Rate Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Tweak, stupid or not.
#32881 02/06/04 06:08 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
*whew* Had me worried... and you had 2x6spds so happy.

Have noticed a lot more audio shamans hanging around here lately... was starting to wonder if the Monster Cable/AudioTweaks types were planting new members here to mislead.

I'm of one major thought on the issue of tweaks... if the pros don't do it, I probably don't need to.

Bren R.

#32882 02/06/04 06:33 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Audio Shamans? Need more of them to balance out the know- nothing-know-it-alls don't you think?

You can discount reports of the good effects of some tweaks or different cabling in a given system as the 'placebo' effect, but on the other hand, maybe a theory that says these things can have no audible effect is an inadequate theory.

In any case, Bren, folks of differing opinion hang out on this website. Agreeing with any particular point of view on tweaks or cables is not a requirement for "hanging around here."

I picked up some acoustic foam from partsexpress.com.

Opened up a pair of M66s (similar driver compliment but to the M50Ti but smaller cabinet). Cut the foam and laid it in to damp the cabinets. Bass definitely tightened up and the speakers sound even better than before, even before break-in. (just kidding - about the break-in.)

My garage system is set out on a large wood table. 2 Dahlquist DQM 905s, Yamaha M80 amp, JVC XM405 CDP. Under the table is a 10" subwoofer. When I crank it a bit, gets pretty ragged - because at least the CDP is dancing maybe the amp as well. I isolated the CDP with a cut up Office Depot wrist pad - much better. Set some under the amp and speakers - sounds great.

See, without a grand theory of everything audio, or a bunch of retired sound fellas to rely on, some folks consider what they read, and rely on what they try and what they hear.

If audio faith were worthless, then what kind of folks would rely on the testimony of people like us as to how much we like Axiom speakers? Fools by your lights I guess.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
#32883 02/06/04 07:24 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
I would believe in these magic tweaks a lot more if one person, one time would just own up and say "you know, I tried it, it did nothing"... but the closest I ever hear to that is "there was a (slight, minor, small, almost imperceivable) positive impact on the (sound stage, lows, mids, highs, timbre, appearance) after this tweak"... if only one person at one time using something that doesn't conform to the standards of science and physics (we're not talking isolation here - remember all Dynamat claims to do is disperse vibrations through air into heat energy!)... would just stand tall and say "okay, I was rooked, I heard no difference", I could possibly be swayed.

By the way, I've never mentioned "retired sound fellas"... I mentioned retired audio technicians from the world-renowned Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. Calling them "sound fellas" is like calling Mother Teresa a dead old lady.

In the end, if you feel your system sounds better after the $1.95 fix, consider it a victory whether or not it's founded in fact... the end result is the same, for a minimum outlay, you feel better about what you hear.

Bren R.

#32884 02/06/04 07:57 AM
shareholder in the making
In reply to:

Calling them "sound fellas" is like calling Mother Teresa a dead old lady.

#32885 02/06/04 08:12 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I've passed on the green felt tip mod for CDs, Shakti stones, $500 per vial of Stradivarius laquer and various other tweaks which made no sense to me - not to say that I couldn't be surprised had I tried them. So far my tweaking has been limited to replacing capacitors, resistors, internal speaker wire, weird Mapleshade speaker wire, heavy duty power cords, damping and isolating components. I've been lucky. I also picked up some ferrite cores for power cables, but heard no difference - but I didn't have RF interference problems to begin with. Now I can't figure out how to get them off, but no harm either.

I did take exception to Bren's comment about misleading folks on this site. I try to get through every day without misleading anyone.

#32886 02/06/04 08:19 AM
In reply to:

I did take exception to Bren's comment about misleading folks on this site. I try to get through every day without misleading anyone.

This is true. At worst, 2x6 balks at blind devotion to science, and then encourages us to try it before we dismiss it.

#32887 02/06/04 08:38 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I only balk at a blind devotion to a static science.

Although I applaud engineers' application of scientific principals, very few engineers have been great scientists. I think quantum sht even happens in Sony products and only ask for a bit of modesty from folks whose 'deep' understanding of the science involved in electronic music reproduction may be simultaneously immodest and incomplete - less subtle than the events they presume to understand.

#32888 02/06/04 09:28 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Ah, 2x6 is looking for buttons again.
In reply to:

and only ask for a bit of modesty from folks whose 'deep' understanding of the science involved in electronic music reproduction may be simultaneously immodest and incomplete - less subtle than the events they presume to understand.

So my reliance on hard facts rather than the things that happen at the subatomic level that I cannot see, hear or touch... by the very virtue of the fact I don't believe that anything glued, stapled, magnetically stuck to, painted onto or put in proximity of a home receiver will make it sound better... this makes my view incomplete? I'm to believe that "anything is possible" therefore I should put my faith in anything?

I need proof, spds... scientific proof, be it double blind testing, measurements... anything but a group of people saying yes, the emperor is very well dressed today.

Bren R.

#32889 02/06/04 03:54 PM
axiomite
axiomite
My thoughts exactly Bren.

In reply to:

anything but a group of people saying yes, the emperor is very well dressed today.

Now that's funny. Damn funny.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#32890 02/06/04 04:42 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Didn't somebody smart once say something like "you can't prove that something is impossible"? Is that germane? Are you guys playing nicely?

I like this board and the people on it. And I simply don't care deeply enough about the subtleties these kinds of things might possibly provide to even spend a little time and/or money on them. Criminy, I've got a dishwasher, aquaria, a dog, children, flourescent lights, a microwave, forced air heat and God knows what other ambient noise coming from *outside* the house to deal with before I will notice any benefit from enhanced electron flow.

If "it" works for you, I am sincerely pleased. I'm having a hard enough time keeping everything dusted.

Have a good beer.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082