Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Advice/opinions on a setup for a challenging room.
#33841 02/12/04 08:27 PM
Merlock Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
I will try my best to describe my HT room and how the system needs to be setup. I'm looking mostly for opinions about whether my plan will work well and advice as to how I might improve it.

First, the room:

The dimensions are 14' x 24' with exposed beam, vaulted ceilings. There is a big fire place in the middle of one the 24' walls and a 6' opening leading to a hallway. There are large, low windows on both 14' walls.

These facts mean my only option for setup is to have the HT System (TV, Components, center, Etc.) on the fireplace wall in the corner diagonally opposite the hallway with the sitting area on the opposite wall next to the hallway opening.

This creates a listening/viewing area roughly 14' x 12' with a 14' x 12' open area directly adjacent the HT area. To compound this issue, the vault rises into the open area.

Second, the plan:

I plan to put a VP100 on the TV, 1 M3i on an FMB as close to the left corner as it sounds good, 1 M3ti on an FMB to the right of the fireplace, an Hsu SFT-2 between the tv and the fireplace, a QS4 to the left and slightly in front of the sitting area and a final QS4 on the right side wall slightly in front of the seating area and slightly above the hallway opening to enhance bounce.

Now that I'm done with the mother of all run-on sentences, what do you think?

The remaining pertinent info I can think of is we use this 90% for HT and we don't go very loud.

If more info would help you give advice, please ask.

Thanks all!

Tim Debate is not a competition, it's a search for the truth...
Re: Advice/opinions on a setup for a challenging room.
#33842 02/14/04 04:44 AM
shareholder in the making
Tim, I think that I was able to follow your description, and if you're going to use that orientation about the only thing I'd suggest is to have the QS4s a lttle behind the seating position(unless you're planning to sit right up against the back wall)to give you a little back surround as well as side surround effect. The right QS4 will be quite a bit farther away than the one on the left, but the receiver delay can at least partially compensate for that. Another thought is whether it would be totally unacceptable to instead have the setup on the 14' wall in front of the windows.

As I further thought, I'd also suggest that the sub should be directly in the corner, which is generally the best location.

Last edited by JohnK; 02/14/04 04:49 AM.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#33843 02/16/04 06:18 PM
Merlock Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
John,

Thank you for the great suggestions. Unfortunately, the seating is up against the back wall, so I've got no way to get the QS4s behind us without putting them on the back wall. It's my understanding I'm better off having them slightly forward on the side wall than on the back wall. I'll test them both ways, of course, but is that correct?

As for the sub, my component tower and tv stand take up all the room between the fireplace and side wall. I'll just have to experiment with the sub placement.

Anybody else have any comments or observations?

Thanks!

Tim Debate is not a competition, it's a search for the truth...
#33844 02/17/04 02:50 AM
Tim in my view if you're going to be sitting with your head just a foot or so from the back wall it may be a bit better to mount the QS4s on the back wall, widely separated(the left one probably just a foot from the side wall)so as to get a little bit of back surround effect even sitting that close to the wall. Of course, experiment with temporary locations.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 740 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup