Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Fans sneak into private DMB show... goog read.
#331943 12/19/10 01:15 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Funny stuff. Dave Matthews had a private show for phillips morris co. at the dallas cowboys stadium a couple of days ago. It was a pretty secretive event (and the bass player was actually pretty pissed that he got roped into it by the other band members).

This post from antsmarching.org is worth reading. Two girls (dave fans) went undercover and pretended to be employees of the company. They got onto the charter buses that went from the hotel to the stadium and were even handed vip passes.

Good stuff!

check it out:
http://antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=298657

-David
Re: Fans sneak into private DMB show... goog read.
terzaghi #331948 12/19/10 02:09 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Thanks, Dave; that is really cool! James Bond style!

Edit-I will say that I am disappointed that they sold out to a group of corporate bigwigs (the biggest tobacco company, Philip Morris), and it's their last show of the year nonetheless. Antithetical to everything that the band should stand for, in my opinion. This is also why Stefan Lessard is ticked off.

Last edited by wheelz999; 12/19/10 02:25 AM.

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Ya_basta #331950 12/19/10 02:28 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Yup, I agree. Total sell out... But I wonder what the payout was for each band member? Maybe with them taking 2011 off the $ was a big incentive? Must have been...

-David
terzaghi #331959 12/19/10 12:39 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I can see them folding under their fans scrutiny and donating some, or all, of their money. A lot of people are pissed. Possibly it was a big payout, or maybe this shows that they don't have the final call over what the band does. 'Tis the way the music industry works.

Dave is very forthcoming and transparent, so it wouldn't surprise me if he addresses it publicly.

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Ya_basta #332219 12/22/10 05:28 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I grew up in VA and went to school in Charlottesville right around the time that DMB was getting big.

This reminds me of the private cd release party that DMB threw for some folks in C'Ville for the release of Crash. They held it at Trax, which has capacity of around 700 people. Needless to say, it was an incredible experience. I also recall that, for the price of your $15 ticket, you got a copy of the cd, admission to the show and a signed 17 X 11 lithograph of the album cover art.

They've certainly come a long way, no doubt reaping a multi-million dollar pay-day from PhilMo.

I say good for them. It's capitalism, after all. And besides, it's not like they gave up playing a free show in Central Park to do this show. It was likely this, or sitting at home doing nothing.

Re: Fans sneak into private DMB show.. gooD read.
Capn_Pickard #332221 12/22/10 05:44 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Wow, cool to hear about you being in the C'ville area around the time of the DMB birth.

You listen to any of the their stuff now-adays?

-David
terzaghi #332222 12/22/10 05:51 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I wish I was a little older and into DMB in the early 90's primarily so that I would have had the chance to join their fanclub from day 1 and get access to concert killer seats from warehouse seniority. I still hope that the day 1 fanclub member that I met online (who coincidentally is from the same town as me and graduated from OK state like me) will request some tickets for me during the 2012 shows.

It is my understanding that they played several shows at Trax nightclub. Here is a clip from DMB almanac about the venue:

"Trax is a Charlottesville, Virginia nightclub located near the University of
Virginia along West Main Street. It was founded in the early 1980s, and has
changed hands (and, consequently, names) several times since. The building
was constructed in the early 1930s and has served many purposes over the
years including a National Guard Armory, an auto shop, a boxing ring, and a
warehouse. When it changed hands in the early mid-1990s, it was briefly known
as "Crossroads." Bands of all sizes of popularity have performed at Trax
over the years, notably including 10,000 Maniacs, The Band, The Black Crowes,
Blues Traveler, George Clinton, Cracker, David Gray, G. Love and Special
Sauce, Ben Harper, Arlo Guthrie, The Neville Brothers, Phish, Public Enemy,
Red Hot Chili Peppers, Leon Redbone, Squirrel Nut Zippers and Warren Zevon.

Dave Matthews Band played there every Tuesday in the early 1990s, and it was
there that they established their popularity in Charlottesville and among UVa
students. The last show that Dave Matthews Band (at least, several members
of Dave Matthews Band) performed at Trax was their April 29th, 1996 release
concert for Crash, their second major-label release.

