New Axiom owner with Questions
#333 10/14/01 02:17 AM
M
Myles Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
M
Well, I had been searching the net and the stores for a good sub for both Home theater and Music....very few seemed to do both well. My search brought me to Axiom and that took me to my closest dealer where I got a great deal on an EP-175 sub and a VP-150 center. These were slightly scratched demo models but the price was right. However, They did not come with manuals/boxes or spikes. I set them up and I'm very happy. I have an Integra 5.2 receiver and this was my first Sub. Home theater sounds...WOW!!! Music....WOW!!! Since It's my first sub I'm wondering where I should have the phase switch set to (0 or 180 deg)...also...the Audio/video switch...currently left on Audio but should I put it on Video for Sat TV viewing and movies? (it seems to increase the bass response)

Now the Center channel speaker replaces an 8 yr old PSB 100c which worked pretty well...but that vp-150 was too hard to resist. All the broshures indicate the impedance at 4 ohms but the back of mine says 6 ohms. I notice the vp-150SE has a different layout....I presume to spread the high freq. more...is there much difference? How would you compane it to my old PSB 100c?

Also, Now I have a mixed bag system with Axiom center and Sub and PSB 500 mains and Paradigm Atom rears. Most people recommend matching all speakers...esp tweeters.... However, My system has never sounded better...and I guess that's the main thing.

I'm still in awe of the sub!! Great stuff Axiom....look for my glowing review soon on Audioreview.com

Re: New Axiom owner with Questions
#334 10/14/01 01:13 PM
Ian Offline
President
connoisseur
President
connoisseur
We are very pleased that you are happy with your new Axiom products. The phase switch on the sub should be at the 0 degree position if the sub is up front facing the same direction as your mains and at the 180 degree position if it is behind you and facing at your mains. The video switch boosts the frequencies between 30 and 50 Hz. Depending on your room acoustics you may want to leave this on video all the time or audio all the time. The best way to determine this is with some experimenting with various music and movies. Normally it will be best in just one of the positions for both music and movies in your room.

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer

Ian Colquhoun
Re: New Axiom owner with Questions
#335 10/14/01 01:19 PM
Ian Offline
President
connoisseur
President
connoisseur
Further to your point about the impedance, the VP150 is truly about 5.5 ohms and will work great with your 6 ohm output from your receiver. Timbre matching your entire system with Axiom fronts and surrounds will improve the sound even more, just another boost to the experience to look forward to when you decide to go for it.

Ian Colquhoun

Ian Colquhoun

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,464
Members15,617