Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 19 of 21 1 2 17 18 19 20 21
Re: Audioholics Ultimate Subwoofer Shootout
CatBrat #328650 11/16/10 07:57 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
What did you say, Ken? I can't hear you over this stirring....!

Darbo, it's going to be awesome!

I don't know what happened between Axiom and Audioholics, but I know disagreements arise, and those don't need to be made public. And, if they are, we should all be able to avoid sounding like a bunch of small-town little old ladies in a knitting circle.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
2x6spds #328651 11/16/10 07:59 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: 2x6spds
I always put my subwoofers atop 90' poles. I just wait for the wind to die down. I wouldn't think of comparing subs using any other method, or methodology. I'm sure many of you feel the same way. I think it is a testimonial to Alan Lofft's reasonable approach to this dispute that he did not insist on the more challenging 180' pole test.

Watch out for subwoofers falling out of the sky. Believe me, they will leave a mark.

So then you listen to your speakers with your head flush to the ground?

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
MarkSJohnson #328652 11/16/10 08:01 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
we should all be able to avoid sounding like a bunch of small-town little old ladies in a knitting circle.

EH!! whatcha say sonny?

darbo #328653 11/16/10 08:16 PM
J
veteran
veteran
J
Originally Posted By: darbo
Hello, I am a new Axiom Audio customer expecting the arrival of two M80s, two QS8s, a VP180, and an EP500 on Thursday of this week. While I am eager to hear how it all sounds, I admit the subject of the Audioholics subwoofer shootout is causing me a degree of buyers remorse already.

Whatever the truth may be, from my vantage point as a new/prospective customer, Axiom, by their unwillingness to participate in the subwoofer shootout, is saying to me: "We are aftraid of the competition; we believe our subwoofer can't stand up to the other manufacturers' products." Whether that's right or not, it is how it appears to me. So, my yet-to-be-delivered EP500 is already stained in my mind as a possibly inferior product.

The real bummer in all this, as others have noted, I (Axiom customer) would have never heard of Axiom Audio, nor would have ever ordered from Axiom if it weren't for all the incredible rave reviews that Audioholics have give Axiom products over the years.

When I, a mere consumer/non-audio expert start googling up speaker reviews, I am always led to the Audioholics site, and their reviews subsequently led me to Axiom Audio. But, it now appears that Axiom isn't happy with that arrangement by pulling advertisements from the site. I think that is sad. It certainly gives me pause for thought even before I pull those new speakers out of their boxes. I'm hoping they'll be awesome, but the Audioholics thing has served to diminish my expectations. Please be clear that I am not writing to complain, just to expressing the impact that the subwoofer shootout controversy is having on me; a new customer.

[edit]Any statements you'd like to make regarding how great the M80s, VP180, QS8s, and especially the EP500 speakers are by way of encouragement regarding my substantial purchase decision, I would be quite appreciative![/edit]

David

David;

I enjoy my Axiom system very much but like I said for the last 3 posts, I am suspect as to why Axiom has not a single review with 3rd party measurements of their new EP800. I can't even find tests on other forums for this sub. The Axiom site shows you a measurement at 90dB. Big whoop. I wanna see what this sub does when it hits volume 11 wink

darbo #328654 11/16/10 08:20 PM
aficionado
aficionado

[edit]Any statements you'd like to make regarding how great the M80s, VP180, QS8s, and especially the EP500 speakers are by way of encouragement regarding my substantial purchase decision, I would be quite appreciative![/edit]

David

I think you get influenced to easily! you got influenced by AH reviews to buy Axiom, you're getting buyer's remorse before even listening to your setup due to AH's comments and now you're looking to get positively influenced by Axiom owners.

Peace of advice: hookup your system, listen to it and whatever you're not completely happy with, return it.

If you want more reassurance, ask AH to do a center speaker shootout and enter the VP180 as a contestant wink

Bruno
M80s/VP180/QS8s/EP600/AVR-890
------------------------------------
"The problem is choice..."
bdpf #328657 11/16/10 08:33 PM
J
veteran
veteran
J
Quote:
If you want more reassurance, ask AH to do a center speaker shootout and enter the VP180 as a contestant wink

now you're just itching to open a pandoras box aren't ya? cool

Last edited by JBall; 11/16/10 08:34 PM.
Adrian #328659 11/16/10 08:57 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: Adrian
Originally Posted By: 2x6spds
I always put my subwoofers atop 90' poles. I just wait for the wind to die down. I wouldn't think of comparing subs using any other method, or methodology. I'm sure many of you feel the same way. I think it is a testimonial to Alan Lofft's reasonable approach to this dispute that he did not insist on the more challenging 180' pole test.

Watch out for subwoofers falling out of the sky. Believe me, they will leave a mark.

So then you listen to your speakers with your head flush to the ground?

Ears to the ground? that would be for ferrets and trackers. I use the 90' pole test. How about you?

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
CatBrat #328661 11/16/10 09:05 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: CatBrat
Originally Posted By: CatBrat
I've had the EP350 for several months and am pleased with it. The EP500 has the same size box, but with a bigger amplifier. I'm anticipating that your concerns will melt away after you are setup and have everything adjusted for your room, and listening preferences.
Thanks! That's the stuff I'm fishing for. BTW,I'm from Lee's Summit, MO, so we're practically neighbors.

That's great. I don't know anyone else in my area with Axioms. Perhaps we could get together sometime. I am sending you a PM with contact information, if you'd like to e-mail or talk. Good luck with your system.

Since you're new here, here's how to read your Private Mail.
You should have a flashing letter by "My Stuff" at the top of the Forum page. Click on that then click on Message.

2x6spds #328663 11/16/10 09:14 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Neither. Never built my own subwoofer although I'd like to.

There's some interesting info on Linkwitz Lab's website in reg's to subwoofer measuring. He basically states that in the absence of a very tall tower or anechoic chamber, the best option is a ground plane setup and the importance of setting such a method up properly and interpreting the data correctly. See writeup on it here.

CatBrat #328664 11/16/10 09:19 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Darbo, I too have the same setup (vp150 instead o 180). You will NOT be disappointed I assure you.

-David
Page 19 of 21 1 2 17 18 19 20 21

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020