"SB, what you're discussing is of course a recognized way of listening to 2-channel material; many receivers have a provision for "all-channel-stereo","5-channel stereo", etc. This is ordinarily only suggested for situations such as listening while moving around in the house or where a number of people(e.g. at a party)are in different areas and it helps in giving some sound in these areas. True stereo imaging isn't possible with the same sound coming from in front and behind, and many(most?)people don't care for the effect. However, if you enjoy it, that's your choice of course."

Yes, you are right. Most of the music I listen to is techno/electronica/dance music. With this type of music lots of satisfaction comes from being surrouunded in the music and feeling it...you know, like when your in the middle of a club with high quality sound system..The panning of instruments and their space in stereofield is kindof irrelevant. When I'm making music its different, I only stick to 2 speakers running at once. Maybe I should make my listening room into a mini club/dancefloor =P.