Dolby Digital+ on Netflix streaming aweful quality
#330889 12/09/10 06:20 PM
N
Nick B Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
N
It was exciting when we first got 5.1 from some of the movies and TV shows that we stream on Netflix, through the PS3. It was even more exciting that it is Dolby Digital plus. But, as it turns out, we are not getting a high bit-rate Dolby Digital plus, like on some early Blu-Ray titles. There have been articles mentioning that the only reason that the 5.1 is in Dolby Digital plus is because it is more efficient encoding that regular Dolby Digital. I'm betting that the audio bit-rate for 5.1 is even lower than what we are used to on DVD. Furthermore, I think that they are stuffing 5.1 into the same bit-rate as the stereo that we had. What results is audio that is overly compressed dynamically that sometimes almost sounds like you have a short in your cable every few minutes. I switch back to stereo and things improve slightly. At this point, the Dolby Digital Plus on Netflix is nothing more that marketing B.S. I always just choose the stereo option instead, since the 5.1 is that bad.

Re: Dolby Digital+ on Netflix streaming aweful quality
Nick B #330890 12/09/10 06:27 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Yep. DD+ is just a more efficient coding that allows for 7.1 discrete channels in the same space that held 5.1 before. Following that, you're right they can squeeze 5.1 into not much more room than 2.0.

Even on BDs, DD+ is mostly used as a back-up for the lossless codecs, or additional languages. It allows those "extra" tracks to not take up as much room as they would in the old coding. But the goal in using it in this fashion is to keep the quality the same. Only when there is no lossless track do you see the higher bitrate mode of DD+ being used.

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
ClubNeon #331109 12/10/10 09:58 PM
devotee
devotee
This is why I'm holding off of Net Flix streaming.

Visual artifacts and $hitty sound.

Hopefully they will iron out the bugs soon.

Streaming seems to be the future for subscription services. Physical media is slowly being "phased out".

(although most of the obscure stuff I'm into has not yet been made available for streaming)

"Art is making something out of nothing and selling it."
---Frank Zappa

audiosavant #331174 12/11/10 02:40 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: audiosavant

Streaming seems to be the future for subscription services. Physical media is slowly being "phased out".

(although most of the obscure stuff I'm into has not yet been made available for streaming)

I am shopping for a "downstairs" TV - and of course, I have done my homework as most of us do....SO, I already know more about the targeted tv's than the sales guys at BB and HH Gregg. I was in HH and the sales guy was trying to sell me on the internet features of the various models for just the reason you are stating. He contended - not about movies - that soon you would subscribe to your favorite channels over broadband - not just movies. I don't know how true that is but I am reasonably certain that by the time that is the case, if it is the case, that today's technology will either be obsolete or on the way out.

"A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" Churchill
audiosavant #331207 12/11/10 03:58 PM
N
Nick B Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
N
Originally Posted By: audiosavant

The sound is the only issue that I am unhappy with on the Netflix streaming. The video quality is quite good, as long as you avoid the 8pm to 10pm peak times. During those times the quality is quite bad, because everyone and their brother is streaming at that time.

Nick B #331231 12/11/10 11:05 PM
devotee
devotee
I realize that the content has to "buffer" a bit before playback?

And the video resolution is not BluRay spec yet either, is it?

Also, how about the "bonus features" that are found on most dvds?"?

My girlfriend and I are going through all of Terry Gilliam's films currently via NF and the director commentary is an essential "bonus" in our domicile.

NetFlix streaming seems to be best just for instant viewing of television shows currently. Not for the true film buff.

I guess I got some waiting to do...

---Frank Zappa

audiosavant #331233 12/11/10 11:32 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
You'll find that more and more rental versions of films, even on disc, will not have the same features as the version purchased in stores.

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
ClubNeon #331238 12/12/10 02:14 AM
devotee
devotee
I've noticed that! But NetFlix does have the good, obscure and esoteric stuff (usually foreign) from the better dvd companies like Criterion, Anchor Bay, Something Weird, Mondo Video, etc. They always have tons of extras (and great film transfers).

Now if you like mainstream crap like Transformers or those horrid Disney "products" you do usually have to suffer through lot's of trailers (of the "straight-to-video" variety) before the movie even starts. And forget about any decent "extras".

I wish Criterion did all the great American films. They do amazing work.

---Frank Zappa

audiosavant #331245 12/12/10 02:50 AM
J
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
J
No need to suffer through the trailers, just rip the movie to a new disc with out all the annoying previews wink

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #331338 12/13/10 06:04 PM
old hand
old hand
All I get when I stream is stereo, didn't know DD+ was out there yet. I use streaming for old/hard to get movies (Akira Kurosawa, etc.) I want instantly, mostly use netflix to get blu rays sent to my house that I wouldnt want to buy. What movies have DD+, I use XBOX360 to stream, must I change a setting on that I am unaware of?

M60, VP150, QS8, HSU VTF2-MK 3, Marantz SR8002, Oppo BDP-83SE, 50" Panasonic Plasma
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters