I've been reading this site for months, but I just wanted to say thanks to you guys that post on here. You definitely helped me make my decision and I think Axiom is very fortunate to have such a loyal, and helpful customer base. I now understand why people are so adamant about the quality of these speakers. I know this is cheesy but I'm feeling a little giddy right now and so I'm gushing. Apologies:)
I do have one small question though. My Yamaha receiver gives me the option for 6 or 8 ohms but does not specify which speakers require which setting. So I just set everything for 6 because of the QS8s. Am I missing something on how to set this up? Should I just set everything to 8? Should I get a new reciever? (I hope that I don't have to get a new reciever because I like the one I have and I do not want to have to rewire everything).
So again thanks and if anyone has the Yamaha 2400 a little input would be great.

Re: Very Angry
#32655 01/31/04 06:26 PM
M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
Hehe, congratulations. I thought there was something wrong with your new speakers. =P I hope someday to purchase a whole system like yours. For now, I'm loving my m2i's.

#32656 01/31/04 07:28 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Geez, grifter, that was a very scary beginning to your post. I'm betting a lot of other Axiomites will have an emotional response until they realize your intent. Whew!

Don't worry about your receiver - it will be great. Somebody more savvy with that model will surely chime in, but I can say with some certainty that it is not going to have any trouble driving your setup to very satisfactory levels. I don't think the QS8's represent any load problem at all; I have them attached to a Denon 1804 (which is less robust than your Yammy) and everything set to 8 ohms. No problems.

Enjoy your new speakers, and next time, don't try to scare us!

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#32657 01/31/04 07:43 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
well i was like wtf could have possibly happened to make this guy soo mad lol. so i assume those bose are now residing in their new home. the trash can? good work.

#32658 01/31/04 07:47 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Grifter,

From someone who is now in the "how much longer till they get here mode" (I ordered a custom finish), I was VERY relieved to hear that your Axioms had exceeded your expectations.

As I am seriously upgrading from a four year old Sony HTIB, I hope to be as impressed as you were. My room is 13 by 18 with a roof line that slopes down from 10 feet to 8 feet with the back of the room partially opening into a small dining area off the kitchen. I am expecting the M60's combined with the VP150 and M22ti's for the rears to sound bloody awesome compared to what I have now. I am planning on getting a set of QS8's in the future when I upgrade my receiver as I don't want to have to hang them in the rent house I am currently in. Not to mention the stands available for the QS8's are very much too short in my opinion. I can say that the SVS 20-39 PC + I have will pressurize this room config to the point that you feel the fight between the T-rex and the Spinosaurus from JPIII is happening right there in the room with you.

Looking forward to a Fed Ex delivery...at least three weeks out...

WhatFurrer

"Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup..."
#32659 01/31/04 08:16 PM
grifter Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Hehe. Sorry about the pump fake on the anger but I'm a little sleep deprived and happy as a little clam, so I couldn't help but have a little fun. I'm sure there are some people ready to throttle me but that's okay, because today...day...day...dayyyy...I consider myself...self...self...selffff...the luckiest man alive...ive...ive...iveee
WhatFurrer my house has very similar dimensions to yours. 16x19 living room with a dining room and kitchen off the back, all under a sloped ceiling. I think you will notice a huge difference and then you can come back and be goofy giddy on this site like me. I hope the M22ti's work out well. I can't say enough about how impressed I was with the QS8's. They are extremely immersive and sound fantastic. I'm glad to hear about your sub. I'm looking forward to getting mine in, hopefully it will be soon.

#32660 01/31/04 08:29 PM
shareholder in the making
Grif, noticed a difference from the Bose, did you? Enjoy. Leave it at 8ohms, chances are about zero that it would shut down. When you get your sub and use YPAO, make it skip the speaker size and sub crossover adjustments. Set all speakers "small" with an 80Hz crossover.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#32661 01/31/04 08:37 PM
regular
regular
Man you had me scared for a minute. On Wednesday I’m going to be ordering the same speakers you just got. I have been researching these speakers for months now and I haven’t seen anyone get that mad about them. I too am replacing a Bose system so I can’t wait to get these speakers. One more week and the new system will be all hooked up and the Bose will be gone.

Glad to hear that you did like them. That makes me feel even better about my soon to be purchase.

Last edited by teddyruxpin; 01/31/04 08:40 PM.

#32662 01/31/04 09:27 PM
grifter Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Thanks for the heads up on the config and ohms issue JohnK. Out of curiosity does it affect the sound if you use 8ohms instead of 6ohms or is that purely just a power rating?

#32663 01/31/04 09:46 PM
Most of the time it would have no effect on the sound. Using the lower setting, however(to keep you from burning down the city)limits the maximum voltage, and therefore power,which is available and should be used only as a last resort if the amp keeps shutting down.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#32664 02/01/04 12:13 AM
J
veteran
veteran
J
You had me concerned since I am in the middle of deciding which Axiom setup to get. I am looking at the M60s, VP150, QS8s and a sub to be named later. BTW, if you were copying Lou Gehrig, I believe he said, "today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth." As a die hard Yankee fan, who loves the "Pride of the Yankees" I couldn't resist.

Seriously though, I always like to read about another satisfied (or should I say elated) customer. Thanks for your input and enjoy!

#32665 02/01/04 07:50 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
"goofy giddy" - "immersive". Amen, brother.

Stick around and help some other folks make the right choice. I listened to my setup tonight at obscene volumes and had a stupidly happy look on my face. Great detail.

You former Bose folks are in for a life-changing experience.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#32666 02/01/04 06:52 PM
grifter Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Oops sorry about the misquote
Okay now to business. I have two issues that have crept up and I was wondering if anyone has some advice. But first I want to say that I watched Once Upon a Time in Mexico last night (a decent, campy gunfest) and it sounded awesome. I've never been so enthralled by such an average movie - thank you Axiom! Okay now to the concerns.

First, I discovered the dreaded sibilance issue that I've read about. It only happens on the audio from my satellite. Wondering if maybe an upgraded reciever from direct tv might correct this. Currently it only has L/R stereo cables coming from the box. Oddly enough if I switch my Yamaha to a 5 channel mode like THX it remedies a lot of the hissing that shows up in stereo. Everything else, DVD's and CD's sound incredible so I think it's just the speakers revealing flaws in the signal.

Second, I got my first complaint from a neighbor last night. I found this to be quite depressing as I didn't really feel like I had the system all THAT loud. I mean come on, the subwoofer hasn't even come in yet and my neighbor is complaining about things rattling in his house. I could be in for a lot of trouble. This has led me to conclude that perhaps my house is not built quite as well as I thought, but that's beside the point. I was wondering if anyone knows much about sound proofing a house without putting baffles and crap on the walls. I went outside and it seems to me that a lot of the sound is coming through the roof. I have blown insulation in the ceiling and I was wondering if there are better dampering properties to batted insulation. Any ideas that won't cost a fortune would be appreciated.

Sorry again for the long post

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
2 members (Cork, chapin99), 316 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup