Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Need advice
#339125 02/18/11 11:38 PM
S
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
S
This may be a little long-winded, but please hear me out.

I recently bought some Energy Take 5 Classics and am loving every minute with it. I know it doesn't play as big as I know it should but it plays very clear and accurate in my bedroom. It is currently paired up with a Yamaha RX-V667. The reason I decided to go ahead with this purchase was because my Onkyo 606 crapped on me and I was tired of watching Blus in two channel mode with my Polk Monitor 60s. I figure this will hold me off until I can save up for the Axiom setup that I've been drooling over for the longest.

I bought the 667 from newegg and they had a deal that included a set of Klipsch RB-41 IIs for free. I just figured I'd get it and try to sell off the RBs and recoup some money. I was hoping to sell it new in box, but I just couldn't help myself. I had to try these little speakers out to see why it retails for $279. I decided to do some testing which was rudimentary at best.

I wanted to test how the RB 41s would fare against my energy satellites and my Monitor 60s. Without the complementary sub, the energys sounded small and thin - which was expected. Then I went ahead and tested the polk 60s and was quite surprised. I had told myself that i liked the little energys better than my previous polk setup, but the M60s were definitely louder and clearer. I was convinced the energys were clearer but it turns out I was wrong. I then tried the RB 41s, hoping for a good surprise. it turns out, I was a little bit underwhelmed. For being the smallest of Klipsch Reference series, I was hoping for a little bit more. Turns out my polk 60s came out ahead in that testing.

I then decided to mix and match my speakers to see the difference in a 5.1 setup. The 60s became the mains, and I had a standing energy sat. as my center. I moved the RBs to be surrounds. The sound seemed a little bigger but I could not really discern the difference. I then moved the sats. to surround duty and used one of the RBs as a center. I could definitely tell the center was louder and clearer. After the testing, I reverted back to my Energy speakers as my 5.1 system.

What did this test conclude for me? It just left me confused and concerned. Was my little Energy system that good that I couldn't tell the difference from supposed bigger and better speakers? I know that's not true, but my ears could barely tell the difference. I know my test speakers are not reference speakers by any means.

What concerns me is that if I eventually upgrade to Axiom speakers, will I be similarly underwhelmed? I am hoping not. From reading all the reviews and spending a lot of time reading the forum, Axiom speakers seem to take their owners close to audio contentment.

Please erase my concerns!

Seeking

Last edited by Seekinganswers; 02/18/11 11:41 PM.

Speakers: Energy RC-70s, RC-LCR, RC-Rs and eD A2-300 x 2.
Receiver: Marantz 6006
Re: Need advice
Seekinganswers #339127 02/18/11 11:54 PM
devotee
devotee
The standard reply for queries similar to yours goes something like this...

(And FWIW, I really don't intend to come off sounding like a smart-a$$ here)

The only way to tell for sure if you'll be pleased with your purchase in your room is to purchase the speakers and connect them in your room.

If you're happy, then great, audio nirvana, it's all good, and you're pleased with your bang-for-the-buck factor.

If not, take advantage of Axiom's return policy and pay the meager amount to ship the speakers back.

Even listening to the same speakers in someone else's room is a nice demo, but it's not (OK, it's very unlikely that it's) going to sound exactly the same in your space.

My $0.02.

Kruncher #339130 02/19/11 12:37 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
You seem to be equating "louder" with "better", which is actually pretty natural, but not really helpful. People almost always "prefer" the louder speaker; that's one of the reasons why objective testing is so difficult.

Without a switcher that allows you to level-match the speakers and go between them fairly quickly, it's going to be challenging for you to find your preference.

When you're trying to listen critically between models and/or brands, I don't know that it's helpful to include the surrounds and the center.

Better - I think - would be to stick to 2.0 (or 2.1 in deference to the Energy form factor) and listen to some well-recorded music that you are familiar with and enjoy. I'd use a number of selections for variety and to get a good sample size. Perhaps even do the listening on separate days, but use the same material to test each setup.

