Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 15 16
Re: Help choosing an in-wall component rack/shelf.
Ya_basta #333386 01/04/11 03:29 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Rick, thank you very much for the help. I didn't mean to come across like I was dropping your suggestions when I referred to the rack design on AVS. Your suggestion is pretty much the same, if not identical to what he's done.

Assuming that I have all the framing and everything down, I just have to buy rack rails similar to these , and the adjustable bracket similar to these .

All in all, it looks like my friend and I could build the entire cabinet ourselves. Hopefully we'll get around to it this winter (he is a landscaper, so he's off this time of year).

Thanks again for all of the help.

Cam

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Ya_basta #333388 01/04/11 03:58 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Yea no problem Cam, I just didn't realize you were adding a built-in bar at first and I did a switch up on ideas from the 'outie' cabinet to the in-wall deal. Man that cabinet in the second set of pics on that AVS thread is a killer setup and those self made faceplates are just bad ass to the bone, although I probably would have used allen head screws like Axiom uses on their speakers instead of the phillips head screws he used. That is a very simplistic cabinet with a lot of style and probably not much money invested. In your case I'd certainly be looking at a very similar design.

But yea, those brackets and rails are what you need to be looking at but just make sure to get both rails and shelf brackets strong enough to carry the load of your equipment, there's really no need to order that stuff online because I'm quite sure you'll be able find 'em at most home improvement stores. I really don't think you guys will have any problems building that cabinet, just try to make your drywall cutouts as close tolerance to your measurements as feasibly possible so that trim pieces can cover any blemishes because drywall finish work can be a royal pain in the neck and could turn out looking like Fido's ass if not finished correctly, thank god for trim!

I'm thinking a couple or three days maybe.

Depending on the beers. grin

Rick
Our Room

smile
RickF #333446 01/04/11 09:42 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I just got off the phone with my friend who's a certified electrician, and I inquired about him hooking up two separate 20 amp outlets in the laundry room. Before calling him, I had a feeling that running the electrical was the drawing card, and he confirmed that he doesn't know if it can be done because the fuse panel is at the other end of the house frown .

I should have thought about the electrical first, because this really puts a damper on things, as I talked to my best friend today about building the cabinet, and he said we could get to it next week or the week after.

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Ya_basta #333454 01/04/11 11:53 PM
J
shareholder in the making
J
Anythng can be done; just depends on how much more renovating you are willing to do. I am sure you said you wanted a new look for the rest of the house too wink

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #333457 01/05/11 12:46 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Cam I'm with Jason ... build and fine tune that cabinet to your liking and somebody, somehow will find a way to get the electric to the cabinet. smile

And...

Although I am far from an electrician and certainly wouldn't attempt any major household electrical work on my own I feel that it shouldn't be that big of a deal to get a dedicated 20 amp circuit to a cabinet that's sitting in a laundry room with both 220 and 110v circuits.

Build Forrest build!

Rick
Our Room

smile
Ya_basta #333459 01/05/11 01:02 AM
hobbyist
hobbyist
Originally Posted By: wheelz999
One of the DIY threads on AVS has quite a few examples of homemade in wall cabinets. I particularly like this one.

Cam,

FYI - I built my HT rack from the same AVS posting about a year ago (a fun project). You can see some photos here... my gallery page

Any questions feel free to ask.

Bob

RickF #333460 01/05/11 01:04 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I know what you guys are saying, but I just finished overhauling and renovating the entertainment room, and really don't want to cut a hole in the drywall.

I can really only run wire inside the bulkhead in the basement ceiling because the floor joists run across the room.

Just thought (I'm sure my friend would know)- is there such a thing as running insulated/protected electrical wire along the outside of the house between the house brick, like they do with coaxial cable? I highly doubt it as it doesn't sound like it would be very safe, but it just popped into my head.

Ya_basta #333492 01/05/11 10:51 AM
J
J
You should be able to run the wire through a conduit on the outside of the house. I think you might need to dig it in the ground 2' though.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #333501 01/05/11 02:53 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Yeah, I thought of that Jay, but I was hoping for a cheaper alternative smile. And running it underground would also require waiting until the the spring when the frost is gone.

Thanks for the input though, bud.

Ya_basta #333502 01/05/11 03:09 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Interesting. I just came across EMT (Electrical Metallic Tubing), which can be used outside and exposed to the elements. It seems to be an option, as I could run it along the outside of my house, from the back of my fuse panel, to the laundry room.

Page 3 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 15 16

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (BBIBH), 580 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup