Music Room Decision...for now
#33332 02/08/04 01:41 PM
E
EAR Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
E
Hi, These music room conversations have been very helpful to me, and I'd like to share what I've, at least for the moment, have decided to do. Axiom, and you guys, have convinced me that there is a very good chance that the only real advantage in buying a multi-thousand buck semi-exotic speaker over the 80ti's would be lovely wood cabinets. So here's the plan......

When the Arcam AVR-300 is available, I'll get one and order a set of M80ti's and a VP150 center (I'm going to attempt to attach a photo showing why 3 M80's won't work. I've got about a 3'x4' 'box' flanking the fireplace on each side in which I can position the speakers to tweak the sound). I'll bi-amp the speakers using a spare channel on the receiver- it's designed for this, which will give me about 120/channel for both the uppers and the base (total about 240 w/ch). My plan for a CD player is to use it for transport only, and bring the digital signal into the Arcam which has Wolfson DAC's and should be adequate for the job.

When the electronics and the speakers are broken in, I'll bring my Cambridge Soundworks Towers down, and spend a rather fun weekend doing a 'face off'. The winners will stay downstairs in the music room, the 'losers' will go up to anchor my Home Theater (powered by the Yamaha VX-R24000 in a 7.1 configuration).

At that point, I'll revisit getting an identical pair for the rear surrounds, as Alan suggested. I would probably pick up a two channel amp and bi-amp them also. Given that I would then have 4 x 120watts driving the woofers alone, I would have to see if I needed a sub or not, so I'd make that decision at that time.

..hmmmmm, I didn't see how to post a picture, so if someone would like to clue me in, I'd be happy to do so- the speakers will be flanking a fireplace with the center on a mantel above it.

Re: Music Room Decision...for now
#33333 02/08/04 06:59 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Here ya go.

http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/faq_english.php?Cat=#image

I got to this page by clicking on the "FAQ" link in the horizontal menu just above the posts on each page. If you haven't done so, you should take a little time and browse through the FAQ. It answers a lot of questions

If you don't have your own web page on which you can host your photos, one of the kind fellows here on the Axion forum (forgive me for not remembering your name), turned me on to a free photo hosting service. That's where I have my avatar (my gramophone gif) hosted. You can post your pictures there and link to them here at the forum.

http://photobucket.com

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#33334 02/08/04 08:27 PM
E
EAR Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
E
Thanks, Ajax,

I don't have easy access to a web server, so it hardly seems worthwhile for a simple picture of a fireplace- when it finally happens, and if it looks worth sharing, I'll get the album and post the link.

#33335 02/08/04 08:30 PM
hobbyist
hobbyist
I've got plenty of webserver space. If you think the pic is worth sharing, email it to me and I'll email you back a link to the picture.

ubernatural@shaw.ca

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters