Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 16 1 2 3 4 15 16
Re: Help choosing an in-wall component rack/shelf.
RickF #333294 01/03/11 04:39 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Oh, I see what you mean. Both Randy's, and the other cabinet that you linked to, is what I originally meant. Having the front of the cabinet flush mounted and trimmed on that back wall, with the sides and back of the cabinet (components etc.) backing into the laundry room. Is that what you mean?

In your previous post, I thought you meant building the entire cabinet in the laundry room behind that wall, and only having access from inside the laundry room, thus not touching the back wall at all.

I'm afraid that noise from my HVAC system will emit into the entertainment room if the front of the cabinet is facing into the room.

I also like the Middle Atlantic cabinet, but I've done some research on their Slim 5 model which would work nicely and isn't too expensive (although still more than my budget), but apparently it's the accessories like shelving etc. that really run the price up.

Sorry for the confusion.

So yeah, I like the cabinet that Randy has built, but I think noise from everything in the laundry room will be an issue. Any thoughts?

If you agree that it will be an issue, the only other option I have is building a cabinet that's completely inside the laundry room.

Thanks again for the help.

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Ya_basta #333295 01/03/11 05:09 PM
S
aficionado
aficionado
S
Check these guys out, they have a shelving unit that's regular 500$ going for 99$

http://www.soundsaround.com/

Check furniture

Last edited by SBrown; 01/03/11 05:15 PM.
RickF #333298 01/03/11 05:38 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Yes, but where's the karaoke machine?

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
2x6spds #333302 01/03/11 06:05 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Cam, I would be thinking that a hinged glass door on the front, and some hinged, insulated door on the rear would do OK for keeping noise out.... though I have no idea how loud your mechanics are....

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
SBrown #333306 01/03/11 06:59 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: SBrown
Check these guys out, they have a shelving unit that's regular 500$ going for 99$

http://www.soundsaround.com/

Check furniture

Thank you very much for the link, but unfortunately that unit won't suit my needs.

Mark, when everything aforementioned is running (only in the wintertime consistently), you can hear them in my entertainment room, but only if the volume is really low. Your suggestion would probably be just as good at isolating the noise, if not better, than the single wall of drywall between the two rooms currently.

Although I would much prefer the look of a Middle Atlantic cabinet (or a similar clean look), I just thought that I could use the top two shelving sections (in picture) of the cabinets that used to house my electronics (if the ceiling permits). One cabinet wouldn't be enough room, so I would have to stack one on top of the other.

This is a last resort suggestion of course. More cabinet suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, guys.

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Ya_basta #333310 01/03/11 07:05 PM
axiomite
axiomite
You need to lighten up on the partying Cam. You have stuff falling out of your ceiling.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #333329 01/03/11 09:06 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
LOL Fred. It's actually a spot light for the stripper pole :-) .

Ya_basta #333344 01/03/11 09:52 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Cam I was actually thinking about extending out from your wall and boxing in a cabinet in my initial reply but after you mentioned that because of the proposed bar that wasn't an option then I threw out the idea of the in-wall cabinet like you were apparently thinking of originally.

I'm with Mark regarding the sound being contained fairly easily and not spilling out to the HT area, if you have adequate ventilation somewhere in the upper back of the cabinet a glass door as he suggested should help to knock down a lot of the noise ... along with a little tweaking on the backside.

You know a while back I threw out the notion to my wife about maybe installing a stripper pole in the bedroom (just for kicks and giggles smile ) but apparently she wasn't too keen on the idea because the placement where I had in mind wasn't anywhere near the place where she said it should have been stuck. eek

Rick
Our Room

smile
RickF #333345 01/03/11 09:58 PM
M
aficionado
aficionado
M
Quote:
wasn't anywhere near the place where she said it should have been stuck.

Somewhere the sun don't shine in Florida, I bet! grin

M80's(2), VP150, QS8's(2), M3's(4)
merchman #333352 01/04/11 12:24 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
One of the DIY threads on AVS has quite a few examples of homemade in wall cabinets. I particularly like this one.

Stupid question-are the rack rails the two long black pieces that run vertically along the edge of the cabinet? And the brackets are obviously what support the shelves, and they latch into the rail on each side?

In his construction, he's screwed the rack rails into the wall, and I would assume into studs. So basically I would have to frame two studs vertically 20" apart (the drywall would be cut out 20 "wide as well), then screw the rack rails to the backs of the 2X4's. And, when making the shelves, they'll have to be cut to account for the 2X4's so they extend to the front of the cabinet.

Do I have the right idea? Am I missing anything?

Thanks again.

Page 2 of 16 1 2 3 4 15 16

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters