Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 11 of 16 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 15 16
Re: Help choosing an in-wall component rack/shelf.
Ya_basta #339515 02/22/11 08:31 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
The difference of the Blue Jeans cable is that is uses bonded pairs in additional to being of sufficient gauge. That means the pairs of wires that are supposed to be a specific distance from each other are actually bonded together (think zip cord) so that distance is always maintained.

That's what it comes down to. The cheap HDMI extenders don't work any better than cheap cable. They really only start to make sense once you're hitting 50' where the cost of HDMI cable, and it's ability to maintain signal are pushed to extremes.

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
ClubNeon #339522 02/22/11 09:03 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I'm really pissed off with this no signal problem mad . My entertainment room gives me a reason to get up when I'm able to, like today, but I didn't because I wouldn't have anything to do. In the wintertime, I'm in my entertainment room. In the summertime, I'm outside on my deck reading.

Anyway, I contacted the website from whom I purchased the Cat 6 cables from, and they are more than willing to work with me. They did say that they can easily get damaged when they are pulled, as the website I linked to denoted.

Now I have to rally up some troops that are strong enough to lift my TV off the wall so I can check the connections. I'm also going to purchase two ethernet cables from Future Shop and just run them along the floor to see if I get a signal. If I get a signal, then the cables are obviously damaged, and this setup won't work because I'll probably damaged another set when it's pulled through the ceiling.

I'm really tempted to give Blue Jeans Cables a call to confirm with Kurt, and then dish out the money for one of their cables.

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Ya_basta #339560 02/22/11 10:24 PM
G
aficionado
aficionado
G
Originally Posted By: wheelz999
I'm really pissed off with this no signal problem mad . My entertainment room gives me a reason to get up when I'm able to, like today, but I didn't because I wouldn't have anything to do. In the wintertime, I'm in my entertainment room. In the summertime, I'm outside on my deck reading.

Anyway, I contacted the website from whom I purchased the Cat 6 cables from, and they are more than willing to work with me. They did say that they can easily get damaged when they are pulled, as the website I linked to denoted.

Now I have to rally up some troops that are strong enough to lift my TV off the wall so I can check the connections. I'm also going to purchase two ethernet cables from Future Shop and just run them along the floor to see if I get a signal. If I get a signal, then the cables are obviously damaged, and this setup won't work because I'll probably damaged another set when it's pulled through the ceiling.

I'm really tempted to give Blue Jeans Cables a call to confirm with Kurt, and then dish out the money for one of their cables.

I've used monoprice high speed cables (the bigger gauge versions) for a 50' run, 75' run and 111' run (built in repeater/extender in cable) all with no problems and no visible signal degradation. (sort of a b*tch to pull and fish walls using them, heavy and thick)Well one handshake problem ocassionally, but that was cured with an equipment upgrade. (gear or cable?, I don't know)

The only time I had a problem was 111' from BR player to receiver and then 75' back to the display, no worky.

Of course ymmv

Good Luck

Jeff

Fronts/Wides:M22s in/on
Center:VP150/VP100 in/on
Hghts,SS,SR:QS8s
Sub:EP500
AVR:Onkyo 3008
speedbump #339586 02/23/11 02:57 AM
A
veteran
veteran
A
Originally Posted By: speedbump

Because I had to run the cables a distance of 35 feet, I opted to run HDMI over Cat 6.

Slightly off topic--why does a distance of 35' influence someone's to choose HDMI over CAT 6?

Just curious. I've got a 40' HDMI cable that works perfectly.

CAT6 is way easier to run at those lenghts compared to a 22 awg HDMI cable. That said, I would personally opt for the HDMI cable if at all possible.

M80s, VP180, QS8s, EP800 v3
Glitchy #339588 02/23/11 03:01 AM
A
veteran
veteran
A
Originally Posted By: wordgasm

I've used monoprice high speed cables (the bigger gauge versions) for a 50' run, 75' run and 111' run (built in repeater/extender in cable) all with no problems and no visible signal degradation. (sort of a b*tch to pull and fish walls using them, heavy and thick)Well one handshake problem ocassionally, but that was cured with an equipment upgrade. (gear or cable?, I don't know)

The only time I had a problem was 111' from BR player to receiver and then 75' back to the display, no worky.

Of course ymmv

Good Luck

Jeff

+1

I've never had any issues with 25ft, 35ft, and 50ft HDMI cables. No difference visually or audibly when compared to a 6ft cable.

M80s, VP180, QS8s, EP800 v3
avjunkee #339669 02/23/11 08:02 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Hey guys,

I use banana plugs to connect to my Denon 3808, but they most definitely are not a snug fit, and they literally look like they could just fall out. They are so loose that when you let go of the plug, they slightly hang, and there is a tiny gap between the connector and the banana plug.

It was connected this way before I moved everything to the new cabinet, but I'm noticing it for the first time because the receiver is easily accessible now.

Anyone else notice this? I did a quick search online, and everything I've read says they should fit snugly, requiring some force to plug them in, but this most definitely isn't the case.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Ya_basta #339672 02/23/11 08:09 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Not all bananas are created equal. You should look for "locking banana plugs."

I'd mention a company that sells them, but I've done enough plugging of them for one week. laugh

Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
ClubNeon #339674 02/23/11 08:28 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Thanks, Chris; I know who you are talking about, not only because I'm aware of who you recommended, but also because I'm currently on their website smile.

I'm also getting the impression that you like spending my money wink smile.

Ya_basta #339677 02/23/11 08:41 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
It's not just yours. smile

Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
ClubNeon #339679 02/23/11 08:46 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Thanks for your help again, bud, it's greatly appreciated.

Page 11 of 16 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 15 16

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters