Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Stereo or Surround for Music Only Room
#32970 02/05/04 09:20 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
All,

Any comments on using matched speakers for 5.1 channel music vs. a typical HT setup (e.g. M60s/VP150/QS8s)? I have been underwhelmed listening to 2-channel music through my HT. Admittedly, my receiver doesn't have PLII and I haven't tried any DVD-A's (even in bitstream mode). My experimentation is purely 2-channel music in "normal surround" mode on my receiver.

I just haven't found the front soundstage produced by the VP150 and M60s to be as convincing as the 2-channel. Thoughts?

-------------------------------------------------
M60s, VP150 and QS8s (2)
Powered by Denon
#32971 02/05/04 10:00 PM
veteran
veteran
Whenever I am listening to a CD and switch from stereo to surround, I find that the surround modes wash the sound out and it doesn't sound as full as when in stereo. This is a function of the sound processing as a opposed to the speaker combo.

Using matched speakers is the easiest way to get a good sound from your HT system but using a combination of different brands will work as long as they are matched in sound level, power and frequency response. Personally I like the matched set.

Choosing a Subs would be the exception to this since their frequency range is outside of the rest of the system.

Exaudio ergo cogito ergo sum
#32972 02/06/04 03:17 PM
local
local
If you truly listen primarily to 5.1 channel music (not HT), and can afford the space and cost, in theory identical speakers are better. BTW that means your material would mainly be multichannel SACD, DVD-A, Digital Dolby & DTS 5.1 music.

However most people want a mix of HT and music, plus don't have a huge collection of discrete multichannel material. Also space, aesthetics and cost make QS8s better than matched M60s for surrounds.

Re soundstage of M60s/VP150 to be less convincing than 2-channel (I assume you also have QS8s in a 5.1 config), if you don't have discrete multichannel material or Dolby PLII or HK Logic 7 to reconstruct surround, you haven't yet had a valid stereo vs surround comparison.

The "surround" modes (not PLII or L7) of many receivers can sound fake and strange, and I see how stereo would sound better. In my experience using PLII to reconstruct surround from stereo is usually natural sounding and generally (but not always) contributes to the experience.

If you have a regular DVD player the best way to evaluate surround vs stereo is get a quality DVD-A music disc with a Digital Dolby 5.1 soundtrack (assuming your receiver does Digital Dolby 5.1 decoding). That way you don't have to buy a special player.

Note there are lots of poorly-mixed surround releases. There are also quality surround relases that just don't use much surround -- that's the decision of the recording engineer and artist. Popular DVD-A albums that makes good use of surround are The Eagles Hotel California, and Fleetwood Mac Rumours.

#32973 02/09/04 07:47 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
joema,

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't have PLII or Logic 7, so I have no doubt you're right that I haven't given 5.1 channel music a fair shake on my system. I think I will give a couple DVD-A's a try using the 5.1 soundtrack. I've heard that the pcm 5.1 soundtracks are often almost indistinguishable from the "real" DVD-A soundtracks. Have you found this to be the case? I don't think I'll be jumping on the SACD/DVD-A bandwagon until discrete digital connections are the norm.

Hotel California and Rumours are two of my all-time favorite albums, so I think I'll start there. Thanks!

-------------------------------------------------
M60s, VP150 and QS8s (2)