The venue was demolished in 2002 in order to make room for the expanding UVA hospital complex.

Interestingly enough, I stumbled across a Flac torrent of a CD that is presumed to have been recorded at Trax in 1991. Here is the text file that came with the torrent download:

Dave Matthews Band
November 27, 1991
Trax
Charlottesville Va

Source: ASBD>CD?

CD>WAV>FLAC: Mike Belkin <MJBelkin@Uwm.edu>
All songs encoded using EAC Secure Mode, All tracks
ripped had 100% quality.

Disc One:

01: Dancing Nancies * 03:53.35
02: I'll Back You Up * 03:21.12
03: The Maker * 03:40.12
04: Cry Freedom * 04:13.38
05: Song That Jane Likes * 03:03.68
SET BREAK
06: Warehouse ^ 06:12.52
07: Jimi Thing 09:03.30
08: One Sweet World (Instrumental intro) 06:05.44
09: Lover Lay Down 05:45.74
10: True Reflections 05:05.28

Disc Two:

01: Angel From Montgomery 04:10.12
02: Tripping Billies 06:05.49
03: Recently 08:14.51
04: People People 06:45.26
05: Satellite # 04:59.38
06: Exodus $ 11:36.62
07: Typical Situation @ $ 06:44.22

^ - Mostly Jibberish type lyrics, no real form to them
$ - Featuring Daryl Rhodes on Percussion
# - Earliest known recording
* - Dave Solo
@ - Extended Boyd and Leroi Intro

NOTES:
*Most of the info from this show is unkown but safely assumed. It was found in a recording
studio in Charlottesville Va by a college student recording with her college a capella group.
She asked the studio guy if she could have it and he said yes. The Original was in the form of
2 discs and were labeled with the date 11.27.1991 and they said they were recorded at Trax.
The current disc 1 was also labeled disc two and visa versa however it is obvious that they were
accidently switched or mislabeled. She gave the CDs to Marcus Graham who is responsible for helping
us get this excellent show out.

* compiled 1/29/05 by Mike Belkin <MJBelkin@uwm.edu> any problems email me.
* Thanks to Christopher Patrick Drews for the co-seed.

-David
terzaghi #332348 12/23/10 04:48 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Yeah, I'm still a pretty big Dave fan. I've got all their albums and a host of their live stuff (although it's nearly impossible to collect all of it - also, the marginal returns diminish rapidly after hearing your fifteenth live version of Watchtower).

The Dave/Tim Blu Ray is awesome, too. Definitely worth checking out.

It was definitely a cool thing to be at the epicenter of the Dave explosion. He keeps a house in C'Ville, and if you were lucky, you'd be out at the college bars and he would come in late night for a drink or two. Inevitably, the bars stayed open to accommodate him.

Capn_Pickard #332349 12/23/10 04:54 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In re: the Trax stuff.

I, indeed, remember the Tuesday nights at Trax with DMB. I didn't realize the CD release party was their last appearance there, or that the venue had since been demo'd. Sad.

I began college in 1996 (My brother attended UVA from '94 - '98, so he was the one that turned me on to him), and another band - Agents of Good Roots - took over their Tuesday night slot. Sadly, Agents of Good Roots - a phenomenal fusion/roots band - sold out with their first major label record and never recaptured their early popularity with the kids. They've since disbanded.

On an interesting side-note, the band I was in in college played Trax a couple of times. It was a very cool place to play. But it was strange to play to so few people, who cared more about their beers than the music. I much preferred frat parties, where the band was definitely the center of attention (after the girls and the kegs). Throngs of college co-eds singing along to the cover songs we played is an experience I won't soon forget.

Capn_Pickard #332350 12/23/10 04:57 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Last note - I loved those early Dave recordings with the "jibberish" lyrics. It was like a peek into his song writing process. I was always amazed that he would basically write his songs on stage, singing jibberish lyrics until something materialized over the course of weeks or months of playing the stuff live. It made for some great early music that was so organic and natural. His more recent stuff, which is largely written in studio, with the help of producers, has a different, wider market feel to it. Not necessarily better or worse, just different.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters