Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Qs8 placement with room size change.
#334640 01/17/11 04:23 AM
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
Hey gals and gents,

Now that I am enclosing my theater room off from the rest of the recroom/bar area, I will be changing the placement of my 4 Qs8's.

Prior to the change the depth of the room was about 30ft, and the rear Qs8's were about 2-3ft behind the 2nd row seats and 3ft above your ears. The rear wall I just constructed gives be about 17ft of depth. Because of this, both my 1st and 2nd rows of seating will be slid forward in the room a few feet. Also, the 2nd row which is up on a riser will pretty much be up against the back wall now.

The wall alone the right side of the room I put in gives me a bit more width than I had before, and I am putting in some solid oad french doors. Both my side surrounds are going to be moved forward and will be just a bit in front of the 1st row seating.

My question is in regards to where to place my rear Qs8's. I know in other discussions it has been said that if you don't have any seperation from the rear speakers, it is not ideal. But, there will be seperation from the 1st row of seating, just not the back row, other than them being above the listeners ears 3 ft.. I suppose with the couch thickness they will still have about a ft. of seperation.

Also, I'm struggling with how far apart to place them in relationship. I was thinking that maybe moving them a bit closer, might help with a better rear channel experience. If they are to spread out, they may be harder to distinguish from the sides.

I also thought about angling them downward possibly. If there is anyone running 7.1 in a similar setup with the rear surrounds close to the 2nd row of seating I would love to hear from you. I think most of the discussions detouring people from doing this are if you only have one couch along the back wall, which is not my situation.

thanks again...Randy

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

Re: Qs8 placement with room size change.
SirQuack #334642 01/17/11 04:37 AM
Randy, I'll suggest that you have the guests who you don't really like all that much sitting in the back row. As to separation, the back surrounds should still be far enough apart so that any listener could get both a back left and back right image; i.e., they should be wider apart than the seating area.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #334643 01/17/11 05:01 AM
OP Offline
Sounds good John, I was considering that as well. The back row is actually a 3 person sofa with recliners, and is pretty wide. I believe it is an Eddie Bauer brand if anyone cares. smile

At this point the rear surrounds would be seperated enough so they are just on the outside of the couch.

One other question I forgot to mention, is how to mount the Q's to the walls. Previously, I had them hanging from the ceilings using brackets. They will not be flat against the walls.

If I use the supplied T-Bracket, do you guys just have the speakers wires sticking out through a hole in the drywall behind each speaker location? Or should I use a speaker terminal/plate of some kind, then have a shorter length of cable hooking to the speaker?

I do have one surround (left channel) that I may have to consider getting some of Axiom's flat wire with terminal black as that wall does not have any framing behind it..

SirQuack #334647 01/17/11 10:39 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Randy I planned the layout for all of the speakers in our room using Alan's setup guide for 'Dolby Digital EX/Dolby Pro LogicIIx/7.1 channels' in his "Essential Guide to Home Theater Layout" article. I used a common protractor then marked the suggested speaker locations in degrees on a garage workbench stool with a magic marker, placed the stool in the primary listening position (sweetspot) with the center aimed directly to the center of the main wall and then used a laser light pen and a pencil to mark the location on each wall for each speaker.

As to mounting the QS8s, I initially was going to use some recessed wall plates from PartExpress but chucked that idea whenever I found how much of a PIA it was going to be trying to connect a short run of wire between the plate and the QS8 and instead went with a bare wire sticking out of the wall, much easier and simpler. Without seeing exactly what your you are dealing with on the wall without a void, I really don't know what to suggest there.

Dolby Digital EX/Dolby Pro LogicIIx/7.1 channels

Rick
Our Room

smile
RickF #334649 01/17/11 11:25 AM
Ummm, Rick?

You have a little stool showing....

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #334653 01/17/11 02:01 PM
axiomite
axiomite
That's an issue I've been trying to rectify Mark, the progress has been slow though. smile

Rick
Our Room

smile
RickF #334655 01/17/11 02:38 PM
OP Offline
That is a great idea Rick, may have to so something like that... smile

Our basement foundation is called Ice Block which is an insulated concrete form. Many home builders used this now in place of standard concrete poured in forms, that are removed after the concrete sets.

Basically, you have insulated foam on the inside and outside, with an 8" void in the middle that is filled with concrete. There is rebar placed vertically and horizontally within the void. There is a 2" wide plastic strip about every 12" where you can screw into like you would a stud for hanging things. You don't have to put up any framing, the drywall screws right to it.... the R value for efficiency is way above a standard poured foundation.

RickF #334660 01/17/11 03:05 PM
I did that to my mom once...I love playing jokes on her.

I was painting and doing other work in her bathroom, and I had a step stool in there 'cuz I'm short. I came out from there one day after just going in to get started, and said "Mom, I need to talk to you. I know it's an embarrassing subject, but we're all adults. I just noticed that there was a little stool on the floor of your bathroom. Is everything OK?"

Once she started to get over the whole "that can't be true" thing, she followed me into the bathroom where I pointed it out.

She still laughs about it now.

Now that I read that back, it sounds pretty bad, but that's the type of relationship I've always had with her.

Besides, those types of jokes are fun. I needed to put air in one of my snowblower's tires before the last storm, so I told Joyce I was going to charge it down in the basement, then carry it out to the garage to fill the tire.

After, she asked me how it worked out. I told her "Well, carrying it back in after wasn't too bad, but what a bitch carrying that thing out to the garage! When that tank is full, it's heavier than a sonofabitch. Carrying it back in when the tank was empty was SO much easier!".

She didn't fall for it, though I enjoyed trying.

Am I off-topic yet?

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #334662 01/17/11 03:24 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I'd think by now your mom is either totally on edge or simply calloused with her surroundings whenever she's around you Mark. laugh

Speaking of off topic...

What the heck is this 'snowblower' contraption you speak of?

confused

Rick
Our Room

smile
MarkSJohnson #334663 01/17/11 03:26 PM
OP Offline
Since my side surrounds are moving forward a bit from their current location, I will need to add/splice some extra wire to my existing wiring. What is the best way to do this? I assume you would twist them togethor and then maybe use some of the rubber/shrink stuff to lock them togethor?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082