Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 15 16
Help choosing an in-wall component rack/shelf.
#333228 01/02/11 09:08 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Hey guys,

I would like to have a component rack/shelf on the back wall of my entertainment room, just to the right of my laundry room door (essentially where the director's chair is).

Basically what it boils down to is cost because I do have other projects pending (by stairs etc.). So with that in mind, could you guys give me some suggestions on what I can get for a cabinet and how much it would cost.

-I would like something that has a glass door on it, which allows the components to be visible.

-Because the back of the cabinet will just be in the laundry room, I don't care if it's closed off (I'd actually prefer it if it wasn't as it would help with ventilation and ease of access).

-I also don't know what to look for when considering cabinet dimensions. If I look for something to house my components that I have now, how easy is it to expand on them later when adding new electronics? I postulate that it's a good idea to buy a larger cabinet than is currently needed?

Is there anything else that needs to be considered? I do like the manufactured metal component shelving units, as I want it to be a nice clean look, but I only know of two manufacturers. As mentioned, cost is first and foremost, and to throw around a budget I had in mind, I didn't know if it could be done for 300-400 dollars.

Thanks again for any input, it's greatly appreciated.

Cam

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Re: Help choosing an in-wall component rack/shelf.
Ya_basta #333245 01/03/11 12:25 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Cam have you considered boxing in the area immediately under the low-slung ceiling out to the post? That to me looks as if it may be prime real estate to build a component cabinet, especially if you have back access. I used 3/4" MDF for shelves with heavy duty slide rails but with the rear access I don't see the need for the slider rails in your case. Most all components are 17" wide, looks like you have plenty of room width-wise.

I'm thinking 300-400 bucks will probably fall well within budget.

Here's a couple of pics of our room, I believe you could do darn near the same.

Rick
Our Room

smile
RickF #333247 01/03/11 01:02 AM
H
aficionado
aficionado
H
If DIY is not your cup of tea, you can always get a Sanus rack CFA56 or CFR127. Both have adjustable shelves and glass doors.

Also, if I were to build a new home theater, I would probably install one of these bad boys. The swivel-rack looks pretty nice!
http://www.avrak.com/avtrak.html

--
Denon 4520, EPIC80/500/VP180 Speakers
RickF #333248 01/03/11 01:19 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: RickF
Cam have you considered boxing in the area immediately under the low-slung ceiling out to the post? That to me looks as if it may be prime real estate to build a component cabinet, especially if you have back access. I used 3/4" MDF for shelves with heavy duty slide rails but with the rear access I don't see the need for the slider rails in your case. Most all components are 17" wide, looks like you have plenty of room width-wise.

I'm thinking 300-400 bucks will probably fall well within budget.

Rick, thanks for the reply. I've seen pictures of your room before, and really do like that cabinet. Building a cabinet like yours looks like it's the way to go, as racks from Middle Atlantic etc. seem to be quite expensive.

Installing the cabinet below the bulkhead, as you suggested, would work out really well, but I plan on building a bar along that back wall (basically extending from that post to the other side of the room, then curving to meet the wall. The bar would be in an L shape, if that helps.), so the cabinet would be behind it and I wouldn't be able to access it, which is why I want the cabinet right beside the door.

How did you frame the cabinet behind the wall to carry the load? I've read on other forums that a header might be required, but have seen pictures where people have framed DIY cabinets in 2X4. Also, how would the side rails be mounted? I presume that the back of the cabinet would have to have sides to it, thus screwing the side rails to it? Actually, now that I think of it, the cabinet would need a back on it so you can't see straight through into the laundry room.

What did you do for ventilation? I'm thinking that ventilation slots could be cut out of the sides at the back of the cabinet (assuming sides are necessary to hold the side rails), then I could just use a thin black material on the back, thus blocking the view into the laundry room from the front of the cabinet, but allowing for more air flow than a wooden door would.

Any thoughts? I'm not a cabinetmaker or handyperson by any means, so excuse my uneducated questions about framing the back of the cabinet smile.

Thanks again.

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Hansang #333250 01/03/11 01:26 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: Hansang

Also, if I were to build a new home theater, I would probably install one of these bad boys. The swivel-rack looks pretty nice!
http://www.avrak.com/avtrak.html

Thanks for the link. I checked those out earlier, and they do look sweet. I would rather have a manufactured cabinet because I like the look, but as aforementioned, I don't think my budget allows for it.

Ya_basta #333256 01/03/11 02:37 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Was just looking through a thread on AVS, and someone else posted about building a cabinet that backs into the furnace room. Something I never thought about, that they mentioned, was the noise from the furnace. My laundry room emits more noise than most because I don't only have my furnace running, but I also have a HRV and whole home HEPA filtration system running. The back of the cabinet will definitely have to be closed off entirely.

Errrrr, now I'm thinking this may not work frown .

Ya_basta #333258 01/03/11 02:52 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
That's beautiful. What is all that nice looking gear you have there? Looks like an HK receiver, are those Sony mega changers down on the bottom shelves, or some honker amps?

Anyway, nice set up.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
2x6spds #333283 01/03/11 12:28 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Cam our cabinet is framed 2x4s with drywall on the exterior and 3/4" MDF for the interior sides, back and shelves. The rear wall of the cabinet is actually what was originally the cinderblock exterior of the house and it doesn't have any openings going into the other room at all, the ventilation consist of a 2" wide slot which runs the width of the upper rear of the cabinet interior that vents into the attic and a couple of PC fans on top of the amp and AVR which works very well.

The cabinet was actually measured and built for a Middle Atlantic rack and the sliding drawers was originally going to be a temporary solution but almost six years later I still haven't taken the plunge to unload the four grand on the rack and will probably have the temporary shelves in place for a while longer. The slide rails are heavy duty cabinet rails from Home Depot and they have locks that enable you to take the shelves completely out, are easy to install, will hold a boatload of weight and slide very easily. To install the slide rails you just measure and level the two rails for a shelf and screw the rails to the side wall of the cabinet, because of the sliding capability they are not attached to the back wall at all and on my particular application there is about six or seven inches between the back of the shelves and the rear wall of the cabinet for cabling and ventilation.

Can you build a rack into the laundry area with just a nicely trimmed wall opening next to the door Cam or would that intrude too much into the laundry area? If you can, that would be an EZPZ build and having access to the rear of the components like that would be ideal, a first consideration if I were to build another cabinet. Also you can do something as simple as using velro to attach a 1/8" thick smoothed finished wood panel to cover the back of the cabinet going into the laundry area for a quick and easy access to the components.

That Avtrac is another rack I looked at a while back, it's a neat setup.

Thanks 2x6, yep an old H/K with the Sony MegaChangers ... which needs a serious update.

Rick
Our Room

smile
RickF #333290 01/03/11 03:01 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Thanks for all of that info, Rick; it's greatly appreciated.

Regarding the following quote-

Originally Posted By: RickF
Can you build a rack into the laundry area with just a nicely trimmed wall opening next to the door Cam or would that intrude too much into the laundry area? If you can, that would be an EZPZ build and having access to the rear of the components like that would be ideal, a first consideration if I were to build another cabinet. Also you can do something as simple as using velro to attach a 1/8" thick smoothed finished wood panel to cover the back of the cabinet going into the laundry area for a quick and easy access to the components.

Do you mean building a cabinet that would be hidden inside the laundry room, basically framed behind the wall where the director's chair is in the picture? If so, that would work out, as there is enough room in the laundry room. Basically, behind that back wall is my furnace, but it is a good 3-4' from the wall.

Ya_basta #333291 01/03/11 04:02 PM
axiomite
axiomite
That's what I'd do Cam if it didn't interfere with the proposed bar (great idea BTW!), I think Dave (dllewel) has a cabinet similar although I can't find pictures of his HT on his site anywhere and Randy's PorterPlex v1 also incorporates the same type cabinet I'm referring to ... PoterPlex v1. You know if Randy can build one, anybody can. grin laugh

There's a mod over on the Rotel site who has a nice in-wall cabinet and if I remember it also backs into a laundry area with a lot of room to navigate the cabling and connects. Here's a shot of his cabinet ... The Dude's cabinet. I like the way he did his and I also believe it's a Middle Atlantic rack.

Unless you have support beams embedded in the wall, which I doubt since you have that telepost thing holding up your house, building a cabinet like these would be an easy chore and can probably be accomplished for a lot less then your $400 cap budget.

Rick
Our Room

smile
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 15 16

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616