Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 39 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 38 39
Re: Fitness Thread
Mojo #204029 04/12/08 09:23 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
@ mojo - training with injures is generally a bad idea unless you are very experienced and know your body well, or are training under the guidance of a doctor or exercise physiologist who can advise you. Training cardio daily is fine as long as it’s not to intense for your fitness level.

I’m going to have to play the devils advocate to the creatine suggestions. Most people will realize little to no benefit from supplementing creatine because they are not pushing their muscles to their anaerobic limit every workout. Nor should they as this is advanced training that most professional athletes only use sparingly by cycling their workouts.

Going to temporary muscular failure on every set is a good way to hurt oneself and the efficacy of this training as a best practice is mixed at best. If someone finds it works best for them then stick with it, but advocating it as a routine practice to others without caveat is dangerous.

Evidence does indicate creatine helps with maximal anaerobic effort and when properly hydrated causes water retention but that’s about it. Limited research indicates it might help increase the lactate threshold by buffering lactic acid but this isn’t conclusive. Also, most people exercising just to loose weight aren’t likely to be doing enough work at or above their lactate threshold to see much benefit anyway.

I’m not suggesting people don’t supplement creatine only that they understand what it does and how to use it before putting it into their bodies. Also long term effects of creatine supplementation are still unknown.

If they already eat a healthy diet and get enough sleep then about the only thing most people who exercise need to supplement is water. Those who are working out at their anaerobic limit will likely see some benefit from proper creatine supplementation. Anyone involved in intense exercise anaerobic or aerobic will likely see some performance benefits from caffeine, however most people probably get to much of this already. Anything else likely to significantly enhance performance is illegal and/or dangerous.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
grunt #204034 04/12/08 10:02 PM
J
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
J
Mojo, you can also try L-glutamine in the recovery shake, when I was training for my half marathon I used it and felt I recovered a little faster. You need to take the runs outside now, the wind resisitance and hills out in nature are the best.

I will add to drink lots more water if you decide to supplement with creatine for the reasons grunt stated, water retention, etc.

I think for most of us around that 40yr old mark and I will guess most of us are not competing in anything any more, that just eating right and doing what we can to stay fit is all we really need to do.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #204037 04/12/08 10:30 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Quote:
If they already eat a healthy diet and get enough sleep then about the only thing most people who exercise need to supplement is water.

I'll wholeheartedly agree there, but Imo the problem is most of us don't have the time or the knowledge to always stay within a properly balanced nutritional plan.

I know that BCAAs such as valine, leucine and isoleucine have been proven to reduce post exercise muscle damage, what better and easier way to insure I'm getting at least enough through supplements or vitamins.

Whey protein with some fruit added is an easy low fat and low calorie way for me to have pre and post workout snacks, and get many of my much needed amino acids.

Eating real food with some supplementation I can assure myself I'm getting most of what my body needs, and that makes planning healthy meals and watching caloric intake an easier task.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
HomeDad #204046 04/13/08 12:44 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: HomeDad

Whey protein with some fruit added is an easy low fat and low calorie way for me to have pre and post workout snacks, and get many of my much needed amino acids.

Eating real food with some supplementation I can assure myself I'm getting most of what my body needs, and that makes planning healthy meals and watching caloric intake an easier task.

Sounds like you have a good fitness plan going and no doubt various forms of supplementation are likely going to be effective for you and other people with very active lifestyles. I’m not trying to trash supplements or promote some form of dietary naturalism, I was only pointing out to most of those reading who aren’t likely to be fitness fanatics like us that most forms of supplementation won’t buy them much more than more expensive urine. I should also throw in for them that it’s wise to consult their doctor before starting any sort of supplement program.

I used all sorts of supplements until I started working out with a member of the Marine Corps power lifting team in New Zealand in the mid 80s. He taught me that proper diet and rest were just as important as the workout, and that I like most people was using supplements for and excuse to not eat right. From then on I’ve cooked all my meals for the whole week except dinner on one of my days off. I carry packs of salmon, tuna, oatmeal, even baby food with me as emergency backups.

He also taught me to stop following other people’s workout routines and take the time to figure out what worked best for me by experimenting and keeping logs.

Now I eat 5 meals and drink 3 shakes a day. The only supplements I take are a multi-vitamin (peace of mind) and exercise/climate specific potassium and sodium. Well and beer (or is that a necessary food group?)

Last edited by grunt; 04/13/08 12:46 AM.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
grunt #204053 04/13/08 01:52 AM
M
M
You make some very good points. I'd like to also add that eating slowly makes a considerable difference too.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
Mojo #204059 04/13/08 02:29 AM
axiomite
axiomite
 Quote:
most people was using supplements for and excuse to not eat right

You've got that exactly right. I have always taken my vitamins etc. the old fashioned way. I have also, for most of my life, taken the time to get good sleep.

I don't get sick and for the most part feel pretty good. I felt my worst for the period of time where I was in a high stress job and probably not sleeping and eating as well as I could have. It was also the only period in my life where I had a cold that was anything more than sniffles for a few days.

Its funny how so many people ignore the simple (though not always easy) solution and look for the magic bullet.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #204063 04/13/08 02:49 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: Mojo

I'd like to also add that eating slowly makes a considerable difference too.

Absolutely Mojo, eating slowly can really help keep your appetite under control. Also as mentioned by someone earlier eating small meals every few hours really helps. Also don’t make the mistake of going “no fat” for meals. Healthy fats help the food taste better and can help you feel full a little longer.

Another thing to try to do is just increase your daily activity. Walk, jog or bike rather than drive. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Wash your car before watching the movie. Do yoga or stretching while listening to music. Anything that increases your general level of activity pays great dividends in the long run.

Originally Posted By: fredk

I felt my worst for the period of time where I was in a high stress job and probably not sleeping and eating as well as I could have.

You just played the healthy lifestyle trump card. Reducing chronic stress is likely the single most important thing anyone in a developed country can do to improve their health.

P.S. Sorry about the grammar in that in my previous post and any other times it’s happened. I’m not trying to be insulting by not proofreading. When I put dyslexia as the reason for editing a post I’m not kidding around. For the record I once misspelled the word “of” in a paper at university back when people still used manual typewriters. I spelled it “ov.” Thank heavens for spell-check.

grunt #204113 04/13/08 03:30 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
An interesting free resource is fitday.com. You can enter all your food and exercise for the week and it will let you know what nutrients you're low on, if you're meeting your custom goals, if you are burning more calories than you are eating. The nutrition report lets you know if you really need vitamins or if your eating is covering it off. Not than anyone here is into charts and graphs, I'm sure!!

Amie #204120 04/13/08 04:31 PM
M
M
Wow! Thanks for that, Amie.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
Mojo #204122 04/13/08 04:38 PM
J
OP Offline
J
I have used a free work out routine site when I get bored sometimes. It has some interesting things and a forum that may or may not help with motivation etc.

Free Trainers

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
Page 8 of 39 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 38 39

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic