Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Finally puchased the QS8s
jakewash #332366 12/23/10 06:15 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Higher crossover settings by Audyssey may be more common on surrounds than we think...it set mine at 150hz.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Adrian #332371 12/23/10 06:55 PM
P
local
local
P
They will replace the bad drive no question about that, but i understand this is really annoying that you have to wait until the new one arrive.

Nad C356 DAC & C515
Axiom M3v3
Grant Fidelity RPF-120 MKII
Analysis Plus Black Oval 12&10
JRiver 19
Philippe #332386 12/23/10 09:18 PM
J
shareholder in the making
J
The surround settings do seem to be higher with speakers mounted in 'open air' stands, opppsed to near/on the wall mountings. Mine are picked up and set at 80hz, my VP150 gets set to 60hz smile . I really don't hear much of a difference with it set to 60 or 80 so I leave it at 60.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #332465 12/24/10 07:29 PM
M
local
local
M
Originally Posted By: jakewash
I'm hungry let's go.

hehehe!

- Majik

Epic 80 system
Ep 800
Denon 3808
Optoma HD20
PS3
vp180
extra QS8s (to come soon)
majik #332466 12/24/10 07:35 PM
M
local
local
M
Did you (or anyone here) have the v2 of the Q8s? Is there significant difference in sound quality? (I looked it up on the "what's new at axiom" - v3 thread to find the answer, and went through approx. 20pages before giving up... so I apologize if this has been addressed before - which I'm sure it has been).

- Majik

Epic 80 system
Ep 800
Denon 3808
Optoma HD20
PS3
vp180
majik #332468 12/24/10 07:45 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: majik
Did you (or anyone here) have the v2 of the Q8s? Is there significant difference in sound quality? (I looked it up on the "what's new at axiom" - v3 thread to find the answer, and went through approx. 20pages before giving up... so I apologize if this has been addressed before - which I'm sure it has been).

I’m not sure if anyone on this forum has commented on any difference but Axiom put this review in it’s last newsletter where the reviewer says there is.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/home-thea...ew.html?start=3

Originally Posted By: review

The new QS8s were a surprise too. I didn’t expect a very noticeable change from my old QS8s but I clearly heard a difference. The new quadrants had much more presence and a larger sound field. They made my v2s seem polite by comparison. And yes, I did take the time to level-match the new speakers with the old.

I did an A/B comparison using v2 vs v3 as surrounds and couldn’t tell any difference FWIW.

However, I have found one difference. When I knock over one of the new ones the magnetic grill just falls off rather than the mounting pegs breaking off which has happened to me a couple times.

Last edited by grunt; 12/24/10 07:48 PM.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
grunt #332483 12/24/10 09:07 PM
M
local
local
M
Thanks! I was wondering because I have a set of v2s and I'm getting another set for the 7.1 (although with 800 I would have to say it's more 7.2 no??? hey, 2 woofers... = 2 subs to me! that's my story and I'm sticking to it! wink

I won't bother going with the v3s when I can get the 8s under $400! (won them on the auction page). I can forget about the upgrade and rest easy now.

ahhhhh... gotta love those axioms!!

Has anyone ever had anything bad to say about any axiom speaker performance??? I haven't come across any yet... and that's a good sign!

Last edited by majik; 12/24/10 09:08 PM.

- Majik

Epic 80 system
Ep 800
Denon 3808
Optoma HD20
PS3
vp180
majik #332552 12/26/10 05:00 PM
J
J
If there is anything bad said about Axiom speakers it would be due to a personl sound preference not due to quality of sound; ie. I don't like the M3 but it is not due to them being a poor speaker, it is just because they are voiced differently.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #333593 01/06/11 02:56 AM
bdpf Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
OK, so quick update:
-Good news: I got my replacement driver and it works fine.
-Bad news: while replacing it, I noticed that 2 of the screws required no force to be removed, I could screw or unscrew them just by hand. It turned out that they had been screwed sideways into the MDF towards the cut out for the speaker so there was barely nothing holding them. Of course, since there was no force that could be applied to tie them, the driver doesn't hold properly against the body of the cabinet. On top of that it's the bottom driver so it could get worst over time. Of course I contacted Axiom and after a couple of days they replied that they will ship a new QS8.

First of all, I would like to say that I think Axiom is a great company that makes great speakers. I love the sound of all my Axioms and their customer service is so far the best I’ve ever seen. The only negative that I see within the whole company is the quality control / quality assurance, there is definitely a problem there and here is why:

- I first bought my M80s in January 2010, I loved them since the first time I heard them and never had any problem.

- Then I bought the VP180 in June. Great center speaker. However, like many other at the time, I was surprised with the new look of the drivers. Since I keep my grills off, I contacted Axiom to see if all my parts were V3s. I got an email from Axiom saying that yes. So in order to have my speakers to look the same, I purchased the 8 all-aluminum drivers to replace on the M80s and that’s when the problems started.

- From the 8 drivers that I received, 5 had their cone either badly scratched or dented. Axiom was great and shipped a quick replacement.

- A few weeks later I realized that one of the 6.5’ woofers was making some rattling noise at some frequency. Again, Axiom sent me a replacement.

- A couple of weeks ago, I purchased the QS8s. Right away upon first listening, something is wrong, one of the woofers makes this awful grizzling noise at all frequencies. Once Again I need to contact Axiom and once again there is no trouble in getting a replacement.

- So then I go to replace the bad driver and I noticed this screw problem. This could have been easily caught by the person responsible for assembling the speaker since you're trying to tie a screw and nothing gets tied !?!

So now, I think that Axiom, like so many ID companies offers great value for the money. However I am building my system one step at the time because, relatively speaking, it’s not cheap and it takes time and hard work for me to save for it. I think that with this price tag should come great sound and great customer service which Axiom definitely has but also great reliability and a great final product problem free. I should be able to get a product with no defect.

So, would I ever recommend Axiom to friends as a great product for the money? Certainly as I already have a few times. Can I tell my friends that they will receive a product with no mistakes and working flawlessly? Unfortunately I can’t because my experience has been far from being headache free. It’s just too many problems with so few purchases. So either I am extremely unlucky or something should be improved in QC/QA.

Now about the QS8s:
I don't know if it's is because it's my first HT or just simply because they are amazing but I really loves them. Their position is far from ideal since they are on my back wall but they are doing a wonderful job at making you feel like you are there.
I listened to some CDs in PLII and NEO6 and really like the ambiance created even though for some reason, in NEO6 it sounds like there is to much echo, I'm not sure if it's the algorithm or my settings. I particularly enjoy 5 CH stereo.
Concerts (DVD and Blu): the concerts that I heard had mostly the crowd mixed in the rears which gives a good feeling about being there. The exception was the Eagles, Hell freezes over, where there even the instruments are mixed in the surrounds. Not lossless but excellent DTS 5.1 mix BTW.
For me, where the QS8s really shine is for movies. It's a completely different experience. Somebody said on another thread that one doesn't have a HT until he has surround and he was darn right. A few good scenes that I've found so far:
- The Matrix: lobby scene and when Neo dodges the bullets in slow motion (priceless)
- The Matrix Reloaded: the car chase
- Star wars phantom menace: the pod race is spectacular but there is constant surround throughout the whole movie
- Daredevil: when he wakes up in the hospital and discover the super sense.
- Wanted: good surround mix thru the whole movie.

My only problem now is that I find myself paying to much attention to what is in the surround and actually lose some of the enjoyment of watching a movie just to watch a movie laugh. I am sure that will go away once the excitement starts to fade cry

In conclusion, I really like the QS8s, really recommend them, and I hope to receive my replacement soon and hopefully there will be no problem this time.

Bruno
M80s/VP180/QS8s/EP600/AVR-890
------------------------------------
"The problem is choice..."
bdpf #333594 01/06/11 03:21 AM
axiomite
axiomite
There would appear to be some QC tightening necessary by the looks of it. I've not had any problems with any of my Ax's but I'd certainly be frustrated with any of these problems if they happened to me.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters