Audiobyte question
#342002 03/14/11 01:15 AM
B
bluray Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
B
I bought (twice) v3 Audiobytes with the EPZero sub. I say twice, because the first amp was defective; power seemed to fade out momentarily from time to time. No such problem with the second one. However, I hear a distinct hum/buzz from the time it's powered on; gets somewhat drowned out by the music. The left and right drivers and the EPZero all exhibit this "noise." It's independent of volume level on the amp. The drivers have it whether or not the EPZero is connected. I also tried different cable connections with no change. Finally, it's independent of source input (computer or IPod touch). As I'm writing this now, I realized one more troubleshot would be to disconnect the input altogether -- just did and get same noise just from the unit being on. It's not loud, but it doesn't seem right for a product of this purported caliber. Since I haven't yet sent the first amp back, I rehooked it up and frankly hear the same noise. I don't expect silence, but I'm quite disappointed. BTW, I own M80s, VP180, EP800, and two pairs of M22s; love them all. Don't see too much discussion about Audiobytes from all of you. For those that have a set, do you think this noise is normal? Having heard it from two amps, I'm guessing it might just be. Is it the nature of this type of system? I have never experienced it with several receivers and currently a pre-pro and amp just by nature of having a system powered on. One last question. My second amp has what appear to be isonode brand feet. The first had no feet at all. Made me wonder if it's a returned product. Again, amp 1 and 2 both exhibit the noise, so the query on the feet is just a matter of curiosity. Thanks.

Re: Audiobyte question
bluray #342009 03/14/11 02:26 AM
shareholder in the making
I have original Audiobytes, and there is no hum. I have a set of v3s on the way, and I expect there will be no hum from them, either. You sure it's not a ground problem or something like?

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #342012 03/14/11 02:47 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
There should be no noise present and drowning out the hum with music is not a acceptable solution to your problem. Call support.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #342047 03/14/11 12:00 PM
Can you try plugging them in somewhere else...away from other stuff...and just hooking up a battery-powered iPod or disc player or something?

The point is to try to isolate any ground-loop issues....

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #342050 03/14/11 01:25 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hello bluray,

As Mark and kcarlile have suggested, such noise is not normal and all the symptoms you describe point to ground-loop hum. Try connecting the AudioByte amp to a different AC receptacle in your room and don't use a surge protector or power conditioner. Disconnect all inputs. The hum should disappear. If re-connecting any AC-powered device to the Audiobyte amp causes the hum to return, try different combinations of reversing the AC plug on the connected device or using a different (or the same) AC source. One combination will work.

If the hum remains, then call the toll-free number.

Regards,
Alan

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
alan #342103 03/14/11 11:48 PM
B
bluray Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
B
Thanks Alan et al. I will report on my findings when I have the opportunity to play around with it all tomorrow night.

Last edited by bluray; 03/14/11 11:48 PM.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 740 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup