Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Anyone ever move or setup basement bathroom "stub"
#336786 02/02/11 10:57 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
We have been looking at a house for a while, but its biggest negative that we've come across is that the basement bathroom plumbing is stubbed in a bad location... Right at the bottom of the stairs.

In order to get the basement layout to work, we would want to put the bathroom somewhere else in the basement. I've heard some people say that it is cheaper to cap off the existing stub, and to run new drains for toilet and the shower.

I have no idea either way, but have no idea what it would cost to do either? I know that there are a lot of variables, and I'm not afraid to do work myself, but don't know where to start. I just want to get some figures so that I know how much more I need to account for cost wise to finish the basement and factor that in to the value (or expense) of buying that particular house.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
Re: Anyone ever move or setup basement bathroom "stub"
nickbuol #336787 02/02/11 11:05 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Are you sure you can't rebuild the stairs or something?

Nick, it's IN CONCRETE. You can't "move" it. And any other location will also be ... wait for it ... in CONCRETE.

I'm a fairly fearless DIY guy, but I'm hiring that job out. And it's gonna be expensive.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #336790 02/02/11 11:33 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Nick, I'm not sure what they call them, but I recall seeing some type of septic pump system where you don't have to break into the concrete, it pumps the waste into the septic system rather than draining downwards. It might allow you to build a washroom in a more convenient location as a result. What do they call them? I saw these last year sometime.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Adrian #336791 02/02/11 11:37 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Maybe this will help.... upward flushing toilet .

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
tomtuttle #336792 02/02/11 11:46 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
Are you sure you can't rebuild the stairs or something?

Nick, it's IN CONCRETE. You can't "move" it. And any other location will also be ... wait for it ... in CONCRETE.

I'm a fairly fearless DIY guy, but I'm hiring that job out. And it's gonna be expensive.

I know that I can't "MOVE" it. I should have said "relocate it yet tie into the old drain".

That is why others have said to just install all new drains. Still have to cut concrete, but then you don't have to go back to another existing drain.

Again, just looking at options. The stairs can't move/be changed.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #336793 02/02/11 11:50 PM
axiomite
axiomite
When my drain pipe for my clothes washer rusted and fell over, instead of cutting into the concrete and installing a new one, I bought some PCV pipes and made a new one that went to an existing drain and emptied into that. I'm not suggesting you empty into a drain like that, but I thought I'd throw that out there just for ideas.

nickbuol #336794 02/03/11 12:06 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
As for the upward flushing toilet, I can't imagine how disgusting that little pump and the "garbage disposal" type spinning blades would be when that thing breaks down... Eeewwwwww...

Interesting idea though.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #336894 02/03/11 05:09 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I've actually been through both of these! Over the holidays at my in-laws country place the pump that pushes the waste from the basement toilet up to the septic drain got jammed (kids - long story) and had to be removed, cleaned and put back in place. It was a messy/smelly job! sick

When I refinished my basement we had to move a toilet drain. We did just cap the old one. Ran a new line for the new position. Not that difficult, but quite physically demanding, loud and messy to break concrete. Cheap to do yourself (mostly labour) which is why I can see it would be quite expensive to contract it out depending on how the long the revised run is.

One other word of advice - make sure you know where the main electrical cables go. Another long story, but the short version is at another house where we were (yet again) moving the toilet location in the basement, we hit the main electrical line coming in for the house from the meter. Huge electrical fireball, thankfully nobody hurt, and very expensive to have the house put back on the grid again - only qualified electricians are allowed to deal with hooking up to the meter on the outside of the house!

Dan
On-Wall M5HP LCR, QS8 & EP500 in 7.1
cb919 #336896 02/03/11 05:54 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Good lord, Dan. I hope you wear proper eye/ear/body protection when you leave the house. I'm just gonna use my imagination on those stories. And work WITH the meds.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
cb919 #336913 02/03/11 06:46 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Originally Posted By: cb919
I've actually been through both of these! Over the holidays at my in-laws country place the pump that pushes the waste from the basement toilet up to the septic drain got jammed (kids - long story) and had to be removed, cleaned and put back in place. It was a messy/smelly job! sick

When I refinished my basement we had to move a toilet drain. We did just cap the old one. Ran a new line for the new position. Not that difficult, but quite physically demanding, loud and messy to break concrete. Cheap to do yourself (mostly labour) which is why I can see it would be quite expensive to contract it out depending on how the long the revised run is.

One other word of advice - make sure you know where the main electrical cables go. Another long story, but the short version is at another house where we were (yet again) moving the toilet location in the basement, we hit the main electrical line coming in for the house from the meter. Huge electrical fireball, thankfully nobody hurt, and very expensive to have the house put back on the grid again - only qualified electricians are allowed to deal with hooking up to the meter on the outside of the house!

Wow!

Couple of questions.
Do you know how difficult it would be to add a sink and shower/tub drain to that mix? When we finished our last bathroom, I just hired a plumber to make all of the connections, and the sink seemed like it just tied in to one of the others, but the shower/tub drain is a square hole in the ground filled with gravel. I have no idea what was under the gravel or how much work it would be to run that as well.

Physical labor of renting one of those manageable jackhammers is fine. I expect that mess, work. Just looking for the plumbing issues.

As for avoiding the electrical runs under the house, how would someone ever know where those are? Is it like calling the people that come and scan for lines outside in the yard?

Last edited by nickbuol; 02/03/11 06:47 PM.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,464
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020