Starting from scratch
#340244 02/27/11 12:10 AM
B
b1jassc Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
B
So I have already invested in the Axiom product line for my living room. Now I will be finishing my basement. I have a room in the basement which will be dedicated to TV and Music. What building considerations and products should I be looking at installing?

Thanks!

Re: Starting from scratch
b1jassc #340245 02/27/11 12:18 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
Sounds like a thread I'll need to pay attention to. What are your goals for the space? How stylish does it need to be? What kind of display will you be using? As in, TV or projector? Is sound isolation important?

CV #340249 02/27/11 12:42 AM
B
b1jassc Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
B
This is truly a green space, meaning it is from the ground up. I don't know the TV yet or anything else (aside from Axiom Speakers). I love my Denon receiver with the Axiom speakers and I might go with the next model.

My goals are to sound proof the ceiling a bit since the in-law suite is right above. I am thinking plasma, but am not opposed to projection (I have the room in the ceiling). I want to hide as much wire as I can without sacrificing quality so if there are any outlet type patch panels, I'd be interested in hearing about them. I'm open to all suggestions!

Thanks!

b1jassc #340253 02/27/11 12:56 AM
M
regular
regular
M
I am thinking I want the whole Movie Theatre experience. My room size is 15.5 x 21 x 8 and I am going with projection. I am going to see if I can design a frame that I can fasten a perferate screen on and have a frame built like a garage door that I can slide the screen up into a cavity near the cieling and I will have my 50" plasma on the wall. A centre speaker just above this so I can still use the stereo. Then for major sports ( Hockey games ) or movies I can flip the projection screen down and it will slide right in front of the tv. The centre channel speaker will be in the centre of the screen when it is down. My only concern is the screen will block the sound and muffle it too much

meagain #340256 02/27/11 01:04 AM
B
b1jassc Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
B
Meagain,
You may want to start your own discussion. I don't want your post to be confused with my questions.

Kind regards,
b1jassc

b1jassc #340274 02/27/11 03:52 AM
J
J
How big is the area? Are you looking to fully sound proof the room? If so I would say the best way os to build a room within a room but there are other new poducts out there to keep the noise contained to the room. I would also suggest running conduit to any location you may want to have wire running to, this way you can later pull wires thru the conduit as required to those locations, ie subwoofer/speaker locations etc..

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #340276 02/27/11 04:16 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Hey meagain, start your own post and you will get some good tips too set specific to your needs. Some of us could use the boost in post counts anyway. :-)

b1jassc, there are several ways to isolate the sound, but some costs more than others and some do a better job that others.

Does someone stay in the "in-law suite" all of the time, or is it a guest room that gets occasional use? Those all factor in.

Plus there is some math to consider too when calculating room sizes.

Give us some specs and we'll get you started.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #340294 02/27/11 03:19 PM
B
b1jassc Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
B
Nickbuol and Jakewash(Jason),
The media room will be completely walled on three sides and partially walled on the 4th side. It is rectangular... the short sides are 15' and the long is 20'. The opening on the 4th side is 14' and begins at the short side, leaving about 6' of wall on the otherside. I'm sure that ideally I would close off the room, but it will flow into another room which is going to hvae a pool table and a bar. The ceiling of the media room will be 9' which is higher than the rest of the basement so there will be about a foot of wall coming down from the ceiling at the entrance(the 4th side).

The more I think about it the more I'd like to soundproof as much as I can. Which will likely mean that I'm soundproofing the pool room and the bar area as well.

FYI: The in-law suite is used only as a guest room.

Let me know what other info I can provide and thank you!

b1jassc #340324 02/27/11 10:14 PM
axiomite
axiomite
For sound proofing (which keep in mind does not mean acoustically treating the finished room for great sound IN the room, but to help prevent sound from getting out of the room), you will want to make the area completely closed off.

Some basics are a room inside a room like mentioned. "Decouple" the walls and ceiling particularly so that sound doesn't get as easily transmitted between the inside of your theater and the rest of the house structure. This is not the cheapest by any means (read: it costs some bucks) since you can start getting into resilient clips, resilient channels, double layers of drywall with Green Glue (yeah, it is good stuff) between the layers. Insulation all around is good, and caulk "edges" (where the wall meets the floor, etc) with an acoustic caulk....

Don't forget to put in a floating floor to help prevent sound from traveling through and along the main house flooring.

Oh, and you can put a variety of rubberized "membranes" between a lot of different parts of this puzzle as well.

Use exterior grade steel doors to get in and out of the room, and make sure that they seal up nicely around the door frame.

Remove all solid metal air ducts and put in the rounded flexible stuff that looks like plastic wrapped insulation with a large spring holding the shape. Make sure that there are a couple of bends in it to help keep sound from shooting down a straight path in and out of the room. These are the nice things to use soffets inside the room for.

Whew. I am probably missing a lot there...

For the rest of the area where you want to keep sound somewhat contained, I would look at if some level of sound absorption would work OK instead of sound proofing. You could certainly insulate and decouple the ceiling to help with some of the direct sound transmitting through to upstairs, but to keep costs down, see if you can get away with plush carpets, furniture, etc instead and spend the money on the home theater area since those deep bass levels are going to need the most containment.

Get the plan for the main structure of the room(s) and then you can work on the sound treatments IN the room....

Farewell - June 4, 2020
CV #340328 02/27/11 11:07 PM
B
b1jassc Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
B
Hi CV,
Sound isolation is not incredibly important, but good sound and some separation between the basement and first floor means somthing. The room in the basement will definitely open to the other rooms... what does a heavy curtain do> can something like that be put in the opening when we are truly watching and not entertaining?

Kind regards,
Jonathan

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 354 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup