Page 1 of 2 1 2
Stereo Amplifier for the M3v3
#328829 11/18/10 06:00 AM
Clovis Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
Hello Everyone,

Its amazing, I became a member of this site, since somewhere in 2003 and I've occasionaly popped in to take a look. I've just ordered the M3v3 from the auction site and can't wait to hear them perform.

I have been missing the stereo sound ever since I sold my Denon stereo amp (PMA500ae), to make way for Denon's HT AVR (1707 which I replaced with the 3310). I currently use Def Tech's BP6B as the front speakers as well other Def Tech's for my HT. I currently switch between using my Acer PC (itunes - fiber optic - Dolby 5.1 to 7.1) as a player and I have been happy with the performance, but I do think that stereo is in a separate category.

I am going to put the M3s in my bedroom... I'm going use my Denon DCD700AE as a player but I now need to purchase a stereo int amp or a pre/power amp combination... would welcome everbody's recommedations.. is the pre/power amp option overkill for the M3s? What would be the best wattage power for these speakers?

Clovis de Cruz
Re: Stereo Amplifier for the M3v3
Clovis #328830 11/18/10 06:47 AM
shareholder in the making
Clovis, welcome back! We've been wondering where you were the past seven years. You'll certainly enjoy the M3s in your bedroom setup, and as to powering them, there're so many excellent choices that it's hard to go wrong. If you really want only a 2-channel unit, the HK3490 stands out. Actually, though you can just as well use a Denon or other HT receiver for just two channels, which are every bit as good as the two in a stereo unit. Any of those rated anywhere in the 100 watt/channel area should be more than enough for your use. Enjoy.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #328834 11/18/10 07:49 AM
Clovis Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
Hi JohnK,

HK3490 appears attractive price & feature wise - not sure about its performance...the thing is I wouldn't be happy having a receiver, would prefer a dedicated stereo amp with less features- no FM, no digital inputs, no treble / bass knobs - just two RCA L+Rs, you know a simple, relevant amp which can drive these speakers well...
Of course it would also have to be affordable for me...I guess I'm looking for one in the $500 - $1000 range... a work colleague suggested I take my axiom's to the shop that sells the Naim Nait 5i but it might be expensive for me.
Also isn't it a clear thumb rule that pre/pow combination is an unregretable option...even if slightly more than a preamp. Any body got suggestions on budget pre-power amps...

Clovis de Cruz
Clovis #328835 11/18/10 08:31 AM
Clovis, there's no such rule-of-thumb which has a factual basis. There's simply nothing to support a claim that a "simple" integrated pre/power combination somehow is audibly better than a receiver loaded with bells and whistles. If the amplification takes place with audibly flat frequency response and inaudibly low noise and distortion, which is commonplace in even modestly-priced receivers these days, nothing more is possible in the amplification process.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Clovis #328842 11/18/10 12:33 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
Originally Posted By: Clovis
Hello Everyone,

Its amazing, I became a member of this site, since somewhere in 2003 and I've occasionaly popped in to take a look. I've just ordered the M3v3 from the auction site and can't wait to hear them perform.

I have been missing the stereo sound ever since I sold my Denon stereo amp (PMA500ae), to make way for Denon's HT AVR (1707 which I replaced with the 3310). I currently use Def Tech's BP6B as the front speakers as well other Def Tech's for my HT. I currently switch between using my Acer PC (itunes - fiber optic - Dolby 5.1 to 7.1) as a player and I have been happy with the performance, but I do think that stereo is in a separate category.

I am going to put the M3s in my bedroom... I'm going use my Denon DCD700AE as a player but I now need to purchase a stereo int amp or a pre/power amp combination... would welcome everbody's recommedations.. is the pre/power amp option overkill for the M3s? What would be the best wattage power for these speakers?

If your heart is set on a stereo amp, one still available out there, although it is a receiver, is the Outlaw R2150 which is very highly thought of and within your price range. In checking their site recently, I noticed one in B-Stock which ran $625(normal price $699). It might be worthwhile checking it out.

casey01 #328847 11/18/10 02:12 PM
Clovis Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
Thanks JohnK & Casey01 for your replies.

I clearly won't be going for a receiver... not with the choice of radio channels here... and also because it does not suit my purpose. I'd prefer audio from original audio cds. I am going to be reviewing the stereo amps of the denons, cambridge audio & Rotel as a start... they have been given good reviews at whathifi.com as well as being on the low cost side. I understand after discussing & researching information from people is that there are some stereo integrated amps which perform considerably better than some pre-pow amp combinations, but only if you have the money you can go for a high performing pre/power amp combo...my only doubt is how much should I spend on the amp in relation to the speaker... my guess is that a 100 watt amp is more than enough for the M3s so I should try for a lower one...since this is for a small bedroom. I'll also check out the NADS...

Clovis de Cruz
Clovis #328850 11/18/10 04:31 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
It seems like integrated amps are not as common any more. Too bad. I rather liked that combination.

When reading the thread, the brands that came to mind for me were NAD and Cambridge, so I am of no help frown I think that Marantz also makes integrated amps, and that Onkyo has a couple of digital integrated amps.

It seems like there are a lot of very excellent non-HDMI pre-amps on the used market right now, but your location probably limits your access to vintage gear.

As an aside, I participated in the blind test at Axiom in September which we later learned was the M3v3 v. B&W Nautilus 805. It was a very interesting exercise, and it really increased my appreciation for the M3. I think you will be very happy.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #329257 11/22/10 01:55 PM
Clovis Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
I was hoping for more inputs... seems like the recession has affected the audiophile community or maybe some are right... there might be some stereo receivers / integrated amps shich could be better than a pre-pow combo.

I did find some non hdmi amps on the local used market... but I guess I was looking for a pew/pow combo... have my eye on the rotel rc06 & rb06 combo... appears affordable for a new piece (showroom)

Am glad to learn about using your stereo power amps in bridged mode - for bi-amping.. something the rotel does

Clovis de Cruz
Clovis #329308 11/22/10 07:21 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I paired my M3Tis with a 5 watt per channel Single End Triode Antique Sound Labs MG S1 15DT integrated tube amplifier and a Velodyne subwoofer. For a source I mostly used an Ah upgraded Njoe Tjoeb CDP with tube output section.

The combination is incredibly good. This modest array of components made for one of the best sounding 2 channel sound systems I have ever heard.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
2x6spds #329318 11/22/10 07:59 PM
Originally Posted By: 2x6spds
This modest array of components made for one of the best sounding 2 channel sound systems I have ever heard.

Yeah, but you think your TV sounds fantastic and is throwing sound behind you, so what do YOU know? smile

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020