Listen to some material at moderate volumes and also at fairly loud volumes.

Likewise, make sure you experiment with the placement of each set of speakers, as that can make a world of difference.

I find my Axioms to be very detailed. If you are used to speakers with some bloat in the midrange or upper bass (which is pretty common), Axioms might sound "thin" at first. Upon longer exposure, I've found that they allow me to hear individual instruments distinctly, which is something I really like.

There are lots of good speakers in the world, and lots of ways to perceive value or contentment. The speakers you have are actually pretty good. You might find that the incremental difference is changing to Axioms isn't "worth it", or you might have am "Ah HA!" moment. As Kruncher said, your ears, your room.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #339132 02/19/11 12:41 AM
shareholder in the making
Note, everyone, that the OP doesn't have Axioms yet. Not sure what Monitor 60s are, but they're not Axiom M60s.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #339136 02/19/11 01:36 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I think they are Polks(Mon 60).

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
tomtuttle #339137 02/19/11 01:44 AM
S
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
S
Tom,

You give some good advice. The energys are pretty good speakers for my room. I will probably be moving to a new base pretty soon and will do most of my movie watching in the living room. The space will definitely be bigger and I will be looking for more speaker to fill a larger room.

I guess I should have stated that the difference in each speaker is harder for me, personally, to tell. I think that is my biggest concern. That does not mean that I don't believe axioms are a cut above all the speakers I played around with today.

My disappointment probably has something to do with my expectations with my new receiver, too. I thought I was going to be able to hear a difference between different receivers but it is harder for me to detect. I probably will change my tune once I spend some more time with my new gear.

And, no, I do not currently own axiom's M60s. I own Polk Audio Monitor 60s. Sorry for confusion.

Seekinganswers #339144 02/19/11 03:56 AM
I wouldn't expect to hear much difference (if any) from the new receiver.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #339151 02/19/11 05:46 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
It's my personal opinion that some people will find a speaker like Axiom to sound better than most, while other folks won't. I have several friends who think I'm crazy for paying what I did for my Axioms. In that they can't tell the difference over a HTIB. Now most people on these forums would just roll their eyes at that but the point is while we see the value in Axiom speakers, other people may not.

My only advise would be to go to a store and sample some of your music on some expensive speakers. I know people will point out that listening to speakers in your own home is best. All I'm suggesting is to do something easy and free to get a rough idea of if you feel "elite" speakers add anything over what you already have. If you notice any difference then I believe you would probably fall in line with most people around here and find the value in Axioms.

INANE #339171 02/19/11 03:48 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Just to add to Ben's comments....

There are many people who don't see the value in stereo equip't period. They just want to watch a movie, TV show, or listen to music, and as long as they can make out what's being said or sung, they don't really care. Never mind they're missing half the effects of the movie, the nuances in a singers voice ect.

I guess we're all different....my neighbour spent $13k + on a Yamaha snowmobile and has used it twice this winter(now going into storage for next yr). He sees value in it, I don't(unless he used it a lot more). To each his own....

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Adrian #339175 02/19/11 04:41 PM
S
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
S
My mood about speakers just changed dramatically for the better. I was able to sell the polk monitor 60s to a friend/coworker and the RB-41s sold on eBay. All in the same day I was questioning my audio purchases. So in effect, I got a smoking deal for my Energy Take 5 Classics and my Yamaha RX-v667. I have just turned my frown upside down. Now I do not have to entertain thoughts of trying to build another interim system based on the Klipsch speakers that I got as a bonus. With that said, the only logical step for my next upgrade is to go with Axioms.

Don't get me wrong, I can see the great value and performance the Axioms bring to the table. From whatever I have learned and read about axioms, I personally feel like they offer the best value and performance for the price, if not the best value.

With no other speakers in my possession to distract me, I only have axioms to look forward to as an upgrade now. The only thing bugging me is whether to start off with the M22s, or meet halfway with the M60s or just jump in head first, when I do, with the M80s. I am prepared to be blown away.

Seeking

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020