Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 13 of 26 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 25 26
Re: Sound & Vision mag reviews M60's
BlueJays1 #337974 02/11/11 04:07 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I am not renewing my subs to any stereo OR a/v mags.

They're fun to look at (like the Xmas Nieman-Marcus catalog), but I'm never gonna own any of that stuff. I'm not in the market for anything for quite some time now.

And, as I said in Dwight, NO review is valid if the subject of that review gets to, in the same effen issue, profusely thank the mag and it's reviewer for all of their brilliant insights, their amazing sensitivity and, more importantly, their correctness!

No critical review publication in ALL of academia would/could exist under that "model." And it's not true in all newsstand mags either. In art mags, you will see reviews that are quite harsh, and on the flip page is an ad for the gallery showing that work.

So the sound mags are all just big circle jerks. Everyone's got their fingers in everyone else's ears.

You can read a review about almost anything and, with an accompanying reproduction, or quoted text, come to some sort of first impression. You can't do that with sound. Ever.

So, while it may be worth discussing any speficic review brought here, there can never be an ultimate, empirical outcome.

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.
avjunkee #337985 02/11/11 04:35 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: avjunkee
Originally Posted By: Dr.House
Neither the M60 or Salon 2 have rolled off highs.

Then the reviewer has a personal preference for rolled of highs, since he apparently had to toe out the M60's to tame them. I'm sure having the tweeters 12 inches above your ears like the Revels helps tame the highs and make it more forgiving / less affected by speaker toe in/out angle.

The optimized and uniform power response of the Revel Salon 2 is what makes it such a great speaker and not picky to room placement. But comparing the Salon 2 to much less costing designs is not a good idea. Revel has some of the brightest minds, technology and most importantly a ridiculous amount of resources to work with. They can spend so much more on R&D and it all trickles down under the different Harman brands, its just not fair. Revel is not typical of most loudspeaker companies and the price tag that comes along with this speaker reflects it. Apples and oranges comparison IMO.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #337986 02/11/11 05:10 PM
Jc Offline
aficionado
aficionado

That's true of a lot of high end speakers. The Salon 2 is not one of those.

I agree Revel is one of a few brands which supports its design with a serious scientific approach. I have auditioned the Studio 2 model powered by Mark levinson amps and a Mark Levinson No512 CD/SACD player. I was greatly impressed. Was it really worth all that money - may be if you are plenty rich ?

jc
BlueJays1 #337987 02/11/11 05:15 PM
J
veteran
veteran
J
Originally Posted By: avjunkee
Neither the M60 or Salon 2 have rolled off highs.

Then the reviewer has a personal preference for rolled of highs, since he apparently had to toe out the M60's to tame them. I'm sure having the tweeters 12 inches above your ears like the Revels helps tame the highs and make it more forgiving / less affected by speaker toe in/out angle.

The optimized and uniform power response of the Revel Salon 2 is what makes it such a great speaker and not picky to room placement. But comparing the Salon 2 to much less costing designs is not a good idea. Revel has some of the brightest minds, technology and most importantly a ridiculous amount of resources to work with. They can spend so much more on R&D and it all trickles down under the different Harman brands, its just not fair. Revel is not typical of most loudspeaker companies and the price tag that comes along with this speaker reflects it. Apples and oranges comparison IMO.

True so we can agree that in the case with a Revel speaker, you get what you pay for, a superior speaker. Some here seem to think Axiom/Revel are on the same level in performance regardless of price which I think is just ridiculous.

JBall #337988 02/11/11 05:34 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In the mid-90's, I really wanted an M3 (BMW, not Axiom). It was a time when I actually could have afforded to do it without strain ('cept maybe for the 5g's to insure it in El Paso!)

I bought an Acura GSR. Differences aside, was the BMW really worth the cost of two Acuras. NO!
I'd never own both cars, so I would never be keenly and constantly aware of the differences. And I lost way fewer thousands of dollars in depreciation.

Besides, I coudn't afford the Beamer AND almost 6k for car stereo now, could I? Nothin' like a 400w Mac in a car and a 300w/ 12" cannon.

If everyone had unlimited resources, we'd subscribe to TAS and actually buy that stuff, 'cause we're nuts.

The word here is value, overwhelmingly. And we all got great ones.

Money-no-object folk don't hang here.

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.
BobKay #337990 02/11/11 05:38 PM
J
veteran
veteran
J
Originally Posted By: BobKay
In the mid-90's, I really wanted an M3 (BMW, not Axiom). It was a time when I actually could have afforded to do it without strain ('cept maybe for the 5g's to insure it in El Paso!)

I bought an Acura GSR. Differences aside, was the BMW really worth the cost of two Acuras. NO!
I'd never own both cars, so I would never be keenly and constantly aware of the differences. And I lost way fewer thousands of dollars in depreciation.

Besides, I coudn't afford the Beamer AND almost 6k for car stereo now, could I? Nothin' like a 400w Mac in a car and a 300w/ 12" cannon.

If everyone had unlimited resources, we'd subscribe to TAS and actually buy that stuff, 'cause we're nuts.

The word here is value, overwhelmingly. And we all got great ones.

Money-no-object folk don't hang here.

True dat, hence why I bought a Genesis Coupe instead of a Porsche 9/11 wink

JBall #337995 02/11/11 05:52 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I think we should review Lindsey Lohan's dress.

Whoops - wrong thread.

Last edited by Argon; 02/11/11 05:53 PM.

"A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" Churchill
Argon #338002 02/11/11 06:03 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
If we were to, in any way at all, it would be entirely valid. Why? Because our comments would not be followed by the praises of her publicist.

Crap, can you imagine being her publicist? Combat pay.

And you don't go before a judge in white tight-knit midi. Boy, did I learn that the hard way in my teens!

BobKay #338006 02/11/11 06:17 PM
D
old hand
old hand
D
Does Axiom advertise in Sound & Vision magazine?

Dundas #338007 02/11/11 06:19 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
She had on a tight off-white tie dress that sold out yesterday at $575 a pop. I don't think the '60s sold out after the ringing endorsement they received at S&M - er, I mean S&V

"A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" Churchill
Page 13 of 26 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 25 26

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters