Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Another newbie with Sub sleep mode issue.
#34145 02/17/04 01:42 PM
G
OP Offline
G
I'm having issues with my EP175 not coming out of stand-by mode. Typically, in order to get the sub to play, I have to bump the volume up to a level higher than I want to listen. If I reduce the volume, the sub will continue to play for some period but will go back to sleep when the audio is at quiet scene or just dialog. This is all quite annoying, if the sub does wake agian, it's usually about 10 - 15 seconds after the audio has picked up. My typical listening blend is 70% AV and 30% music.

My receiver is a Denon AVR-3803, where my fronts are set to small with Sub and LFE. Over the past month or so I have varied the crossover setting from a max of 120Hz down to the min of 40Hz. I have also increased the sub level +3, +5 or more which helps the sub stay on longer but it will still return to sleep mode and not switch back on at the proper time. I have also calibrated the channel levels (5.1 config)including sub with an SPL meter. While varying all of the above on the receiver, I have also tried adjusting the crossover and volume on the sub.

The only way that I have found to keep the sub playing is to crank up the volume. There's got to be some other combintaion of sub/receiver configuration to improve my issue but I have been unable to find it. Is there a way to disable the standby mode? I'd gladly manually power the sub on/off to get the desired results.

Thanks,
john

Re: Another newbie with Sub sleep mode issue.
#34146 02/17/04 03:24 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I have also increased the sub level +3, +5 or more

I can't tell from your comment above whether you mean you've increased the level by turning up the receiver's output setting to the sub, or by turning up the volume knob on the sub. Some subs need a little higher input level than others to "wake up." If, when you turn your system on, your overall volume level is low, the sub might not respond to that level.

If you have not already tried this, then try bumping up the receiver's output level to the sub, which will provide a higher input level to which the sub can respond.

First, set your receiver's volume knob (the one which changes the volume for all your speakers) to the level it normally is when you turn on your system. Then go into your receiver's speaker setup menu and raise the output level to the subwoofer by 3 db or so. You might then go to the sub and back off it's volume knob a little to compensate for the increase in the receiver's setting.

Then turn your system off, pause a reasonable amount of time, then turn it back on and see if your sub responds immediately. If it doesn't, repeat the process until it does respond when you turn your system on. If you find yourself having to bump 9 to 12 db in your receiver, then something isn't right.

If you have already tried this, please excuse my redundancy. I just wasn't sure from your post if you had. Hopefully others will chime in with some ideas.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#34147 02/17/04 04:07 PM
G
OP Offline
G
Thanks for the assistance Jack,

I'll try your suggestion for setting the level then powering off/on.

Yes, I was refering to the receiver's output setting to the sub. At my last attempt at tweaking I had the sub settings as, volume mid-range, crossover at the 11 o'clock position. The receiver's sub level output was +5db and crossover freq set to 120Hz. At these settings the sub was functioning fine up to a point where there was an extended lull in the audio at wich time the sub swithced off. It wasn't until about 10 - 15 seconds after the audio picked back up that the sub began playing again.

I'll try your suggestion and increasing the receiver's sub output to yet higher levels.

john

#34148 02/20/04 03:59 PM
G
OP Offline
G
Thanks Jack, I seem to have the sub working better using your set-up technique. On the receiver, I have the sub level at +8db for video and +6db for music.

john

#34149 02/20/04 08:26 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Good! I'm glad that you were able to improve things. If you continue to have a problem, by all means, call Axiom and talk to someone there. They have a marvelous reputation for customer service, and I'd be very surprised if they couldn't help.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 740 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup