Forums » General Discussion » Home Theater » QS8's purchased and installed

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#338859 - 02/17/11 12:14 AM QS8's purchased and installed
PhillipD Offline
veteran

Loc: Grande Prairie, Alberta
Well I have finally got a chance to purchase some axiom speakers after all the time on here. I went with a set of QS8's to replace my paradigm CS 60R SM's which have been a very good speaker for my surrounds. First off the transaction with Axiom and the whole internet buying was flawless and oen call to fix a hickup and things were as planed. I delayed the delivery due to being out of town and shipping was as requested and delivery was on time as soon as I got home. Packaging of the speakers was very well done and there were no signs of mishandeling of the product.

After unpacking all the packaging and wraping was a true sign that these were packed for the long haul. Install of the QS8's with the T brackets was a snap they were up on my walls in an hour. That is including robbing the speaker wire from my existing speakers.

The only real test that I have done with then is with seven ch stereo and I must say they put out a great deal more then the paradigms, but they are in a different class as well. I do find them a bight brighter than the paradigms but a welcom edition. I did do an auto calibration with my yamaha and the system set them to -2.5db over the rest of my infinity speakers. I trimmed them to 0 and calle dit good, I will listen to some movies in the next couple of nights to see if there is a noticable differance, I am thinking there will be. Looks like there are more Axioms desten for my HT.

Here are a few shots.

[img:center][/img]
I left the paradigms in the wall as they will stay with the house.

Later
Phil

Edited by PhillipD (02/17/11 12:18 AM)

#338865 - 02/17/11 12:44 AM Re: QS8's purchased and installed [Re: PhillipD]
JohnK Offline
shareholder in the making

Very good, Phil; enjoy.

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#338867 - 02/17/11 01:31 AM Re: QS8's purchased and installed [Re: JohnK]
SBrown Offline
aficionado

Loc: Victoria,BC
Did you buy those at the auction? Only reason is they look like v2.

#338868 - 02/17/11 02:16 AM Re: QS8's purchased and installed [Re: SBrown]
PhillipD Offline
veteran

Yes I did, I was lucky that they matched my walls and were a pretty close match to the infinities. I missed the matching pair of M80's here on Monday..I was not happy I think they went for $790.

#338869 - 02/17/11 04:16 AM Re: QS8's purchased and installed [Re: PhillipD]
RickF Offline
axiomite

Loc: Vero Beach, Florida
Looks nice Phillipe ... what is the primary difference between v2 and v3 QS series, magnetic grills?

smile

#338881 - 02/17/11 09:53 AM Re: QS8's purchased and installed [Re: RickF]
solarrdadd Offline
devotee

Loc: Alexandria, VA
PhillipD, congrats on your surrounds. i keep seeing folks use the term bright and everyone of them has a different meaning for it. what do you mean "bright" as you have used this term to describe the QS8v3's? I have a pair of them and the QS4v3's too and they both sound perfect to me; in fact all of my axiom speakers sound perfect to me--but that's me. i know everyone's ear is different but everytime i see that term "bright" i feel a knife twisting!

please don't take any of this the wrong way, i'm just trying to understand where your coming from. perhaps you could elaborate a little bit more than the term "bright" cause i still don't know what that means since it seams to mean something different to everyone that uses the term.
14 Speakers, All Axiom
Oppo 105D&93

#338882 - 02/17/11 09:56 AM Re: QS8's purchased and installed [Re: solarrdadd]
CatBrat Offline
axiomite

Loc: Milky Way Galaxy
:insert picture of people wearing sunglasses surrounding an axiom speaker that is shining brightly:

#338885 - 02/17/11 10:05 AM Re: QS8's purchased and installed [Re: CatBrat]
solarrdadd Offline
devotee

Loc: Alexandria, VA
Originally Posted By: CatBrat
:insert picture of people wearing sunglasses surrounding an axiom speaker that is shining brightly:

Outstanding! That was a good one! grin
14 Speakers, All Axiom
Oppo 105D&93

#338901 - 02/17/11 11:42 AM Re: QS8's purchased and installed [Re: solarrdadd]
Ken.C Offline
shareholder in the making

Loc: NoVA
At this point, Rick, I'd guess the cosmetic changes are the only ones that set those apart as v3s, not v2s. Unless they were built over a year ago, I think they'd have the updated drivers and crossover.

#338904 - 02/17/11 11:45 AM Re: QS8's purchased and installed [Re: solarrdadd]
PhillipD Offline
veteran

LOL I guess that is a good point. Bright to me is having a sound balance that is more biased toward the higher frequencies. A more treble forward sounding speaker all of which are terms that are subjective and interpretive impressions of a sound to different people. But that is what it means to me, it is not a negitive term in my opinion I feel that speakers with this quality can produce some great vocal sounds in a 7CH stereo mode, there are not too many surround vocal tracks that I have found yet LOL.

Later
Phil

Originally Posted By: solarrdadd
PhillipD, congrats on your surrounds. i keep seeing folks use the term bright and everyone of them has a different meaning for it. what do you mean "bright" as you have used this term to describe the QS8v3's? I have a pair of them and the QS4v3's too and they both sound perfect to me; in fact all of my axiom speakers sound perfect to me--but that's me. i know everyone's ear is different but everytime i see that term "bright" i feel a knife twisting!

please don't take any of this the wrong way, i'm just trying to understand where your coming from. perhaps you could elaborate a little bit more than the term "bright" cause i still don't know what that means since it seams to mean something different to everyone that uses the term.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 
Forum Stats

15,224 Registered Members
15 Forums
23,992 Topics
424,052 Posts

Most users ever online:
883 @ 03/04/17 05:06 PM

Top Posters
Ken.C 18044
pmbuko 16437