Rate Thread
Help with sub wiring options on back of sub
#327568 11/05/10 02:03 AM
F
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
F
Thanks for everyone's help on my previous thread about deciding on a center channel. I have decided to go with the VP100 and a set of M22 (all on-wall versions). While the speakers are in shipment, I am now trying to figure out how I will set/wire the system up. confused

My first question, of many to come I'm sure, is about my sub. I have an old Energy Encore8 sub (I will be using the energy sats as surrounds for now). On the back of the sub I have several sets of connectors, two called "high level input", and another two called "high level output". So I guess I have the option of running the left and right front speaker output from the AVR to the sub, and then from the sub to the left and right speakers. On the other hand I can just run the output of the AVR directly to the speakers themselves. Does anyone know the preferred method in this case? I plan on using a Denon AVR-591.

The other two inputs on the sub are "low level input", and one is called "sub", and the other "xover". Unfortunately I have lost the manual for the speakers, can anyone enlighten me on what these two are used for? I assume the sub one is connected from the sub out on the AVR, but what about the xover one?

Re: Help with sub wiring options on back of sub
flyboy320 #327573 11/05/10 02:29 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
If your receiver has a "sub out" RCA jack, connect it to the low-level input on the sub. I don't know about "sub" v. "xover". Is there an adjustable crossover knob on the sub? If NOT, perhaps one of those inputs has a low-pass filter or something.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #327574 11/05/10 02:36 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
That will be a great system, btw! Congrats!

I found your manual...

http://www.energy-speakers.com/images/download/448.aspx

Looks like the "x-over" input bypasses the built-in low-pass control. If you are using the Denon to manage the bass (and you probably should), it probably doesn't matter which input you use.

At any rate, I'd use the low level input instead of stringing cables all over the place. Then, you can experiment with various settings and both of those connections to see if there is any useful difference.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #327580 11/05/10 02:58 AM
F
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
F
Thanks tomtuttle!

I haven't got the receiver yet, it's still in the mail so I can't tell you what it has on the back, but looking at the online manual it looks like there is a RCA 'sub pre out". I will be using the AVR to manage the base.

The sub has two rotary knobs on the front. The top controls the level of the base relative to the sats (haven't played around with that one in a while). The lower knob controls the crossover from 50-100Hz.

Oh, and thanks for finding the manual!

flyboy320 #327581 11/05/10 03:18 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Flyer, the receiver output terminals should be wired directly to the speakers(which the manual terms "conventional"), not through the sub. Then, the sub should be connected to the sub out on the receiver with a coaxial cable with RCA plugs on the ends. As Tom points out, the manual states that the "xover" input bypasses the internal sub frequency control(a variable low pass filter)and therefore it should be used since the receiver will be controlling the frequencies fed to the sub and a conflict with the internal sub control should be avoided.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #327582 11/05/10 03:26 AM
F
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
F
Ah, OK makers sense now, thanks. Can't wait for the speakers to arrive smile

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard