Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: The Day The Music Died Or Why New Music Sucks!
MarkSJohnson #332212 12/22/10 03:51 PM
axiomite
axiomite
One of the heights of musicdom, I think is around the era when the Beach Boys came out with "Good Vibrations". I can remember actually wanting to listen to the radio back in those days. Today, I just scan the channels, about once every 3 weeks to see if there's anything that I want to listen to. Normally nada.

CatBrat #332220 12/22/10 05:32 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Just the fact that Justin Bieber won several American Music Awards is enough to know that music (at least pop music) is LOT about marketing than talent nowadays. I cannot comprehend how this kid got so popular...and to think some girls out there want to have his child. Shit, he looks 12 years old! That is SO wrong! Can you tell I'm a huge fan?! grin

M60s
VP150
QS8s
Marantz SR6003
Samsung LN52B550
Oppo DV-980H
Insignia NS-WBRDVD
sonicfox #332225 12/22/10 06:15 PM
axiomite
axiomite
That's why I call you the Fox That Rocks the Cradle.

Hey, at least it's better than SonicFoxNews!

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
medic8r #332351 12/23/10 05:12 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Great post!

I think we've got a weird current trend in music - homogeny.

But just underneath all that homogeny lies an interesting contradiction. There is more music out there than ever before, in more flavors, variations and styles than ever before. But all that volume creates its own problems. There is simply too much noise for new styles to emerge. Instead, what rises to the surface is the stuff that sounds like all the other stuff, and homogeny - sameness - prevails.

We are also in an interesting time of cross-over hits. Carrie Underwood comes to mind - although she wasn't the country pioneer who transformed country music into modern pop music - that honor, I think, goes to Shania Twain. Now, I'm no country fan, so this pop music is largely lost on me.

If you listen to modern R&B music, it sounds an awful lot like the electronica that prevailed in the '80s - lots of synthesized sounds and computer created beats.

On the whole, I don't think that music died. I think it spawned too many children, none of whom have much identity. But it's there if you search it out.

Capn_Pickard #332354 12/23/10 05:26 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: Capn_Pickard
I think it spawned too many children, none of whom have much identity.

Inbreeding?

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Capn_Pickard #332355 12/23/10 05:27 PM
shareholder in the making
I think it spawned too many children......

[South Park] You Bastards! [/South Park}

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Capn_Pickard #332393 12/23/10 10:03 PM
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
I think we've got a weird current trend in music - homogeny.

Aesthetic conservatism and conformity are "in" it seems now. Lots of apathy and short attention spans. Everyone is being deluged by technology and a corporate-media created "celebrity culture"... Reality show losers are our new "stars".

Why else would the "Situation" and "Snooki" be famous? frown

So.. it's more like a weird trend in all popular "culture"!

There is more music out there than ever before, in more flavors, variations and styles than ever before...

I know! You would think that we would be in a golden musical era right now. I'm hoping for some kind of musical renaissance in this upcoming decade (can you even believe the last 10 years?). Hell, I'm hoping for a renaissance in all the arts! The things I wrote above about rock/pop music can be applied (with various changes/alterations) to almost all the things I love. Movies mostly suck now. CGI is the auto-tune of movies. Television is beyond shallow. Nothing that's being "produced" by "artists" (even the good stuff) is recognized or lauded because of the dumbing down of the masses (I'm mainly talking about America, since that's where my parents had sex and where I was born). There is no longer a valid outlet for the dissemination of these great works of "art" or even a community/culture to support the growth and development of said "art". Attention spans are just too short nowadays. People have become post-literate and are way too "busy" with electronic diversions that are the equivalent of solipsistic onanism for the mind. Where's the soul? Nothing seems to "connect" on an emotional or visceral level. Why is that? Why are the majority of young people content with this situation? Are they so brainwashed by corporate propaganda that they think that this is the golden age? Reality just does not support that view at all. Just look around you!

But all that volume creates its own problems. There is simply too much noise for new styles to emerge.

Exactly. Now the signal is the noise! grin

Instead, what rises to the surface is the stuff that sounds like all the other stuff, and homogeny - sameness - prevails.

A consolidated media that promotes this stuff is a huge part of the problem. For all of the supposed freedom, diversity and choices we have, it's really hard for the average person to sift through all the mediocre garbage and find the gems that are probably being lost in all this "noise".

On the whole, I don't think that music died. I think it spawned too many children, none of whom have much identity.

Yes my good Captain, music will never die. It's part of the human expression of the soul.

And as Frank said, jazz is not dead, it just smells funny... wink

"Art is making something out of nothing and selling it."
---Frank Zappa

medic8r #332398 12/23/10 10:38 PM
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
Originally Posted By: medic8r
Mark, if I recall your age correctly, I think you and Terry are within a year or two of each other in age.

I just realized something... that with medic8r's skill and training to analyze all of us through our rants/ramblings/posts, he can just consult his handy DSM and peg all of our psychological issues!!! blush

I'm probably some kind of narcissist borderline personality disorder with anti-social and obsessive/compulsive tendencies that include sexual disorders not otherwise specified...

And yet, medic8r still refuses to write me a prescription for some good meds! He just suggest that I be given large amounts of Thorazine and be put in restraints!

So be careful posting on here my dear Axiomites, because to the good doctor; all of our musings are probably as revealing as a Rorschach test...

"Art is making something out of nothing and selling it."
---Frank Zappa

audiosavant #332399 12/23/10 10:40 PM
That's why I lie in all of my posts. I'm actually a 14 year old girl.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
audiosavant #332400 12/23/10 10:46 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: audiosavant

Aesthetic conservatism and conformity are "in" it seems now.

Regarding music genres and conformity. I've always got a good laugh out of people that consider themselves a punk. They tend to live in a delusion that they are different, when really they are at the highest level of conformity because they're being hypocritical. It's the same thing with hippies.

Everyone should just be themselves.

Terry, I very much enjoyed every word of your essay smile. I do believe that it goes deeper, thanks to Edward Bernays, but that's a whole other topic in itself.

Something that you may find interesting, is this video, which is some guys interpretation of the meaning of the song "Hook" by Blues Traveler. He makes a very strong case for the true meaning of the song. Anyway, here it is.

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters